Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 Tibby w/ 163k, have changed the oil every 3k since purchased at 89k. Use platinum plugs and good wires, here recently, I have been having some trouble with hesitation during take off and cruising in a lower gear. I have put NGK-R plugs in a month ago (when it started happening) the problem persisted.
So I put in Denso Double Platinum plugs with a set of Belden wires. The problem still consists but not as much, and particula
rly when I need to get out of harms way.

Not sure what else to do at this point, if anyone has experienced this or has a solution your advise would be greatful

·
Registered
378 Posts
the problem is not in your spark plugs or wires, this sounds more like too much oil has accumulated on the throttle body which has happened to me in the past, get some throttle body cleaner and disconnect the intake at the tb, grab a rag to help clean off, spray the cleaner at the throttle plate while closed and watch the oil come off, use the rag to clean the throttle plate as much as you can with the plate open but do not spray when its open. after you have cleaned as best you can reconnect the intake and get the car started. this will seem difficult at first due to some of the cleaner getting inside the engine but after a few trys it will start up, burn the cleaner out then idle normal. if you want to you can just spray the rag with the cleaner then wipe the oil a little at time until clean at which point you may not have the problem of getting any inside the engine. If this does not fix your problem it will at least help, you may also need to replace the pcv valve which is fairly easy to change itself

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (01 Blue Shark @ Sep 23 2010, 12:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358263
Thanks Dragonmp5, I will give these a try and will give you an update. Thanks again.
I forgot to mention that it's a manual tranny, I hadn't received any MIL's until yesterday when I let a co-worker drive it (won't happen again) now I get a strange smell comming through the vents at times. I was thinking in addition to your suggestion, solenoid ? I will have the code checked. The last time this happened, it was the #1 plug that misfired, but theres are double platinum plugs that are a week old....hmmmm...will keep you posted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok changed the PCV and cleaned out the TB with some Gumout TB and choke cleaner.....Cha Ching !!!! That was the trick, Thanks again !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts