Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CE light was on and a knocking/rattling in car, we had p0011 and p0014, and replaced the OCV, per some other forums. Rattling still there intermittently, and codes not cleared after battery reset.

Less than week later car completely died on road with no warning. Dashboard lit up, no strange noises or bangs or knocking, it just completely died--lost power to everything on the road (I still have electricity but power steering and brakes all went--but actual electric is fine), will not start now. If this car had a timing belt, I'd say it blew, but it doesn't. It has timing chain assemly.

New codes from scantool are also showing p0340 and p0365.

Can't find anything on what actually is wrong here or what would have caused it to die like that. Is this just a sensor thing? That seems unlikely since it died. Do we need to take apart whole engine to get at timing assembly or is this something simpler?

Thanks for any help, as car is unusable right now.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Likely chain stretch, that in turn hyper extends the tensioner to where it no hold guide firmly to chain and chain cuts through oil jet tube that oils the chain.. chain possibly jumped time

Should have done something while it was actually making hash type sounds,, maybe too late if it jumped enough to bend valves..

We have seen a few with stretch chains, making hash noise..

Cam cover gasket
Chain
2 rails
Oil jet tube
Tensioner
RTV - Use Hyundai stuff
Oil filter
Drain plug ring
Front crank seal
Drive belt
Engine oil

Not a hard, mild time consuming though.. make sure mating surfaces clean and dry for RTV, do not use surface marring tools on machined surfaces when clean up.. everything has to fit together very flat

OBD-II codes have to be manually erased using scan tool through the DLC to clear PCM memory

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Likely chain stretch, that in turn hyper extends the tensioner to where it no hold guide firmly to chain and chain cuts through oil jet tube that oils the chain.. chain possibly jumped time

Should have done something while it was actually making hash type sounds,, maybe too late if it jumped enough to bend valves..

We have seen a few with stretch chains, making hash noise..

Cam cover gasket
Chain
2 rails
Oil jet tube
Tensioner
RTV - Use Hyundai stuff
Oil filter
Drain plug ring
Front crank seal
Drive belt
Engine oil

Not a hard, mild time consuming though.. make sure mating surfaces clean and dry for RTV, do not use surface marring tools on machined surfaces when clean up.. everything has to fit together very flat

OBD-II codes have to be manually erased using scan tool through the DLC to clear PCM memory

Thank you for the info--regarding the valves, is there a way to tell if they're shot once it is taken all apart? We'd like to know before we order parts. The serpentine belt is still turning when you try to start the engine, does that change diagnosis at all?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

Thank you for the info--regarding the valves, is there a way to tell if they're shot once it is taken all apart? We'd like to know before we order parts.

The serpentine belt is still turning when you try to start the engine, does that change diagnosis at all?
Drive belt driven by crank, as starter is turning crank in attempt to rotate crank for engine to fire.
Remove cam cover and do your general inspects,, use socket to bring engine up to TDC, and verify timing marks as called out in the "SHOP" section of HMASERVICE for the appropriate model.. but if tensioner extended and pop out sideways, you may be able to see down in enough to tell with guide hang way out of place and maybe see chain rub/cut oil tube before front cover off.. Inspect valve clearance maybe, if tulip bent enough into stem, it'll hold valve open and excess clearance between MLA and cam.

Also, could it have been a bad OCV that we put in?
OCV just directs oil via PCM command to advance/retard cam timing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you again for all your help. I'm looking at the shop section, for timing chain replacement it says that i need SST (09231-3K000) after removing starter or SST (09231-3D100) to hold the ring gear after removing the dust cover.
These are two methods to hold the ring gear when installing or removing the crankshaft damper pulley.
Do i really need specialty tools?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Nope.. impact will knock the bolt lose before engine has chance to turn,, same going back on.

We just impact gun the bolt off, slide the pulley off and carry on.. slide it back on, and hit the bolt good and done..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, well i finally got it all apart and i don't see anything wrong with the timing chain. The oil jet tube has not been touched by the chain. The timing marks look like they line up. Maybe it jumped a link and i can't tell. Here are some pictures. I hope someone can see something that i can't.
That was a pain to take apart, i live in Minnesota and i don't have a heated garage.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you
IMG_20131215_160307.jpg

IMG_20131215_160528.jpg

IMG_20131215_160600.jpg

CAM00303 (593x800).jpg

CAM00300 (800x593).jpg

CAM00304 (800x593).jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i've come to the conclusion that it is probably the camshaft position or crankshaft sensor, but since i have it all apart i will replace the timing chain. Does anyone know what the camshaft and crankshaft sensor specs so i can check them? The hyundai site now charges money, that sucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could it be that both camshaft position sensors are bad? Seems unlikely doesn't it. Well I am putting new timing chain on this weekend.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What was the final outcome here, mechman1?

My engine light has come on twice and disappeared in the past 2 months, engine and economy still running beautifully, I managed to record code P0365 when I had my OBDII dongle hooked up to the car while the engine light came on the second time round, but the P0365 code has not been recorded in the ECU history. I'm suspecting it is a faulty cam sensor issue (otherwise the engine would have gone into limp mode), but would like to know what the outcome was for you (even though it looks like you have a lot more error codes).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sonata - Ticking during acceleration P0014

sbr711 - Could you help me out.
I had the same problem this week. Got off the highway and noticed a loud ticking noise during acceleration but if I got off the power and got back on it the noise would go away only to return again.
Checked oil...very dirty and down two quarts. Added oil and the noise became less.
Since then the engine stalled once while stopping at a light. Was able to restart engine.
The only code that I am getting is P0014.
Noise sounds similar to when you shake a pcv valve but much louder

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Kinda wonder about chain stretch and flopping.. starting to see the 2.4 random stretch and tensioner piston hyper extend and not keep tight

Kinda hard to tell as I am not there to see/hear it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well brought it to the dealer. Dealer stated that it was the timing chain and wanted to charge me $1500 plus tax to replace the timing and oil chain. I went and bought the parts but only replaced the timing chain. Oil chain was fine. The timing chain tensioner was fully extended but there wasn't much play in the chain.
Took the car for a test drive...same noise.
Could be
- Worn camshaft lobes
- Worn valve guides or valve stems
- Stuck valves. (Carbon on the valve stem or valve
seat may cause the valve to stay open.

Dealer didn't charge me for the diagnostic - good thing since they were wrong LOL.
I will return to them on Monday and see what they say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Replacing timing chain took care of my P0014 error.
Saw a video on youtube. Guy had the same ticking noise under load. He said dealer replaced his camshaft bearing and it fixed the problem.
Wish I saw the video before i put the engine back together LOL...oh well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts