Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has happened multiple times but this last time was the dangerous one.

I was driving home from work on Friday on the tollway which is very straight but does have some slight turns in it (construction). So I am at highway speeds for some time and one of these slight turns comes up. I try to turn my wheel but nothing happens. I apply more and more force until it finally decides to turn and by that time I am applying so much force, it jerks really hard. If the car didn't finally decide to turn, I would have hit the highway barrier. I am lucky that no one was next to me or I might have hit them.

Has something like this happened to any of you? Air in the system? What was the issue? What's the fix?

Notes:

-This only happens at sustained highway speeds, city driving is perfect.
-It doesn't happen every time I am on the highway, it is intermittent.
-It does not have a bias with regard to direction (left turn or right).
-I have put some Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in my reservoir to add fluid to my system with whatever was currently in there when I bought the car @ 75K miles. Car currently has 130K miles. Is there some sort of write up for PS maintenance/flush? I need to pull the return to drain, right?
-I do have a rubber on rubber squeak sound in the front right when I go over a bump.

Thanks in advance for your help. Please let me know if you have any questions or could use more info.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You could be experiencing a common problems on these cars where they lose power steering because the belt is slipping or the crank pulley has failed.

Often, the symptom happens when you're exiting the highway on the off ramp. This is what I experienced.

In these cases, the car loses power steering because the belt slows down and isn't turning the pump fast enough. You can still steer, but it takes a lot more effort because the power assist isn't working.

On the 6 cylinder models it's often the crank pulley failing. It happened to my 4 cylinder Sonata, but my crank pulley is fine. On my car I replaced the belt and cleaned a bunch of gunk out of the grooves of the pulleys and that fixed it for me.

Perform a search, as there are multiple threads on this topic with more info. Here's just one:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/181-nf-2006-2010-sonata/169626-power-steering-loss-2007-sonata.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts