Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
That oil is fine, and changing the oil + those filters is the first thing you should do to any new car. (Unless you know the oil is new.) (Always do oil change + oil filter at same time) You may need an oil filter wrench, those aren't expensive. Other fluids to inspect for condition include power steering, brake, and transmission.

The flickering oil light may be due to a few things. Check current oil level to make sure its not low. If it is low, add oil and try it again. If the level is fine, I think it's an oil pressure pump which means the oil pump isn't working right, or something along those lines. Do this before doing a full oil change, just in case it has to be disassembled, you don't want to waste a full oil change.

Cigarette lighter: see many topics about removing radio. Note the procedure for pulling out the dash. You may have to pull out the ventilation cables fully, but then you should have full access to do whatever you like with your lighter socket.

Driver door lock: perhaps broken/disconnected linkage, or maybe broken lock assembly? (It might be expensive getting a lock cylinder replaced, as it will have to be fit to your key.) Does it turn and do nothing, or is it stuck, eg: you can't turn the key fully?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, I'd say if the power steering fluid and brake fluid don't look really dirty, you are probably fine. They rarely need to be changed.
Check the transmission oil for a burnt smell and appearance. If it seems burnt, consider changing it.
Spark plugs + wires: If the engine isn't running well, consider replacing them. Otherwise, they are probably fine. You can always pull them out and inspect them. (Just google for what spark plugs should look like.)

How much oil? My 1.5 takes less than 4L. You should be fine.

Lock: Haven't messed around with these at all, but either your lock is wrong the wrong lock, or the cylinder is broken, or the linkage is broken. If the cylinder is wrong or broken, you can try disassembling it, if you want you could take out the pins from the lock, and then rekey just one or 2 pins, just enough to have it kinda work, but not as secure. (Locks are one of my hobbies though, not sure how easy this will be for people who aren't used to working with locks.)

·
Registered
139 Posts
No oil in the dipstick -> That's why your oil pressure light is on.

Mayo: usually not a great sign, though it may have been caused by the oil. Put in oil and see how it runs. Could possibly be caused by blow-by as well, which might be that bad because of the lack of oil.

Coolant: Are you talking about the plastic tank at the side of the engine? Thats an overflow tank, do not worry about that. You need to check the level by looking into the radiator itself, thats the cap right by the hood release in the front center, it has a big warning not to open it while hot. You should see the fluid, and it should be almost all the way to the top.

BTW: How many miles/km are on this car?

·
Registered
139 Posts
If he flushed the engine, I would hope he put in a new filter. Otherwise, you'll basically have to flush 1/2 of it again....

window washers: if you have a test light or multimeter, check if there is power getting to the pump's wires.
Spark plugs: Doubt they need changing.
number plate lights: check bulbs? Or wiring?

·
Registered
139 Posts
air filter: If you cant figure this one out, you shouldn't be looking under your hood.

oil filter: Underneath your alternator. Usually you put your car on axle stands or drive it up a ramp so you can get underneath for an oil change. You'll need an oil filter wrench to remove it. If you remove it before clearing the engine of oil, 1/2 the engines oil will spew out of the oil filter's hole, and you'll have a huge mess both in your engine bay and on your floor. don't be stupid and do this.

window washers: do you have window washer fluid in the tank? Maybe the motors are clogged with crap? Take them out and clean them.

spark plugs: As I've said in the past, don't bother. If its running fine, its not a concern.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.