1 - 13 of 13 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

i hope you all doing well.

this is my 1st post in the club so bare with me

i have just acquired a HYUNDAI ACCENT LSI 1341cc 5 DOOR 1998, it drives well and everything but it does need some work which i would like to do my self so i can learn about cars a bit more.

i dont think it has been serviced for a while and i dont have a service book handy so no idea about its history.

Things i think that needs to be done and please suggest anymore if i have missed any:

- change oil - (I have Fuchs TITAN XTR 5W-30 High Performance Fuel Economy Synthetic Engine Oil - would that be OK for the engine?)

- change Oil filter - (that should be easy, do i need any equipment for this)

- change Air filter.

also the things i want to fix but dont know how:

- the cig lighter connection is loose (really need this for the satnav, is it easy to tightened).

- engine oil light keeps flickering on and off and then it stays off for a while.

- driver door lock doesnt work when trying to turn the key.

- rust on the arches.

any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for reading and time

·
Registered
139 Posts
That oil is fine, and changing the oil + those filters is the first thing you should do to any new car. (Unless you know the oil is new.) (Always do oil change + oil filter at same time) You may need an oil filter wrench, those aren't expensive. Other fluids to inspect for condition include power steering, brake, and transmission.

The flickering oil light may be due to a few things. Check current oil level to make sure its not low. If it is low, add oil and try it again. If the level is fine, I think it's an oil pressure pump which means the oil pump isn't working right, or something along those lines. Do this before doing a full oil change, just in case it has to be disassembled, you don't want to waste a full oil change.

Cigarette lighter: see many topics about removing radio. Note the procedure for pulling out the dash. You may have to pull out the ventilation cables fully, but then you should have full access to do whatever you like with your lighter socket.

Driver door lock: perhaps broken/disconnected linkage, or maybe broken lock assembly? (It might be expensive getting a lock cylinder replaced, as it will have to be fit to your key.) Does it turn and do nothing, or is it stuck, eg: you can't turn the key fully?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey

really appreciate your reply

ya i think its a good idea to change oil and filter too, as i don't think the car has been regularly maintained and i got it late last night so not had time to fully check it and clean it. i haven't checked the oil level and condition of it yet.

no idea how to inspect, power steering, brake and transmission oils, so any tips would be great?

will double check oil asap. as i dont have the manual how many litres is required for the engine as i only have 5L?

i will double check for topics in regards the cig light and removing the dash for a new stereo. thanks

would it be a good idea to change the spark plugs as well you think?

and driver lock, no it doesn't turn at all to either sides.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, I'd say if the power steering fluid and brake fluid don't look really dirty, you are probably fine. They rarely need to be changed.
Check the transmission oil for a burnt smell and appearance. If it seems burnt, consider changing it.
Spark plugs + wires: If the engine isn't running well, consider replacing them. Otherwise, they are probably fine. You can always pull them out and inspect them. (Just google for what spark plugs should look like.)

How much oil? My 1.5 takes less than 4L. You should be fine.

Lock: Haven't messed around with these at all, but either your lock is wrong the wrong lock, or the cylinder is broken, or the linkage is broken. If the cylinder is wrong or broken, you can try disassembling it, if you want you could take out the pins from the lock, and then rekey just one or 2 pins, just enough to have it kinda work, but not as secure. (Locks are one of my hobbies though, not sure how easy this will be for people who aren't used to working with locks.)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi

thanks i think i know where the power steering and brake fluid oils are under the hood but the transmission i really dont have any idea?

i know what the spark plus are and where they are, they are fairly cheap to replace as i,m planning to buy the parts my self and fixing it my self, how many are they for the 1.3 engine?

Oil wise i will put in 3.5L and take it from there, to empty the old oil is the sump underneath the engine is that hard to change the oil or is it a matter of loosing the sump screw?

the key fits on the other lock but is just the whole door needs to look, i cant see any signs of damage or replacements but the window on the same door get stuck when its winded up, i think someone may have tried to do something but didnt do a very good job.

in terms of rust i have rust on the rear arches and on window pillar and i cant see anymore, i was thinking of maybe doing these my selfs, do you have any starting pointers or any guies you can direct me too?

thanks

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi

quick update

i dod a quick check today and found i couldnt get any oil from the dip as well as no engine coolant at all in coolant tank.

i took it a mechanic (family friend)

we found there was mayonnaise (not actual mayo) when we opened the oil screw to put some oil in, so the mechanic said is either condensation or maybe a blow gasket.

·
Registered
139 Posts
No oil in the dipstick -> That's why your oil pressure light is on.

Mayo: usually not a great sign, though it may have been caused by the oil. Put in oil and see how it runs. Could possibly be caused by blow-by as well, which might be that bad because of the lack of oil.

Coolant: Are you talking about the plastic tank at the side of the engine? Thats an overflow tank, do not worry about that. You need to check the level by looking into the radiator itself, thats the cap right by the hood release in the front center, it has a big warning not to open it while hot. You should see the fluid, and it should be almost all the way to the top.

BTW: How many miles/km are on this car?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i couldnt get an oil reading when the engine was cold or hot, but the oil light just flickers and then its on and then its off so i wasnt sure if its light fault or if its trying to tell me there is no oil.

well, the funny thing is that although there no oil n the engine it ran well and it was generally ok.

on the top of the engine cover there is a bit of oil around the cover but not much, when i popped the hood for the first time when i took the car for a drive the engine bay was dry but not now.

its with the family mechanic now, let see what he says, i also mentioned about the door handle and window problem. but i forgot to mention about there is liquid coming from the windows washer and thats back and front window. the washer liquid is full but i cant get a single squeeze of liquid when i try and wash the windows?

Coolant: Are you talking about the plastic tank at the side of the engine? Thats an overflow tank, do not worry about that. You need to check the level by looking into the radiator itself, thats the cap right by the hood release in the front center, it has a big warning not to open it while hot. You should see the fluid, and it should be almost all the way to the top.

yep i,m talking about the small white tank on the left hand side of the engine, its empty with nothing in it. ohhh right i havent checked the radiator. i will fill it with water when i see it or if the mechanic tells us about the engine.

its 83000 miles on the clock, no service book i can find so no idea about what work has been done or carried out.

i was told that 10/40 or 15/40 are the recommend oils, so the one i have above would that be no good for it as tbh i really dont wanna spend too much on it as i only use it for convenience rather then comfort. and i only paid £100 for the car

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi

quick update

it turns out the engine only had some condensation, the mechanic said that he has flushed the engine and top it up with oil.

i have to admit the car sounds completely different and picks up really well and no i couldn't see oil light any more.

so i spent some time looking at it trying to find some probs and here is the list:

To do:
- Oil Filter
- Air Filter
- Check other liquids levels for topup
- Windows washers front and back not squirting liquid
- Check spark plugs if need replacing
To look at
Exterior
- Front Driver Side door lock not locking or central locking.
- Front Driver side door window not rolling properly
- Front Passenger window doesn’t roll at all
- Number plate lights do not work
- Check exhaust system
Interior
- Cigarette light is loose doesn’t work very well with satnav adaptor

·
Registered
139 Posts
If he flushed the engine, I would hope he put in a new filter. Otherwise, you'll basically have to flush 1/2 of it again....

window washers: if you have a test light or multimeter, check if there is power getting to the pump's wires.
Spark plugs: Doubt they need changing.
number plate lights: check bulbs? Or wiring?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi

no he didnt put a new filter, he said that he flushed it and filled it with oil, he said to me to see how it goes before i i'll bring it next for the other repairs.

to be honest i wanted to change the filter my self with air filter but i couldn't see the oil filter any where in the engine and i havent done it before so i,m not sure what the process is to change oil filter?

the windows washer i can hear the motor when i try to squirt some liquid but nothing is going through the washers.

spark plugs i really dont have any idea if they need changing or not.

number plate i think i can manage that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
air filter: If you cant figure this one out, you shouldn't be looking under your hood.

oil filter: Underneath your alternator. Usually you put your car on axle stands or drive it up a ramp so you can get underneath for an oil change. You'll need an oil filter wrench to remove it. If you remove it before clearing the engine of oil, 1/2 the engines oil will spew out of the oil filter's hole, and you'll have a huge mess both in your engine bay and on your floor. don't be stupid and do this.

window washers: do you have window washer fluid in the tank? Maybe the motors are clogged with crap? Take them out and clean them.

spark plugs: As I've said in the past, don't bother. If its running fine, its not a concern.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey

thanks for your reply

yep the air filter isnt a problem :)

thanks for the oil filter info and will def keep that in mind, i just wish the mechanic done it 1st time round. and noted in regards the sparks plugs?

window washer

there is plenty of liquid in the tank, i have no idea where these motors are, any clues please, i can hear them working but nothing comes out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts