Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, it's that time of the year again when we dust off the A/C and see what happens.

This baby blows warm air below 40 mph and blows very cold over.

On my model -2006 Elantra - I've tried troubleshooting the following:

Pressure is good in system.
Both condenser fans (the ones sitting in front of the radiator) are functional.

So I'm a newbie good with tools so if someone can help me much appreciated.

I've searched all over the Internet to find an actual diagram of *where* is the A/C compressor. So this is the only way I can explain it. Imagine you have x-ray vision and you are standing in front of the front passenger side tire x-raying into the car. I see what look like three generator-style contraptions. One around 1 o'clock another around 4 o'clock and another around 7 o'clock. I think it's the 7 o'clock one.

With the a/c on and engine running the belt is turning but it looks like the clutch is not engaging.

What are the specific troubleshooting tests I can do without first bringing it to a dealer?

Please, if you want me to check a fuse or relay, kindly tell me *where* in the engine compartment these are as I cannot find any diagrams of the internals of this system. I do know where the fuse box is and can read that diagram.

Thanks so much. (I really am good with tools - knowledge not so much).

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Here are a couple of videos that show how to test A/C
you can look at other videos which may help you
as for diagrams, usually @wongpfh has diagrams
may be if you ask him??

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
That old of chassis, likely low enough charge to fail allowing PCM to fire the A/C relay..

A/C fuse for compressor clutch in engine room box good ?

Field coil open - short - high resistance ??

Verify charge,, best to recover anythiing and see what weight of refrigerant in system,, need rough 85-100 PSI to allow system to operate

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all! Very useful.

low charge on which side low side or high side? How to check if low enough charge I'm guessing you are referring to the gas pressure?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm. The radiator steam gauge shows only normal heating. So I don't think that's it.

Update in the meantime: the clutch *is* engaging just intermittently. Previously I said I get a/c only when going over 40 mph, but now I've discovered that sometimes the clutch engages at any speed, not just at high speed so I'm wondering if I can eliminate some of the troubleshooting or does this not really make a difference?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Make sure the condenser coil (looks like a radiator, but is the first thing air hits when going through the grill) isn't plugged up with dirt, bugs etc.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
XD cooling system is horrible for problems,, need to be on top of it being secure for leaks, and full of coolant...

Look at the 3 radiator hoses where they all come together at back head,,, is there white stains / crust on elbow hose below the upper radiator hose ???

Look at radiator tank directly opposite the joint for upper hose,,,,, is there a long crack with signs of coolant leak at top of radiator ??

Is the system full ?? Is the coolant clean ?? Is the top of fill neck well defined inside where rubber on cap sit to seal ??

XD can be low on coolant, run hot and not show on gauge,, been there, done that

Thermostat is practically a maintanance item anymore

Reactions: flemmons

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SOLVED: Low radiator coolant. Who would have thought that! Filled it up and bingo, clutch engages, more cool air than I would ever need.

I figured it out when I noticed just the slightest rise in temperature on the steam gauge and the a/c would shut down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts