Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa Fe 2.4 petrol 2003

I was driving home the car lost all acceleration and would barely idle. I had a code reader but no faults indicated.

The petrol pump relay was not working – positive on one side no earth.

Managed to get a scrap relay, pump and ECM – changed all three no change

Changed the Crank sensor.

Car started but still the same problem. No power under acceleration and will stall if throttle kept open.

Changed MAF, MAP and Cam sensors – still the same problem.

Checked all vacuum pipes.

Checked Petrol pump and output was around 60 psi. (at the pump - dont have the adaptor to test on the fuel rail)

Purchased computer diagnostic software (engine check by Gendan) it indicates no faults but what is concerning is that the timing goes up to 24 degrees this seems very wrong to me. (would have expected 5- 12 degrees ish)

I believe this has to be an electrical problem but I’m out of ideas.

Any suggestions welcome other than scrapping the car !

·
Registered
16 Posts
We had a similar problem with our 2004 last year. It would run fine, then all of a sudden, the rpms would plummet, and it would chug along barely under its own power before shutting off and not restarting, and blow the ECM Fuse. What happened was that the heat shield on the front cat rusted and was resting on the wires for the front oxygen sensor and was shorting it out, causing the stalling and fuse issue. Replaced the sensor and it was fine. I would check the wiring for the oxygen sensors to see if they are shorting out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason,

Thanks for the suggestion, I have inspected the wiring and all looks OK.

However given the cost of generic lambda sensors I have ordered 2 replacements which I will change on arrival.

Jon

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
2.4 Santa Fe,, any recent or past misfire history ?

Sounds like the common clogging/clogged catalyst. Roaring out airbox under hood during hard throttle as engine bogging ?

Remove the Pre-cat ox sensor, start up and rev the engine.. doe it run better ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Put a vacuum gauge on it and run the engine up to 2500 rpm. If the vacuum begins to fall, you have a restricted exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All,

Thank you for your support. I could not believe that a blocked CAT could be the problem and paid the price!

I had ordered a Vacume gauge but it took so long comming I opened the CAT....

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/H...pg.html?&_suid=137656288472807810926020759198

this is what it should have looked like....

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/H...pg.html?&_suid=137656288472807810926020759198

Yes the vacume test would have been the answer and a cheap one apart from the exhaust £400 +

I did also open the second CAT before disposal...

If I had not changed the whole exhaust I believe that I would have still had the problem !

I had ordered the first CAT from a scrappie but he informed me that the one they had was disintergrated so of no use ....as I said looks like a very common problem.

Anyway Thanks Again.... Guidance appreciated.

Jon King - Hereford - UK

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Yikes! That sucker was clogged! :eek:

Glad you got it sorted. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts