Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to attempt to change the serpentine belt on my 07 sonata 3.3 v6. I was wondering if this is something you can do with regular hand tools, and do not need some type of special tool. I was reading somewhere that you can get at the belt tensioner easier if you take off passenger tire and go thru the hole in frame to get at tensioner. I'm creeping on 60k miles and am getting ready for a long road trip.

What I do not want to happen is to get old belt off...then cant get new one on again. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Piece of cake... Sonata I go through wheel well, remove tire and silly panel..

Look at the tensioner, it has a 19mm hex on the arm, use a swivel 6 point socket on long extension to move the arm and flip the belt off...

Install new belt, turn tension arm, slip belt back on last pulley of choice.

All done

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
CONTINUED from post #2 above --

This was Santa Fe yesterday, but Sonata is same 3.3, just you will be slight tigher getting at the tensioner.. Just use a long handle ratchet for leverage though to turn the assembly..

Attachments

Reactions: Aquadisiac

·
Registered
179 Posts
I guess some of you are very lucky.. My wife's Sonata (3.3 V6) is starting to make some ticking noise from the serpentine belt area at 63K miles.

Those pictures were very useful.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I guess some of you are very lucky.. My wife's Sonata (3.3 V6) is starting to make some ticking noise from the serpentine belt area at 63K miles.

My Sonata 3.3 was making some interesting sounds too, it has 70K miles on it and the idler pulley needed to be replaced. After that it's been dead silent. It was a very easy change, no need to take it to a shop unless your in a hurry. Thanks again Sbr for the help!

·
Registered
91 Posts
My Sonata 3.3 was making some interesting sounds too, it has 70K miles on it and the idler pulley needed to be replaced. After that it's been dead silent. It was a very easy change, no need to take it to a shop unless your in a hurry. Thanks again Sbr for the help!
Was it like a whirring sound? almost like a supercharger?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Was it like a whirring sound? almost like a supercharger?
25286-3C100 will remedy that sound..

Want it to last a lot longer .... carefully pop one of the dust seal on the ball bearing, and fill it with some MOBIL-1 synthetic grease,,, you'll find there is no lube in the bearing assembly.. re-assemble the seal back to the races, wipe off excess mess, assemble bearing to engine

·
Registered
134 Posts
While there, inspect your Pulley Damper(thats the big pulley in the bottom center) because it is a balencer and crank pulley in one, the rubber part likes to fail and come apart and then your belt walks off the pulley.

If you have the belt off you should look into changing it out, they all fail it is just a question of when

·
Registered
335 Posts
Trying to find some edification here. Correct me if I'm wrong but...

The 2.4 has two idler pulleys. One is between the water pump and the power steering pump and the part # is 25287-25000, the other is between the alternator and the power steering pump and the part # is 25287-25100. Microcat is not easy...

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yes, indeed sir! Check that idler pulley. It's 23.28 on ebay
Flea-bay.....

You can visit local Hyundai or Kia dealer during lunch break and have the part in hand with no hassle for $31.55,, and be done with it that evening.

Why order online and have it show up as wrong part, lost/damaged shipping, credits, and all kinds of other fun stuff ?

·
Registered
249 Posts

my engine used to have a quiet tune (single tune) now it makes noise (louder, click click click (not loud or crazy but definitely audible outside vehicle)) I thought it had something to do with the oil i use/engine (cause I DIY) Mobil 1 full synth 5w20

Do you need to change any fluids? (116K mi) power steering/coolant etc. I had Trans done at 100K but they only changed fluid not filter

1 - 20 of 38 Posts