·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I read these threads:

Keyless Remote Receiver Reset

Replacing Remote Key Control 2003 Sonata

And got some great instructions on how to access the unit in my 2003 Sonata to program a new remote. However, I'm having a hard time with the first step -- Removing the center facia panel.

I'm right in assuming that it's the faux wood cover surrounding the stereo and A/C controls, right? On my car, it is snug as anything and I can't figure out how to pop it off without breaking it.

I haven't tried using a flathead screwdriver to probe around yet, but I wanted to ask advice before trying that and possibly causing some damage.

I've included a slightly grainy pic of my car's center panel (sorry for the quality). If anyone can point to specific points to go after, I would appreciate it.

Any advice is helpful! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently reprogrammed the keyless entry on my '03 Sonata and I started by opening the ashtray and gently pulling on the lower left corner of the faux wood paneling on the facia panel with my fingers. It popped off with some moderate pulling and then I was able to pry the panel off by hand. By far the hardest part of the reprogram for me was flipping to control box to "program". I had to break the box off from the metal frame before I could access the switch. Having a dental pic and mirror wouldn't hurt since the switch is on the side of the box facing away from you looking in through the facia panel port and toward the engine. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (garumbai @ Jul 5 2010, 12:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338894
I recently reprogrammed the keyless entry on my '03 Sonata and I started by opening the ashtray and gently pulling on the lower left corner of the faux wood paneling on the facia panel with my fingers. It popped off with some moderate pulling and then I was able to pry the panel off by hand. By far the hardest part of the reprogram for me was flipping to control box to "program". I had to break the box off from the metal frame before I could access the switch. Having a dental pic and mirror wouldn't hurt since the switch is on the side of the box facing away from you looking in through the facia panel port and toward the engine. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably try this this weekend. And I actually have a small tools mirror that I can use! Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to the post by Garumbai!
Using his tip, I was able to get the Facia off easily and without breaking it. I tried the Dental Pic and Mirror trick he recommended, but I could not flip the switch. There was only about a quarter inch of room to work between the control box and the metal, and I think the dental pick had too much of a bend in it so that wasn't working.
I could see that the control box had two tabs on the top where two halves were pressed together, so I used the dental pic to gently lift the plastic behind the tab until it popped over the tab, then I did the second one, and the box was able to be removed so I could access the switch. If you do this, be very careful as you remove the box from the mount, since there is a circuit board inside and you wouldn't want to short it out.
If you are programing two key fobs, only press either the lock OR the unlock button once on each fob. I was pressing lock, then unlock on one fob, then doing the same on the other only to find that just one of the fobs would work. Pressing once on each fob solved the problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey guys, I'm trying to do this on my '04 Sonata and I got the facia off and I see the box but how the heck do you remove it so that I can access the switch? It looks like there's clips on it that hold it in place but I don't understand how to unhook them.

I'll appreciate any help given. If you guys need help looking for the box, I can snap a pick if you really want.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just pull the cover right xabove the climate control center, the radio and then above the clock, and then work your way around the outside edges. The plate should pop out because they are held in with push style clips

1 - 6 of 6 Posts