Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Unless I'm misreading it, all that SB is talking about is the proper cleaning of the leather steering wheel (although I can't see the whole bulletin).

·
22,793 Posts
Funny they should come out with that. About 1/2 year ago I began to use Griot's leather care on my seats, per their directions. BIG difference in the feel and the wonderful leather aroma that it left behind. Not promoting the product. Merely mentioning it for illustration purposes.

My original wheel had been replaced prior to the Griot's purchase. As an afterthought, I also applied it sparingly to the wheel. My thought processes was this: If the new wheel began to show signs of peeling (more of a flaking, I suppose), I'd go down and have them order me a new one under warranty. Why not give it a go?

Only performed 3-4 applications to the wheel, to date. Bi-weekly applications to the leather seats, however. I digress. The steering wheel looks magnificent. So far, there have been no signs of peeling , cracking, discoloration, nothing. But I must also remember that this IS a replacement wheel. It's possible that whatever caused the initial peeling on the first wheel was corrected by the vendor supplying them to Hyundai. Time will tell. I'll let you know if anything changes.

Worst case? I go to Dallas metro and have it completely redone by the same company that did Andrew's (Lovemysantafe) Emma. His steering wheel defies enough adjectives to accurately describe its beauty. Something you would expect from Maserati, Lamborghini, etc.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
1st wheel peeled at 18k miles, now approaching 59k and the replacement still looks brand new. I didnt use any product to treat the original or replacement.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Interesting thought. a little spa time for the cow and you're good to go.

I gotta admit though, dirty leather does dry out and crack.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i'v got 34k miles on my car, and my steering wheel is flaking like all the rest of them.

would i still be able to have them try to replace it under warranty?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
For those who don't know what OkieRich meant - here is LoveMySanteFe's wheel:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/139898-leather-wheel-recovered.html

i'v got 34k miles on my car, and my steering wheel is flaking like all the rest of them.

would i still be able to have them try to replace it under warranty?
Yes, you should. It SHOULD be covered under the 5-year/60K mile limited warranty.

Now, per the TSB, they might try to clean it up rather than replace it - fine if that works. They also might try to say it is not covered under warranty - they apparently did that to MotorTrend with their long term test car.

If so, you should point out the other thread linked above (the initial link with pics) where dozens of members had there wheel replaced.

This is frustrating, but I'm considering buying an Elantra, and this wouldn't keep me from buying the car. For background:

The OEM wheel is $1200 (not including the airbag), and there is no guarantee that it will last longer than the original one. It would be ridiculous to pay that kind of money if you are out-of-warranty, but if you are still under warranty - it isn't your money ...

If you are out-of-warranty - a $15 cover at AutoZone will hide the problem and look good - for example -

(That's a close up and not very clean - at a distance it looks better).

LoveMySanteFe's wheel cover was around $360, but could be done for $269, but the wheel has to be sent off - but it looks better than most any wheel on any car. I don't know how well it would work with the dealer, but if you are still under warranty (and especially if the wheel has already been replaced once), you might try to get the dealer to pay for this - i.e. "Okay, the wheel will cost you $1200 and you might see me again in another year with the same problem - or this shop in Dallas can recover it for $360 and you will never see me again. Why don't you just credit me for the $360, or we can split the cost and be done with it?"

You probably need to get Hyundai Customer Service involved instead of directly from the dealer, but I would think they would prefer a $360 repair and a release of future liability to a $1200 outlay (but maybe not, b/c Hyundai Corporate doesn't pay $1200 for the wheels, and they might chargeback or with-hold the third-party vendor that does make them (so they don't really care either.)

Just my $0.05 cents ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
For those who don't know what OkieRich meant - here is LoveMySanteFe's wheel:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/139898-leather-wheel-recovered.html

Yes, you should. It SHOULD be covered under the 5-year/60K mile limited warranty.

Now, per the TSB, they might try to clean it up rather than replace it - fine if that works. They also might try to say it is not covered under warranty - they apparently did that to MotorTrend with their long term test car.

If so, you should point out the other thread linked above (the initial link with pics) where dozens of members had there wheel replaced.

This is frustrating, but I'm considering buying an Elantra, and this wouldn't keep me from buying the car. For background:

The OEM wheel is $1200 (not including the airbag), and there is no guarantee that it will last longer than the original one. It would be ridiculous to pay that kind of money if you are out-of-warranty, but if you are still under warranty - it isn't your money ...

If you are out-of-warranty - a $15 cover at AutoZone will hide the problem and look good - for example -

(That's a close up and not very clean - at a distance it looks better).

LoveMySanteFe's wheel cover was around $360, but could be done for $269, but the wheel has to be sent off - but it looks better than most any wheel on any car. I don't know how well it would work with the dealer, but if you are still under warranty (and especially if the wheel has already been replaced once), you might try to get the dealer to pay for this - i.e. "Okay, the wheel will cost you $1200 and you might see me again in another year with the same problem - or this shop in Dallas can recover it for $360 and you will never see me again. Why don't you just credit me for the $360, or we can split the cost and be done with it?"

You probably need to get Hyundai Customer Service involved instead of directly from the dealer, but I would think they would prefer a $360 repair and a release of future liability to a $1200 outlay (but maybe not, b/c Hyundai Corporate doesn't pay $1200 for the wheels, and they might chargeback or with-hold the third-party vendor that does make them (so they don't really care either.)

Just my $0.05 cents ...
thank you

went to run errands after taking my daughter to school and there was no audio from the radio (factory nav unit). headed to the dealer to have them check that out (they just hit the reset button, i didn't even think of that). asked them about the steering wheel and mentioned that there are lots of complaints about the peeling so they had a tech check it out. they did indeed replace it under warranty, they just happened to have a spare one in stock!

·
22,793 Posts
...asked them about the steering wheel and mentioned that there are lots of complaints about the peeling so they had a tech check it out. they did indeed replace it under warranty, they just happened to have a spare one in stock!
I remember when the peeling issue first came to the forefront. Dealers would send you on your way thinking it was all your fault, or there was nothing they could do, normal wear and tear, wasn't covered...yadda-yadda-yadda... Some version of a cockamamie excuse.

On a positive note, more and more dealers have bought into the issue and are addressing it promptly, and with customer courtesy. And, one other point: when the dealers stock steering wheels...hmm...that should tell us something, eh?

Can't help but wonder how much input this forum membership had on the change of heart. Probably will never know. But I do know members have taken printouts of issues corrected to their dealers as proof of warranty repairs. There's power in numbers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts