Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 accent 2.0 with 110k. When excelerating from a stop it seems to hesitate or miss in the first 20 ft or so. The service engine light has not come on which idicates to me it's not in the emission sensors. Any ideals where to start looking?

Wonbigfish

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
start with checking the ECU for codes anyways. some do not always display unless the problem occurs multiple times and bad enough for the ECU to recognize it.

contrary to what many believe, the service codes are not just for emissions sensors. far more data there than just that.

do want to ask....accent 2.0...please explain. the accent has never come with a 2.0L engine, unless you swapped one in. if thats the case we just might need to know.

ok now let's assume that there really are no stored codes and you're misfiring. there's a few options here. think fuel, air, spark or FAS.

fuel: i'd consider this unlikely. why? its only happening from dead stop. fuel pump provides constant pressure, if bad injector you'd get problems at high RPMs as well. NEXT!

air: possible air leak, check intake gaskets and intake pipe. very possible vacuum leak. get some of the spray start fluid they use for carbed cars. spray it around with the engine idling. intake manifold, tubes, etc. when the idle picks up, you found a leak. could even be the intake manifold gasket so may not be obvious. even a failed PCSV is possible.

spark: check your plugs. this should really be #1. worn plugs may not be firing correctly all the time. old timing light will show if there is current going down the wire, check plugs visually to see how they are doing. check the gap. don't regap platinums or iridiums. coppers are ok to clean up with a wire brush and regap.

that should get you started. others will have plenty of ideas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry it's regular 1.6 - It still gets great fuel miliage 32. A set of plugs is cheap maint - I should correct myself it only studders for 5 feet. If these are like Elantras it won't have a fuel filter to change.
Thanks Wonbigfish

·
Registered
329 Posts
A silly question perhaps, but have you noticed the hesitation getting worse over time? Do you recall a time when it wasn't there?

My point is that an automatic Accent has a pretty pathetic standing start. Apparently Hyundai didn't want any elderly drivers to scare themselves in the grocery store parking lot, because I'd swear the transmission/torque management artificially cripples the first gear launch.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Accent plugs (OE) is 30,000 mile service interval...

Accent is crap shoot for misfires via bum coil sticks

Accent has had a few PCM updates along the line, tuniing latest software version in PCM ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just started missing real bad - Pulled a code P0303 #3 misfire.
Could this be the coil. It appears coil is part of the plug boot-extention.
Any sugestions?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
sometimes it takes time until the ECU tosses you a bone.

coil is a very good possibility. wire is also a possibility as well as plug.

so do what i already said under spark in my previous post. test wire with a multimeter for continuity (toss it around a bit), if old timing light isn't available pick up a small spark indicator test light for about $3.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
sometimes it takes time until the ECU tosses you a bone.

coil is a very good possibility. wire is also a possibility as well as plug.

so do what i already said under spark in my previous post. test wire with a multimeter for continuity (toss it around a bit), if old timing light isn't available pick up a small spark indicator test light for about $3.
MC Accent does not use plug wires...

Swap coil to cylinder 1, and see if a 0301 misfire detcet comes up... yes,,, you know you have a bum coil, as the misfire followed the movement of the coil..

Accent coil sticks is common problem. Makes sure the plugs good, as MC Accent plugs is still plain old everyday 30,000 mile lawn mower plugs

·
Registered
54 Posts
air: possible air leak, check intake gaskets and intake pipe. very possible vacuum leak. get some of the spray start fluid they use for carbed cars. spray it around with the engine idling. intake manifold, tubes, etc. when the idle picks up, you found a leak. could even be the intake manifold gasket so may not be obvious. even a failed PCSV is possible.
Not to start a debate or anything, as I've never had experience with this, but was watching Eric the Car Guy on finding Vacuum leaks and he cautioned that Starter Fluid or Carb Cleaner could set on fire using that method. Particularly if the engine is hot. Funny enough, he said using a fuel line/rubber hose attached to a propane tank is actually safer. Just a word of caution for anyone, as a fire extinguisher is a good idea to have around to be safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replaced #3 coil. Replaced all 4 plugs. Runs very well now. We got over 100k miles on these copper Champion plugs so I put in the same ones.
Thanks to all for input. This Forum has allways been a great source to get it done.
Wonbigfish

1 - 11 of 11 Posts