Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with out drilling the car,what is the best way to attach a rear elantra lip spoiler?

I bought one that can with 3m tape and had the dealer install it.
the left side stated to left up. not even on the car for one day.:mad:

thanks

·
22,788 Posts
The VERY BEST method to fix the spoiler problem is to take it back to the dealer! No other ideas, be they creative, expressed, implied, or otherwise noted (to include Hints from Heloise or Dear Abbey) should be followed at this juncture. It's on the dealer. They installed it, it's their problem...not yours.

Turn the key switch, head to the dealer's service department. End of your worries (and the spoiler problem...hopefully). Follow-up with us to see how the issue was addressed and if it was handled to your satisfaction. We're a nosey group that uses feedback to learn. :grin: Good luck!

·
Registered
667 Posts
The VERY BEST method to fix the spoiler problem is to take it back to the dealer! No other ideas, be they creative, expressed, implied, or otherwise noted (to include Hints from Heloise or Dear Abbey) should be followed at this juncture. It's on the dealer. They installed it, it's their problem...not yours.

Turn the key switch, head to the dealer's service department. End of your worries (and the spoiler problem...hopefully). Follow-up with us to see how the issue was addressed and if it was handled to your satisfaction. We're a nosey group that uses feedback to learn. :grin: Good luck!
I agree with this statement. The only concern I would have (and please keep in mind I am EXTREMELY OCD when it comes to my car) is that they drill and don't do anything to the exposed metal from drilling through the trunk which means in the future rust is a probability.

·
22,788 Posts
Oh, Boy!!! I treated all of mine with rust preventer sealant. Then, after it dried added a couple coats of touch-up paint around the edges. There's also a gasket between the spoiler and the deck lid for added protection from the elements. OCD? Us? Nah... ;)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Buy 3M Scotch Mount Molding Tape, 1/2" x 15 ft 03614 at Advance Auto Parts

It won't move til you want it to.

I'm guessing the dealer put it on with some "stress". Move it back a little til it's sitting flat on the deck, but not touching the vertical back. Put the tape toward the front edge, flush with it. dry run this and mask it off at the end points to make placement trouble free.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
My guess is they either didn't clean the trunk surface properly or installed it slightly off kilter. My spoiler has survived 2 yrs of weather abuse and still sitting strong as the day it was installed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree with this statement. The only concern I would have (and please keep in mind I am EXTREMELY OCD when it comes to my car) is that they drill and don't do anything to the exposed metal from drilling through the trunk which means in the future rust is a probability.
Rust will be guaranteed not just a probability if not treated and sealed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dorman - Help TPE Auto Moulding Mount

thanks for your thoughts.
now,has anyone heard or this tape for spoiler installation.?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Is it just a lip spoiler or the factory wing spoiler? I have a lip spoiler mounted only with tape and it hasnt moved. Like others have said, take it back to the dealer, they probably didnt clean the surface or the tape was not up to mounting temp. A pic might help.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
yes, I saw it and went to the website.
that where a the site how the dorman tape.at the right.
Buy 3M Scotch Mount Molding Tape, 1/2" x 15 ft 03614 at Advance Auto Parts
That's the tape you need. It can be found at most auto parts stores sometimes called molding/emblem tape. Just remember, the clean process cannot be overlooked. Another tip is when seating the spoiler, if it's not aligned, don't force it into position. It must sit evenly and completely flat before the backing tape is removed.

·
22,788 Posts
I still think he needs to hold the dealer accountable. Why buy stuff to fix it and waste $$$ when it is clearly the dealer's responsibility? Keep you money in your pocket, kid. Go spend the dealer's, instead. He's got more than you do!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts