Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help with suggestions on removing what appears to be rust spots on paint. Not sure if that's specifically what these marks are but cannot remove with ordinary washing. I live in Columbus, Ohio so this could be some sort of salt deposits as well. Pictures below:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i'm not seeing anything that is breaking the paint, but its difficult to see here.

rust is lots of fun...all cars rust. i'd give the clay bar a go as suggested first. let's not be hasty at doing any surgery until necessary!

that being said, here's my methods. indigo understands how our cars rust i think :)

easiest thing to do is prevention. sometimes you'll get stone chips and when those go ignored, it will eventually start to rust. if they are caught early enough a dab of clearcoat from a touchup pen/bottle will do wonders. when they are missed, you get the rust.

please keep in mind i don't really care if my car looks spotless. if my body work is close to perfect, i don't care. if you want perfect this may not be the way to go.

to get rid of actual pits i will use a dremel with a very small cutter like an engraving bit. gently remove ALL rust. don't be afraid to widen the pit a little, rust will creep under paint.

next i will treat the area with a rust converter gel - its really just an acid gel, used to be called marine jelly. removes any bits you can't see. clean it off after a few minutes with a degreaser/wax remover.

finally get those touch up paints. dab enough paint in that pit to fill it and let it dry. after, give it a layer of the clearcoat or two. without that, the paint will just come off in no time.

i honestly don't think you're to that point yet, but if you plan on keeping your car long term this might come in handy one day.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so we finally got a nice 75° spring day hear in Columbus Ohio and was able to clay bar my Santa Fe. The clay bar did take care of the rust/iron deposits but really required a lot of time and elbow grease. Needless to say my arms and shoulders got a great workout. Now just need to wash and then apply my Meguires NXT 2.0 wax!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Next time try some Iron X...smells disgusting but it works by capturing the iron deposits and then you just rinse off.......do this before washing and using the clay bar...you know its working when the car turns purple and looks like the car is bleeding.....makes clay barring easier by getting rid of the iron deposit first...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Exactly...

i'm not seeing anything that is breaking the paint, but its difficult to see here.

rust is lots of fun...all cars rust. i'd give the clay bar a go as suggested first. let's not be hasty at doing any surgery until necessary!

that being said, here's my methods. indigo understands how our cars rust i think :)

easiest thing to do is prevention. sometimes you'll get stone chips and when those go ignored, it will eventually start to rust. if they are caught early enough a dab of clearcoat from a touchup pen/bottle will do wonders. when they are missed, you get the rust.

please keep in mind i don't really care if my car looks spotless. if my body work is close to perfect, i don't care. if you want perfect this may not be the way to go.

to get rid of actual pits i will use a dremel with a very small cutter like an engraving bit. gently remove ALL rust. don't be afraid to widen the pit a little, rust will creep under paint.

next i will treat the area with a rust converter gel - its really just an acid gel, used to be called marine jelly. removes any bits you can't see. clean it off after a few minutes with a degreaser/wax remover.

finally get those touch up paints. dab enough paint in that pit to fill it and let it dry. after, give it a layer of the clearcoat or two. without that, the paint will just come off in no time.

i honestly don't think you're to that point yet, but if you plan on keeping your car long term this might come in handy one day.
What Z-G said with one addition. Dab the paint high and after it has dried you can wet sand it with 600 grit to smooth out and then clear coat. If your touch up paint is a match this will almost make the repair invisible.
:grin2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts