Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am hoping someone will respond very soon to this posting. I just bought a used 1997 Tiburon. I drove it back from NC to VA and it started to shift rougly. I have only had the car three days now and I took it to a transmission place, he replaced the heat sensor yesterday and now it's doing the same thing again. I called a dealer and he said 1997 models had a great deal of difficulty with the transmissions. My question is if I go to the expense of putting in a new transmisson, will it just need replacing in a few months? How much money am I looking at for a transmission? I am having a bad feeling that I bought a piece of junk. The car is so beautiful, but three days on the road and it's already costs me $200 and now I am looking at at least another $1000.
Does anyone have any thing they can tell me to help me with this problem?
Margie

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi Margie;

There are a whole lot of things that can affect how the transmission behaves. All of the sensors - speed, throttle position, O2, Manifold Absolute Pressure... etc etc - are wired through the Engine Control Module that sends various signals to the transmission about whn to shift.

So basically, a bad sensor or a problem in another part of the engine can cause rough shifting or shifting at the wrong time.

It will likley cost a few more $ but take the car to a good repar shop (not just a transmission place) and have them run a diagnostic code scan. That should narrow down the problem pretty quick.

If its any comfort, a quick search on the web doesn't show an extraordinary number of transmission problems with the 97 Hyundai

Gord

1 - 2 of 2 Posts