Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Elantra has me perplexed. When I take off from a stop, it seems either perfect or rarely might have just the tiniest hesitation. But when the A/C is running, many times when I take off there is a miss or bogging down that seems to go away once the rpms come up. It’s an automatic. I live in an almost desert climate so I’m the summer the A/C is very important like now. I checked for codes and it shows none but I do remember that my mother told me when she was borrowing it for a time that the check engine light came on for a bit. I thought maybe tps or mass air sensor. But I could be totally wrong. Any ideas? I’m at my wits end.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
How many miles on it? Have the plugs been changed?
Clean the MAF sensor if it has one. Clean the throttle body.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It also may be a problem with EVAP system. I recently replaced charcoal canister and vent valve on my 2003 Elantra and noticed that engine become more smooth at idle speed, with and without A/C...
But this is just one of multiple possible reasons for rough idle.... Does your Engine RPM changed when you turn A/C on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles on it? Have the plugs been changed?
Clean the MAF sensor if it has one. Clean the throttle body.
The plugs have not been changed. It has 80,000 original miles on it. It was a second car most of its life. It’s so sporadic. One minute it’s fine then just like flipping a switch, I take off from a stop and it’s at half power. I will change the plugs. I am pretty handicapped but I need to try to do what I can on my own. How hard is it to get to the MAF sensor if you know? I ran a full cam of Berrymans through it when I first noticed it getting worse but it seemed to do no good. Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It also may be a problem with EVAP system. I recently replaced charcoal canister and vent valve on my 2003 Elantra and noticed that engine become more smooth at idle speed, with and without A/C...
But this is just one of multiple possible reasons for rough idle.... Does your Engine RPM changed when you turn A/C on?
Where was your charcoal canister located? Like I mentioned above, I’m pretty seriously handicapped but I need to try to do as much as I can on my own. Anyway. My engine rpm might slightly drop with A/C. I’ll double check and post it here. I can say that I feel pretty safe in saying that it’s not a huge drop if at all.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The MAF sensor, if it has one, is on the air hose leading to the throttle body.
Google "2003 Elantra MAF" and you'll se what it looks like.
There is a spray cleaner made for cleaning it.
The check engine light doesn't come on when it acts up?
If the light doesn't come on I doubt it's misfire from bad plugs or coils.
Check engine light however should come on for a few seconds when the car is started.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It would be easier to help and identify your problem(s) if you provide more info. How many miles you have on the odometer, when you noticed this problem, is it getting worse, is it start happen after maintenance/service/fix something etc. Any additional symptoms, changes in car behavior, when you change spark plugs, filters, did other maintenance...
As I mentioned above, it may be multiple reasons for rough/unstable idle and/or engine stall, and any additional information may be helpful. Is your check engine light On? Did you try to read error codes?

Charcoal canister located behind left rear wheel, it is relatively easy to access, but EVAP problems usually have another symptoms, so before you start to replace components you need to identify you problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts