Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now my sonata has the standard power antenna. It sounds like it is dying each time it goes up and down. The black cap that encloses it also is cracked/rotted away. I am looking to completely remove the antenna(motor, everything, ect.)

I would like to replace it with a small NON-power antenna.

My sonata is an 05 GLS, it is rounded where the antenna is located. So I am looking for something that will give me good reception and look good.

I was looking @:
Antennas EnfigCarStereo.com

Agency Power Universal Shorty Antenna - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC

Metra 44-UA46 (met-44ua46) Amplified Electronic Roof Mount

..basically please point me in the direction of a good base and antenna

Thanks!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've retired my conventional antenna and retrofitted an antenna module that uses the rear window defogger 'wires'. Works perfectly. No more issues with antenna not going all the way in/out in the cold, get frozen etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've retired my conventional antenna and retrofitted an antenna module that uses the rear window defogger 'wires'. Works perfectly. No more issues with antenna not going all the way in/out in the cold, get frozen etc.
that's pretty interesting, first I heard of anyone doing that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please elaborate how you did this. What parts did you buy and where??? Lots of people want to know. what did you do with the old hole location? I NEED A RADIO! please do tell.

Rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
The link you posted is no longer available. Can you provide the details to how you did this. I'm in the same situation.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How is the radio reception? I have an Accord which uses the rear defrost wiring as an antenna and the reception sucks... and that's factory.

The plastic molding around the antenna base cracked and fell apart on this Sonata. I used black gasket sealer to seal it. Not pretty, but it works and keeps the water out.

·
Registered
912 Posts
the reception sucks
As Beavis & Butthead would say: It doesn't just suck .... it REALLY sucks ...

Yes, I admit, reception is not as good as with a standard rod antenna. I'm looking into an alternative solution, too (not yet reactivating the original one) - including DAB+ (local digital radio).

·
Registered
912 Posts
The link you posted is no longer available. Can you provide the details to how you did this.
Install is fairly simple. These electronic boxes come with 3 loose wires plus the antenna signal cable. The latter plugs into the cable that goes from the original antenna to the radio. The 3 wires connect to ground (the blank one), to the positive(switched) end of the defroster wires (long black wire), and to +12V (red one, a switched line from the radio is also available at the original antenna - green wire as to be seen on picture).

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts