Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all ! I want to thanks you all in advance for reading this post and for sharing your knowledge on this car, I really appreciate it!

My GF has a 2002 Hyundai Accent 1.6L w/ AT and 180,000 kms, it never had any major problem only little fix like a gas line leak a few weeks ago that was fixed by my mech for 100$ and the famous "wont shift to 4th gear problem" that was caused by the OD wire in the shifter. This morning it started to have an hesitation problem at low RPM (feels like it's gonna stall when between 0 and 40 km/h according to her). I had a 2001 1.5L MT before and had a very similar (if not the same) problem and I remember that this problem has needed a lot of trials and error and I dont think it ever really got fixed before I sold the car to my mech with a blown head gasket for 200$.

I took an appointment with my mechanic on friday but would like to try a few cheap fix before (we're both students, full of debts, so cheaper is better). To me this sounds like a vacuum leak causing a misfire or a misfire caused by dirty wires. My GF is not in town for the moment but she'll be there tonight (if the car stands the 300 km ride) so I'd like to buy a few parts and try it on my own... I'm dont have much knowledge in mechanics but I'm the DIY kind of guy and I believe most of these fix can be easily done : I was thinking about buying the PCV hose, the fuel filter and a set of wires (spark plugs have been changed 6 mo ago) and try to change everything on my own tonight, then unplug the battery ground, depress the foot brake to completely discharge the ECU's capacitors via the brake lights, replug the ground and then drive the car to re-educate the ECU. To my knowledge all these parts are still "stock" with maybe the exception of the wires (might have been done by the last owner). Do you think it's a good idea, if so does any of you have advices? Also, I know that this problem is sometimes linked to the MAF but in the 1.6L it's a MAP and I dont know the difference between the two... Could this be linked to a bad MAP? BTW there's not check engine light so far (20 min drive in traffic at low speed) but I feel like it's gonna show up soon based on my experience with this problem (mine had a blinking check engine when it hesitated at low speed/rpm).

One last thing, I've read about cleaning the idle control valve with brake fluid and also cleaning it's electric harness (dont know what kind of cleaner to use)... Is it easy to do? Is there's a gasket that need to be replaced if I do so?

Sorry for the long post and thanks again for your help!

Vincent

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (jolyvincent @ Jun 30 2010, 08:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337463
Hi y'all ! I want to thanks you all in advance for reading this post and for sharing your knowledge on this car, I really appreciate it!

My GF has a 2002 Hyundai Accent 1.6L w/ AT and 180,000 kms, it never had any major problem only little fix like a gas line leak a few weeks ago that was fixed by my mech for 100$ and the famous "wont shift to 4th gear problem" that was caused by the OD wire in the shifter. This morning it started to have an hesitation problem at low RPM (feels like it's gonna stall when between 0 and 40 km/h according to her). I had a 2001 1.5L MT before and had a very similar (if not the same) problem and I remember that this problem has needed a lot of trials and error and I dont think it ever really got fixed before I sold the car to my mech with a blown head gasket for 200$.

I took an appointment with my mechanic on friday but would like to try a few cheap fix before (we're both students, full of debts, so cheaper is better). To me this sounds like a vacuum leak causing a misfire or a misfire caused by dirty wires. My GF is not in town for the moment but she'll be there tonight (if the car stands the 300 km ride) so I'd like to buy a few parts and try it on my own... I'm dont have much knowledge in mechanics but I'm the DIY kind of guy and I believe most of these fix can be easily done : I was thinking about buying the PCV hose, the fuel filter and a set of wires (spark plugs have been changed 6 mo ago) and try to change everything on my own tonight, then unplug the battery ground, depress the foot brake to completely discharge the ECU's capacitors via the brake lights, replug the ground and then drive the car to re-educate the ECU. To my knowledge all these parts are still "stock" with maybe the exception of the wires (might have been done by the last owner). Do you think it's a good idea, if so does any of you have advices? Also, I know that this problem is sometimes linked to the MAF but in the 1.6L it's a MAP and I dont know the difference between the two... Could this be linked to a bad MAP? BTW there's not check engine light so far (20 min drive in traffic at low speed) but I feel like it's gonna show up soon based on my experience with this problem (mine had a blinking check engine when it hesitated at low speed/rpm).

One last thing, I've read about cleaning the idle control valve with brake fluid and also cleaning it's electric harness (dont know what kind of cleaner to use)... Is it easy to do? Is there's a gasket that need to be replaced if I do so?

Sorry for the long post and thanks again for your help!

Vincent

The timing belt, the timing belt tensioner, a compression test, and new plugs. At 180,000 kms, it's time I think.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts