Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried replacing the rear motor mount but couldn't figure out how to extract it as the sway-bar seems to be in the way.

Basically, the mount is trapped between the sub-frame (bottom of the mount), the sway bar to (behind the mount), and the mounting bracket (above and in front of the mount). According to the service manual, the entire sub-frame assembly needs to be taken down to remove the sway-bar. I must be missing something.

Also, I haven't even tried the front-lower mount yet but any advice on how to replace these would be appreciated!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Motor mount is at right frame rail,, and trans mount is at left frame rail..

The front and rear mounts attached to trans bellhousing is "roll stop" mounts.. this is to keep engine from spinning on the 2 frame rail mounts..

Put car in Park, open hood, and push car back and forth,, see how engine roll slightly and cease movement when inner bumper hit inside of ring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Motor mount is at right frame rail,, and trans mount is at left frame rail..

The front and rear mounts attached to trans bellhousing is "roll stop" mounts.. this is to keep engine from spinning on the 2 frame rail mounts..

Put car in Park, open hood, and push car back and forth,, see how engine roll slightly and cease movement when inner bumper hit inside of ring.
Yes. So how to remove the roll stop mounts so I can replace them?

·
Registered
307 Posts
If I recall - two bolts or three to the frame and one to the tranny/engine.

When I was doing mine, I first removed all the bolts and then wiggle the mounts out. HD Elantra is a bit more packed than XD was . In XD they would come out easily.
Anyway, it was doable without lifting the engine. I do not recall which one went first, but it helped with the other. I think first was the rear and then front, but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are four bolts (2 long and 2 shorter) to the frame and one long bolt that goes through the center of the mount to attach the tranny/engine.

I removed all the bolts, but the mount is wedge in closely with very little wiggle room. Like I said before, the mount is trapped and either roll-bar or the bracket attached to the tranny will likely have to be removed in order to free the mount. I can't even see the bolts that hold the tranny bracket, so I'm hoping this isn't the solution.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes, it is close. But loosen up the other mount. Then the engine will rock. It is enough to remove the long bolt going through the middle of the mount.

However, it is based on my manual transmission Elantra... so if yours is automatic, it might be different.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed all the bolts, including the long bolt going through the middle of the mount. The mount is moving around freely. I then removed the upper motor mount and put a floor jack underneath the motor/tranny to gain some clearance. Moved the motor quite a bit but there's still now way the rear roll-stop is going to come out. Still stuck.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I did not touch the top ones. I removed front and rear and with the freeplay engine got I managed to pull them out. But again - all bolts for both front and rear were first removed and then I wiggled out one of them.

I do not have Elantra anymore, so I cannot tell you anything more now.

Are we talking about sedan 2007-2010 Elantra or by a chance it is a Touring version?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I did not touch the top ones. I removed front and rear and with the freeplay engine got I managed to pull them out. But again - all bolts for both front and rear were first removed and then I wiggled out one of them.

I do not have Elantra anymore, so I cannot tell you anything more now.

Are we talking about sedan 2007-2010 Elantra or by a chance it is a Touring version?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Again, I did mine with some wiggling, but that was GLS, sedan, with 5spd manual.
Doable, but with some acrobatics. No need to drop the frame, although would greatly help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Similar to the original poster I have an 2009 limited automatic. So what you're saying is you released the front and rear anchors which gave you enough play, to lift the trans out of the way and pry the rear mount out. To me it really looks like you'd have to remove the trans mount bracket in order to lift the anchor up and out of the way. The '06 looks so much easier to do.
Thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah, I know. 2004 was a piece of cake comparing to 2009.
Automatic for sure looks different as it has a different mount. It may not be doable as mine.
I do not recall if I removed the bracket, too. I could have.
But all in all - first was the front roll and then rocking the engine allowed me to slide the other one out.
Then filled them with a black polyurethane, cured for 5 hours in moist warm oven, and put them on the next day. Nice and sharp response since then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried replacing the rear motor mount but couldn't figure out how to extract it as the sway-bar seems to be in the way.

Basically, the mount is trapped between the sub-frame (bottom of the mount), the sway bar to (behind the mount), and the mounting bracket (above and in front of the mount). According to the service manual, the entire sub-frame assembly needs to be taken down to remove the sway-bar. I must be missing something.

Also, I haven't even tried the front-lower mount yet but any advice on how to replace these would be appreciated!
I have a Hyundai Accent GLS 2010 and I replaced the front lower motor mount by removing the fan and coolant tube easily enough room.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I removed all the bolts, including the long bolt going through the middle of the mount. The mount is moving around freely. I then removed the upper motor mount and put a floor jack underneath the motor/tranny to gain some clearance. Moved the motor quite a bit but there's still now way the rear roll-stop is going to come out. Still stuck.
OK GUYS I DID THIS JOB AND DIDN'T RESOLVE ANY OF MY PROBLEM, BUT : This is what I did : front mount in 2007 to 2010 remove the coolant fan and you will have every thing EASY.
---- rear mount : You need to remove the Bracket that hold the mount to the engine , three Bolts. There is not other way unless you want to push back and forth the Engine which is danger and painful. Transmission mount has only one bolt that is terrible to remove or put back but with patience you can do it . Is hard to work with the rear one cause there is not space , DAM is too tight there. Good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts