Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I volunteered to do maintenance on an '07 Accent with auto transmission for an older lady on a fixed income from our church. The car has about 30,000 miles on it.

I have 15+ years of shade tree mechanic experience but no Hyundai specific experience but I figured I can handle this without too much trouble.

Anyway, she wants to have the transmission fluid, coolant and oil changed. I won't have a chance to see the owner's manual until I pick it up to do the work on Wednesday so I was hoping someone could give me the following information:
-Motor oil weight and capacity
-Transmission fluid spec and capacity
-Coolant type and capacity

I've got experience performing all of these tasks so I'm familiar with the basics. Is there anything unique about these vehicles relative to these maintenance items?

Does the transmission pan have a plug? Is it just a simple drain and refill at 30k as it would be on a Honda or is it a drop the pan, replace the filter(s) and gasket, etc.

Other than the obvious things to take a quick look at (brakes, fluid levels, etc.) is there anything in particular that I should also consider inspecting/changing at this mileage.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
5W or 10W30 (personally, I don't believe in putting in the 5W20 recommended on the oil cap on the engine).

Tranny fluid MUST be SP-III or better. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE DEXRON. ONLY use SP-III (it costs a LOT at the dealer, but that's really your only option. Any Hyundai or Mitsubishi dealer).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here are the specs as per factory manual

LUBRICANTS
RECOMMENDED LUBRICANTS

Parts
OIL & GREASE STANDARD

Engine Oil
API SL(SJ) or ABOVE,
ILSAC GF-3 and ABOVE

Manual transaxle
GENUINE PART MTF 75W/85 (API GL - 4)

Automatic transaxle
DIAMOND ATF SP-III, SK ATF SP-III

Brake
DOT 3, DOT 4 or equivalent

Coolant
Ethlyene glycol base for aluminium radiator

Coolant
Ethlyene glycol base for aluminium radiator

Transaxle linkage, parking breake cable mechanism, hood, door latch, seat adjuster, tailgate latch, door hinges, tailgate hinge
Multipurpose grease NIGL grade #2

Power Steering
PSF - III

LUBRICANTS CAPACITIES
Description
Capacities

Engine oil
Oil pan
3.0 (3.17, 2.64)

Oil filter
0.3 (0.32, 0.26)

Total
3.3 (3.49, 2.90)

Cooling system
5.5~5.8 (5.81~6.13, 4.84~5.10)

Manual transaxle
2.0 (2.11, 1.76)

Automatic transaxle
6.1 (6.45, 5.37)

Power steering
0.75~0.8 (0.79~0.85, 0.66~0.70)

Capacities: [liter (U.S.qts, lmp.qts)]

·
Super Moderator
3,818 Posts
The Accent is pretty easy to deal with as far as routine maintenance it needs at this mileage. :thumbsup:  I would suggest going to hmaservice.com and signing up for a free account where you can access owner's manuals in PDF form and a shop manual.

You do have a drain plug on the transmission pan so a drain and fill should be easy. For the fluid in her car, I would only use Hyundai genuine SP-III from the dealer to avoid any warranty implications she might have. It should only set you back a few bucks a quart.

Aside from the fluid changes, the other big thing they need are spark plugs.  They'll either have Champions or NGK BKR5ES-11 from the factory (I use the NGK's, only a couple bucks a piece.)  Easy to change - 4 bolts to remove the engine cover, and go straight to the coil packs, one bolt each there.  No plug wires to worry about changing since it's a coil-on-plug design.

There's a laundry list of inspections, probably the most in depth being inspection of the timing belt. 

Might not be a bad time to replace the cabin filter too (around $15-20 bucks at the dealer.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, another specialized transmission fluid. I wish the manufacturers would consider the consumers and get on the same page with ATF. I guess 99% of buyers don't care and it's a source of income for the dealers and manufacturer.

Will it take 6.5 quarts for a regular service? I assume a few quarts will be tied up in the torque converter and cooler (if it has one).

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Jeff d @ Aug 22 2010, 09:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351180
Great, another specialized transmission fluid. I wish the manufacturers would consider the consumers and get on the same page with ATF. I guess 99% of buyers don't care and it's a source of income for the dealers and manufacturer.

Will it take 6.5 quarts for a regular service? I assume a few quarts will be tied up in the torque converter and cooler (if it has one).

Thanks,
Jeff

Buy 5qt at Hyundai or Kia dealer... ask if they will take back what you do not need...

When trans refill, inspect hot with shifter in "N".. put oil at bottom of/or slight into hot area..

Engine oil, 4qt will suffice, fill it, start it, shut off, verify oil level..

Coolant, mix 50/50 in clean pail, then add to radiator.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Aug 22 2010, 09:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351179
The Accent is pretty easy to deal with as far as routine maintenance it needs at this mileage. :thumbsup:  I would suggest going to hmaservice.com and signing up for a free account where you can access owner's manuals in PDF form and a shop manual.

You do have a drain plug on the transmission pan so a drain and fill should be easy. For the fluid in her car, I would only use Hyundai genuine SP-III from the dealer to avoid any warranty implications she might have. It should only set you back a few bucks a quart.

Aside from the fluid changes, the other big thing they need are spark plugs.  They'll either have Champions or NGK BKR5ES-11 from the factory (I use the NGK's, only a couple bucks a piece.)  Easy to change - 4 bolts to remove the engine cover, and go straight to the coil packs, one bolt each there.  No plug wires to worry about changing since it's a coil-on-plug design.

There's a laundry list of inspections, probably the most in depth being inspection of the timing belt. 

Might not be a bad time to replace the cabin filter too (around $15-20 bucks at the dealer.)
A few bucks a quart? Lol. Dealers around here charge $16/qt! Royal purple was actually LESS expensive for me.

·
Super Moderator
3,818 Posts
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Aug 22 2010, 11:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351212
A few bucks a quart? Lol. Dealers around here charge $16/qt! Royal purple was actually LESS expensive for me.
It is here in the heartland. :grin:  The dealer charged me something like $5.94/qt when they did the flush in 2008.  I recently checked the Kia dealer for prices, they were somewhere in the $6 range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, got it done but now I'm doubting myself on something. There were what appeared to be 2 drain plugs on the transmission. One on the pan and the other on the lowest point near the driver's side CV joint.

I drained from both then added 3 quarts through the dipstick hole which brought it up to the Hot level after driving for 10 mins.

I'm now wondering if I should have drained both or if the one on the transmission itself was some kind of magical reservoir that I should have left alone.

Can anyone confirm or deny if I should have done this? If not what do I need to do to correct it?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can find no mention of this other drain plug in the service or owner's manuals. I'm just hoping I didn't drain something that needs to be refilled separately from pouring ATF into the dipstick hole. It's really stressing me out now.

Can anyone who has changed ATF on this car comment about the dual drain plugs?

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (Jeff d @ Aug 23 2010, 09:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351484
I can find no mention of this other drain plug in the service or owner's manuals. I'm just hoping I didn't drain something that needs to be refilled separately from pouring ATF into the dipstick hole. It's really stressing me out now.

Can anyone who has changed ATF on this car comment about the dual drain plugs?
I've changed my own. There is only 1 plug for the ATF. Not sure what other plug you found. Take some pictures please.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I don't have the car anymore so I can't take pictures.

I found this diagram from the service manual and put a red arrow to the drain plug that I pulled first. A decent amount of ATF came out of it. I put it back then realized that there was a plug on the other side of the pan pointing towards the front of the car just above the plastic air dam. I pulled the pan plug and more ATF came out. Then I refilled with 3 quarts.

BTW the SPIII was like $5.50 a quart at the Hyundai dealer in Baton Rouge, LA

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was mistaken in my previous post and pointed to the wrong plug on the service manual diagram. I will correct that in a minute.

See the attached pic for the secondary drain plug that I removed. The picture was taken from near the front, driver's side tire with the camera pointing towards the front passenger side tire. I talked to a "tech" at the Hyundai dealership. He said they don't normally pull that one but he thought it was just another plug at the lowest point in the transmission housing. He said I "should be alright". This seems pretty logical, just like it did when I was doing the work but the last thing I want to do is screw something up on this lady's car when she already has no money to cover the maintenance.

What about the fact that I could only fit 3 quarts in there? Based on other vehicles that I've drained and refilled this seems like an appropriate amount but is there really that much ATF tied up in the rest of the system? I did find another post on here where someone drained the transmission and it only took 3 quarts to refill.

With the transmission warmed up, in neutral, engine running it's at a hair above the upper "HOT" dot.

Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,818 Posts
That was the same thing I thought was the drain plug the first time I crawled under there, then I saw the one at the front of the pan.

3 quarts isn't much but who knows how much fluid the torque converter felt like hoarding... Sometimes quite a bit! Plus with the location of the drain plug, gravity seems to me like it would also be an issue. Over in the 4G Sonata forum, I once read someone mention jacking the back of the car up to get more fluid out (not sure if their plug is on the side of the pan like in these cars.) That seems like it might work considering the plug location, leaving the front on the ground and raising the back could shift a little more fluid toward the front of the car.

You can always have her drive it for a while and allow the old and new fluid to mix, then do another quick drain/fill. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just hope the other drain plug was not a separate reservoir for the differential. I have a manual car, so I don't know, but the only automatic I've ever owned ('92 Camry) had a separate container for the differential fluid, but I took transmission fluid. I remember reading about stories people frying their differential after draining from both plugs and only refilling the tranny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts