Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have neglected to check the oil quantity recently on our 2004 2.7 liter Sonota. My wife took me to the airport for a business trip and when she was going back home the oil light was on the entire trip. She drove it about 20 miles. She called and I had her check the oil after it sat about 1/2 hour. She called back and had to add 2 quarts to get it between the add and full line. She started it with no problems and said it sounds fine, but the oil light stays on. Where is a good place to check the oil pressure when I get back and what is the range it should be. If the pressure looks satisfactory and its just the pressure switch I plan to pull the filter, cut it open with a filter cutter to check for metal. So until I get back she has to drive my 79 dodge truck. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Oil light means low pressure not low fluid level. If the light is on then you have low pressure which may be caused by a failing oil pump. "DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR WITH THE OIL LIGHT ON"

It may also be just a failed oil pressure sending unit. You will need to get it checked out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, Is there a test port on the engine I could hook up a pressure gage too? And would you know the operating pressure range? My guess would be around 45psi.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
normally to test oil pressure you get a test gauge and the port is where the oil pressure sensor is (or sender some call it). simply remove it and replace with the gauge.

to find your pressure, visit www.hmaservice.com and look up your vehicle. there will be an idle pressure and a high rpm pressure usually. maybe a mid one as well.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Disregard the coolant leak..

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the information and the pictures. It turns out it was the "check engine light", which turned out to be the purge control valve again. So I replaced that, reset the computer and drained about 1.5 quarts out of the pan and we are good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts