Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here but used the forum to find lots of info for my recent travails with my 2006 Sonata 2.4L. Thanks for all the good info you all post.

Short history -- My Sonata had been practically flawless until Sept last year. Oil Pump failure leading to broken rods, cracked crankshaft - total engine failure at 121,000 miles. After LOTS of discussion and heartache had the engine remanufactured by a local guy who seemed to do a real fine job. Put the engine back in with my Father-in-Laws help (he's the one who knows TONS more than me). Ran fine until about a month ago. P0605 code (ROM error) with subsequent engine shutdown. Replaced engine computer (PCM, ECM, whatever you call it) - bought salvaged from LKQ. Did NOT have it cleared and setup by the dealer. Plugged in and car's run fine for two weeks.

Current problem -- What I would call a periodic (once every 10-15 times it's in Park) slightly rough idle when in Park with check engine light finally popping up today. OBD code P2187 System Too Lean At Idle Bank 1. I have never had this trouble code before today.

My questions -

Could this be just a PCM issue that I need to have the dealer 'reset' the PCM for a fresh start? Can anyone do it (I have a mechanic I trust and he's not the dealer), I'm not particularly fond of my local dealer. Or is it an actual issue with the car and not the PCM?

If it's a car issue, I've found O2 sensor, MAF sensor, and intake manifold replacement. Which is the best place to start? Any other places I should be looking?

Lastly, the idle really does not seem bad. Is there harm in just letting it go and driving it? Does a lean idle cause future problems down the road?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shoot, I don't remember (just installed them with the new engine). They were the iridium spark plugs I'm pretty sure.

Does that make a difference for something - what's you're line of thought?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll go back in my records and find what we installed -- I'm pretty sure we bought whatever was recommended as OEM by our auto parts store.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Broken intake gasket at cylinder #1,,, can of carb with engine at idle, carefully spritz carb at #1 intake runner where it meet the cylinder head.. sometimes you can hear it if frequency right to hear the hiss of vacuum leak..

Replace intake gasket.. gravy ticket !!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Broken intake gasket at cylinder #1,,, can of carb with engine at idle, carefully spritz carb at #1 intake runner where it meet the cylinder head.. sometimes you can hear it if frequency right to hear the hiss of vacuum leak..

Replace intake gasket.. gravy ticket !!

+1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts