Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the stock speakers in my new Elantra Limited w/Nav. Just to be clear, my audio system is the '360 watt' version with the external amplifier. I've done a lot of research and I know several Elantra owners have gone with the Infinity reference speakers, but I was hoping to get a cheaper upgrade if possible.

I want to keep my factory speakers intact so I don't want to hack and slash the brackets they're mounted on in order to place new speakers into them. Instead, I'd rather have adapter brackets for the new speakers like the ones that are included on Crutchfield.

I thought I figured out exactly what I wanted with the Kicker 40CS654 speakers, high power, great frequency response so I can get the bass I want, and they were recommended by a Crutchfield advisor. My main problem with the current audio system is not as much the bass, more with the mids and highs as anything that's not rap/hip-hop sounds terrible.

However after I placed my order, I did some more research and realized that I may encounter some problems because of the fact that the stock speakers are 2 ohm, while the replacements I'm trying to buy are 4 ohm. I understand that the 4ohm speakers will cut the volume by half and could potentially be blown at loud volumes, so it would be better to stick to 2 ohm speakers.

I'm looking for any guidance on this issue, mainly if anyone has installed 4 ohm speakers and had success with it, or if I should just buy 2 ohm speakers. I'm also in Canada so there really isn't much selection for me in the price range for 2 ohm speakers :(.

Thanks!

-Nick

·
22,793 Posts
Did you price the Infinity's? Shipping/customs/tax/etc. may make them prohibitive, but Crutchfield's usually has some good pricing on these 2 ohm's. Must be some supplier up there in the frozen tundra where you can get these.

But, don't "settle." If you can't afford what you really want, then start putting away some of that loose change in your pockets and save up for your preferred brand. Besides, who wants to install speakers in the freezing cold of winter? Spring/Summer will make the job much more pleasant.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the stock speakers in my new Elantra Limited w/Nav. Just to be clear, my audio system is the '360 watt' version with the external amplifier. I've done a lot of research and I know several Elantra owners have gone with the Infinity reference speakers, but I was hoping to get a cheaper upgrade if possible.

I want to keep my factory speakers intact so I don't want to hack and slash the brackets they're mounted on in order to place new speakers into them. Instead, I'd rather have adapter brackets for the new speakers like the ones that are included on Crutchfield.

I thought I figured out exactly what I wanted with the Kicker 40CS654 speakers, high power, great frequency response so I can get the bass I want, and they were recommended by a Crutchfield advisor. My main problem with the current audio system is not as much the bass, more with the mids and highs as anything that's not rap/hip-hop sounds terrible.

However after I placed my order, I did some more research and realized that I may encounter some problems because of the fact that the stock speakers are 2 ohm, while the replacements I'm trying to buy are 4 ohm. I understand that the 4ohm speakers will cut the volume by half and could potentially be blown at loud volumes, so it would be better to stick to 2 ohm speakers.

I'm looking for any guidance on this issue, mainly if anyone has installed 4 ohm speakers and had success with it, or if I should just buy 2 ohm speakers. I'm also in Canada so there really isn't much selection for me in the price range for 2 ohm speakers :(.

Thanks!

-Nick
not sure where you are getting your info from....but 4ohm speakers will not sound half as loud, in fact i doubt you will hear any difference in overall loudness.

And a 4 ohm speaker will not blow up at loud volumes based on it being 4ohm instead of 2 ohm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw in some places that the actual audio difference will be about -3dB, which isn't too big of a difference.

I looked for any 2 ohm speakers on Crutchfield and couldn't find any, their search parameters don't allow for speakers to be looked up by their impedance. That plus the Canadian Crutchfield website has a more limited selection...

If possible I'd much rather just buy the 4 ohms and stick them in. I think the 2 ohms would be a huge hassle and cost me almost double what I'm paying now, but I also don't want to bone my audio system when the whole point was to upgrade it haha.

I'll repost in the MD forums too I guess, hope the mods don't kill me

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I saw in some places that the actual audio difference will be about -3dB, which isn't too big of a difference.

I looked for any 2 ohm speakers on Crutchfield and couldn't find any, their search parameters don't allow for speakers to be looked up by their impedance. That plus the Canadian Crutchfield website has a more limited selection...

If possible I'd much rather just buy the 4 ohms and stick them in. I think the 2 ohms would be a huge hassle and cost me almost double what I'm paying now, but I also don't want to bone my audio system when the whole point was to upgrade it haha.

I'll repost in the MD forums too I guess, hope the mods don't kill me
Yes 3db does make a difference..….about a15 to 20 percent difference in sound. Also it does put a strain on the amplifier .
Crutcfield did list JBL and Infinity speakers at 2 ohms..

You could also go to JBL or Infinity web site to get the part numbers and Do Google search

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you get 4ohm speakers, the amp will output whatever it was designed to output at 4ohm. So most likely you wont be overpowering anything...if anything, the amp will be more efficient.

So lets say hypothetically your amp does [email protected] or [email protected] 4ohm speaker rated for 50w will be plenty loud, which is also where speaker sensitivity comes into play. Now if you double the 50w to [email protected], then yes, you essentialy increased +3db (not always the case), at the same time you have to be concerned about clipping/mechanical failure.

I would say get whatever speakers you can afford, that fits and can handle the rated power, has good reviews and a warranty if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm not sure about the exact specifications of the stock speakers (thanks Hyundai) but when I took out the front door speaker it read 20W/40W on the back of it, I'm assuming that's RMS and Peak. The Kickers I got are 2-100W RMS and 300W Peak, so I was hoping that huge difference would make up for the impedance somehow? Still doesn't change the fact that less power is going to the speakers from the amp, IDK.

I'm going to open up a rear door and check if those speakers are 4 ohms or 2, I heard in some places that the rear ones are 4 ohm. And I'm going to see if I can see anything on the amplifier itself in regards to actual specs...

And yeah JBL and Infinity are the only 2 ohms that I would go for, they're just expensive..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do you guys think of the JBL Grand Touring Series GTO638 360 Watts 6.5" 3-Way Coaxial Speakers 6-1/2"?

I can get them for $117.80 + 54.83 shipping to Canada from Ebay, cheaper than what I paid for the Kickers! :p

·
Registered
905 Posts
I haven't heard the JBL's, But have had several dealings with Infinitys in the past, and would recommend them. They stock stereo is not gonna blow them by any means, it's even cut down power-wise to prevent clipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts