Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to upgrade my 2013 SE (with the basic audio option) with a nicer radio and backup cam for a while, but despite lurking here a lot, have never gotten around to it. Well, now my wife is the primary driver so I've gotta get 'er done! :grin2:

Thanks to lots of great advice from here, I ended up going with a Pioneer AVH-2300NEX along with a highly rated backup cam and the various harnesses and such. I've done as much as I can in the house and am about ready to start tearing into the car, but I've come across a few things I haven't seen mentioned and want to get your input so I can get this right the first time (or at least with a minimal number of tries).

I've done a few radio installations before, but never one with this many features, so maybe some of these things are obvious to you guys.

1. Every backup camera installation I've read about powered the camera from the reverse light. However, the installation instructions for the AVH-2300NEX say the camera should be on ACC power and there is a separate reverse signal input to the radio. Will it work either way? If not, any clues on where I can get ACC power in the trunk and where I can get a reverse signal up near the radio?

2. This radio has a connection for the parking brake, but this apparently isn't supplied by the car's harness. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or advice on how to find that wire?

3. Lastly, I'd like to use the built-in mic but it also apparently isn't supplied by the new harness. I'm assuming the built-in mic is connected to the stock radio somehow, so it seems it should be easy to cut the plug off the end of the stand-alone mic that came with the Pioneer and splice that onto the right wires from the built-in mic and voila. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that would help with that?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
go to crutchfield. get a harness/faceplate from them. they will give you all kinds of advice, and answer all of your questions. i installed an 8200nex a couple of months ago, and without their help, i would have had a very hard time. go to youtube to find the parking brake bypass, it is a helluva lot better. not sure about your radio, but on mine, there are 4 rca inputs in the back of the radio. the brown one is the reverse camera input. i remember one of the crutchfield techs saying all pioneer uses the brown input. i had mistakenly used the aux camera input, and i could not get the backup camera to work, until i switched it to the brown input. but our cars have a backup camera already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the good news is that I figured all my questions out and got everything hooked up and working great. I'll add the answers I found below in case they are useful to someone else in the future.

The bad news is that the ASWC-1 absolutely will not work. I've double and triple checked all wiring. The sequence of green/red lights when you auto-program it are correct (it detects that the green/orange wire is connected to the car and that the radio is a Pioneer) and then the LED goes solid showing it succeeded but the buttons are all messed up. Most don't work, a couple work right, and one works but does the wrong thing. I've tried manually programming it which looks like it succeeds but then, once again, the buttons are all messed up. I've flashed the latest firmware and redone the programming procedure multiple times, but to no avail. Unless someone here has had the same issue and has some advice, I guess I'm going to have to go through their tech support and see if I can get anywhere.

So, for future reference, here is some insight:

1. The radio manual was correct. You must connect the reverse signal wire on the radio's harness or it will not switch to the backup camera correctly. I'm still really surprised by this as every article and video I checked beforehand (including those installing similar Pioneer head units) always indicated the radio could switch based on the input signal from the backup camera. This was easy enough as there are wiring diagrams online that show where to find the reverse signal in the Driver Kick Panel area.

2. I also found a few references online that showed which wire in the fuse box to tap into to get the parking brake signal. I don't know that we'll ever watch movies on this screen but since I was already in the area to do the reverse wire, I just went for it.

3. The mic was also very straightforward. The wiring diagram for the radio shows which pins are for mic + and -. The aftermarket harness doesn't pass these through, so I just cut them off the car harness and spliced into them. I wired + to the Tip and - to the Sleeve of the connector I cut off the Pioneer mic and everything appears to be working so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Be sure NOT to ground the wire to the brake switch, because it is illegal. The DVD/screen would be on all the time

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
on our install, i bought the crutchfield harness/faceplate kit. our cars have swc. the harness kit is from radiopro, and the module for swc had problems. after the 2nd one, i called radiopro, and the tech there told me the firmware needed to be updated. crutchfield did not know this(but they knew everything else), and i passed it on to them. i had that sucker in and out several times, even tried to manually program it. after the firmware update, it works perfectly. checking their site, i think they give a basic module, then there are firmware updates for every car config. the update was dated 2016, and i just got the harness kit 2 months ago. dunno if you got the same module, but check to see if there is a firmware update. the harness i got does have a reverse input, on the connector side. this worked on the 8200nex, perhaps something similar might work on other models, there are certainly a lot of hacks on youtube:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts