Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting D2 coilovers put onto my car. I just had a few questions hopefully some of you could answer.

1. I'm running 19x8.5 at a +35 offset and 225/40 tires. Will it rub if I lower it?
(just from looking at it, it looks like it would clear)
2. Is the ride going to be extremely stiff? I live in PA and the roads are pretty bumpy.

Also, I don't plan on lowering it really low, just about to where the fender is flush with the top of the tire. (maybe a little lower)

Here is a photoshop pic of my car with what I'm looking to get out of them.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Im also running on 19x8.5's all round and on 235/35's, when it comes to stiff ride it depends on type of coilovers and how good dampering they got.

Lowering wise I dropped mine to about 2 fingers between the tire and wheel well and comfort wise it is the same as if I didn't drop it lower.

And trust me, I got the WORST roads possible here and my setup is holding off decently for the huge holes we got here...

You wouldn't need to worry too much about how low you can go because you can always readjust the height. Im running with 235's and no spacers and I don't rub when turning so you should be fine

·
Registered
592 Posts
Mine were around 2 clicks from halfway towards the soft side I think and it felt just like the SE suspension, so sporty and a little stiff but not hard by any means. Dropping it at flush with the tires leaves no gap which is low and " maybe a little lower" well, starts putting you at the really low you stated you dont want to be at. Pot holes and speed bumps will not be your friends. You will have to change the way you drive, but so is the low life. And there is a ton of info on D2 Racing coilovers here if you search.

·
Registered
221 Posts
A little off topic, but I just gotta say nice job on the photoshop!! I would never have known that was changed if you didn't say it was!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im also running on 19x8.5's all round and on 235/35's, when it comes to stiff ride it depends on type of coilovers and how good dampering they got.

Lowering wise I dropped mine to about 2 fingers between the tire and wheel well and comfort wise it is the same as if I didn't drop it lower.

And trust me, I got the WORST roads possible here and my setup is holding off decently for the huge holes we got here...

You wouldn't need to worry too much about how low you can go because you can always readjust the height. Im running with 235's and no spacers and I don't rub when turning so you should be fine
Thanks for the reply! Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.
By the way, what offset are your wheels? Mine are +35 so thats why I think they may rub.
Also do you have D2 coil overs on yours?
Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little off topic, but I just gotta say nice job on the photoshop!! I would never have known that was changed if you didn't say it was!
Hahah Thanks!
I photoshopped all of the different rims I was looking at, and that how I decided to go with these ones.
It really helps in making decisions for your car!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine were around 2 clicks from halfway towards the soft side I think and it felt just like the SE suspension, so sporty and a little stiff but not hard by any means. Dropping it at flush with the tires leaves no gap which is low and " maybe a little lower" well, starts putting you at the really low you stated you dont want to be at. Pot holes and speed bumps will not be your friends. You will have to change the way you drive, but so is the low life. And there is a ton of info on D2 Racing coilovers here if you search.
Thanks a lot for the reply!
I think I will definitely stay flush with the top of the tire. No lower, just from what I'm hearing. Im running with Eibach lowering springs now, but I am just not happy with the height. They don't look that much lower and people constantly say it doesn't look any lower.
You said about having them 2 clicks toward the soft side, About how low were you, near the tire?
And do you have D2's as well?Are you happy with them so far?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another pic of the height I'd like to have

here is another pic from another members car.
This is the height I would like. so I don't think I'd have any rubbing issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
hoh, are those the Genesis coupe 19's? they actually look **** good! He's running 40's though so I'd say his height is adjusted to the same height as mine if I were to run on 40's

Im not using D2's instead im using BC Type BR. At 30 clicks adjustable softness/hardness im at 29 soft because the roads here are covered in potholes, cracks, holes, speedbumps, caved roads due to overloaded trucks (it's a nightmare) on every road but the softness is pretty decent....

Only regret I have is going with 35's. Mine are also like yours 19x8.5 et35 (no spacers) on 235/35/19 with no rubbing while turning/speedbumps etc....

If you want to have the car as low as in the PS you did you definitely will have to run camber though to make tight turns.... problem with 8.5's is your turning radius is way larger than on the stock rims.

Heres a pic on my ride height

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hoh, are those the Genesis coupe 19's? they actually look **** good! He's running 40's though so I'd say his height is adjusted to the same height as mine if I were to run on 40's

Im not using D2's instead im using BC Type BR. At 30 clicks adjustable softness/hardness im at 29 soft because the roads here are covered in potholes, cracks, holes, speedbumps, caved roads due to overloaded trucks (it's a nightmare) on every road but the softness is pretty decent....

Only regret I have is going with 35's. Mine are also like yours 19x8.5 et35 (no spacers) on 235/35/19 with no rubbing while turning/speedbumps etc....

If you want to have the car as low as in the PS you did you definitely will have to run camber though to make tight turns.... problem with 8.5's is your turning radius is way larger than on the stock rims.

Heres a pic on my ride height
Ok Thanks for all the info!
Not to sure about getting a camber kit on my car. It's my daily driver and i need the tires to last as long as possible.
So if I get coilovers I'll need to get a camber kit? Is that what you have? or is yours a little higher.
The stance you have is perfect and would be great for me.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
actually coilovers already HAVE adjustable camber so you wont need to get an extra kit for that, you MIGHT need to adjust the rear camber though. Mines a daily driver too and my tires wear out evenly, currently 2500 miles on coilovers with no wear on my tires....

My ride height is the same as the pic of the other black one you posted, only difference is im running with 35's and he is on 40's so his looks a little lower than mine in the wheel arches, so you should be fine at that height without rubbing

Currently im running with no camber so they wear out normally. ZERO regrets with going on a coilover system since when I ran on lowering springs the ride was way harder.

Heres another shot of the gap on my wheels, at this height im not rubbing and my tires are wider than yours

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm running 20x9 E38 and 20x10 E45 on my Sonata with D2 coils. I have my dampening set at the stiffest setting and I love it. I also live in Florida so the roads aren't that bad. I do get some rubbing from time to time in the front, but not a biggie. Just part of living the low life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm running 20x9 E38 and 20x10 E45 on my Sonata with D2 coils. I have my dampening set at the stiffest setting and I love it. I also live in Florida so the roads aren't that bad. I do get some rubbing from time to time in the front, but not a biggie. Just part of living the low life.
Nice! Do you have any pics of your car? And how low are you?
I really want to get these but I gotta wait a little longer!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts