Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Elantra with 126k miles. For months it's been randomly hesitating, meaning I'll be riding along and suddenly the gas pedal will do nothing...then about 3 seconds later, VROOOM, the gas pedal will start working again. Recently, it's started stalling as well.

I've already replaced the MAP sensor, input speed sensor, throttle position sensor, spark plugs, wires, and coil pack. Nothing has helped, but it is getting progressively worse (it stalls more frequently, and the gas pedal becomes suddenly unresponsive more often).

any advice would be appreciated. this problem has been plaguing me for a long time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I just joined the forum tonight for similar reasons. I have an 01 Elantra GT with about 76,000 miles on it, and it has started stuttering and acting like it is going to stall when I am idling or at low speeds. It is an automatic, but it feels like my previous manuals felt before they would stall. Hopefully, you will get some good feedback. I saw another similar post and somebody recommended changing the fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I don't understand...does this car have a Mass Air Flow Filter (MAF)? I would think that could be the problem, but there doesn't seem to be one. If it exists, where is it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just an update if anyone is interested...

as it turns out, it was the MAP sensor. i thought i had changed it, but this issue lasted so long and i changed so many things, i just lost track of what i had actually done.

so if anyone is experiencing this, try the MAP sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:banana: Finally! It makes perfect sense.....the MAP sensor! My "check engine" light has been on for at least 2 years....my regular mechanic had "reset" it a couple of times but it just kept coming on. He told me it was nothing, just some of that new "emission" stuff. (He's not my regular mechanic anymore!)
Question: It seems there are 2 oxygen flow sensors, one in the back and one in the front. Which one triggers the "check engine" light?

GHETTO3JON: Did you have both replaced to solve the problem? Is this condition harmful to the engine? We'll have it fixed right away, but I'm concerned because the light has been on for so long! Wish I had found this forum earlier!

prayerwarrior

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (prayerwarrior @ Jun 20 2010, 10:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334792
:banana: Finally! It makes perfect sense.....the MAP sensor! My "check engine" light has been on for at least 2 years....my regular mechanic had "reset" it a couple of times but it just kept coming on. He told me it was nothing, just some of that new "emission" stuff. (He's not my regular mechanic anymore!)
Question: It seems there are 2 oxygen flow sensors, one in the back and one in the front. Which one triggers the "check engine" light?
PRE-Cat for fuel trim (in the manifold) and POST -Cat (downstream of cat) to monitor catalyst efficiency.... failure to input correct data to PCM will cause PCM to turn on the MIL for any number of codes... there is maybe 100 different ways to illuminate the MIL :banana:

GHETTO3JON: Did you have both replaced to solve the problem? Is this condition harmful to the engine? We'll have it fixed right away, but I'm concerned because the light has been on for so long! Wish I had found this forum earlier!
Have the PCM scanned to get exact DTC number(s) and approach each DTC as required... tossing parts is an expensive venture, especially if you have a rust hole in your fuel fill neck tube and it cant complete an Evap test...prayerwarrior

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello everybody ! I aslo have Elantra G4ED / 107 hp / 2003 . I have also LPG injection system like many Elantra's in Sofia which are taxi's and run more than 1 000 000 kilometers. I had sudden and intermittent hesitation at idle and stalling between 1500 and 3000 RPM. Mechanics could not help. I replaced intake manifold gasket which was not needed. One day after 3 months research I found that MAP sensor was the problem. I knocked the MAP sensor with hammer 15 times carefully and observed engine hesitation. After changing MAP and everything is fine now. I had problems finding MAP sensor because it is almost impossible to defect. I know the car has been driven in Germany at extremely high moisture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts