Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK ... so I have decided to trade up my 2011 Limited 2.4 Sonata for the 2.0T ... dealer is giving me a great deal, practically starting over after only 6 months.

Current car ... Silver

New car options (dealer has BOTH coming in and neither sold yet) Limited nav etc ... blah blah

Glacier pearl white

or

Sunlight Silver

and ... go

·
Registered
655 Posts
OK, OK.
I'm a Black car guy. So it's Phantom Black with black leather interior, Limited.
I can't think of any car that isn't better looking in Black.

To me, other colors are something my Mom or my sister would pick, Black is badazz. Coming from my Buick Grand National days, now grown up with kids and it's not 1990s anymore.

I got 3 dealers knowing I want this color combo, whoever gets it first wins.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love black but its a pain to keep swirl free, work in the automotive detailing business. Don't get white because that's what I am getting and the less white the better lol.

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (jwnicola11 @ Nov 2 2010, 08:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368502
I love black but its a pain to keep swirl free, work in the automotive detailing business. Don't get white because that's what I am getting and the less white the better lol.
I was in the detail business for 10 years back in high school and college. I don't plan on taking a wheel to this anytime soon. Maybe some polish and an orbital after a year or two. The wife has an all black 08 Pathfinder, tinted the windows, raised white letter tires, the most gorgeous Finder on the road.

·
Registered
43 Posts
White.

I love the look of white on blk/gry interior. I would have gotten white but that camel interior is no good. Especially when kids have juice and snacks in the backseat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Given those two color choices, definitely white. Of course, dark tints are obligatory. The darker the better...
The silver, though I like it, is just a tad understated. It just doesn't pop like some of the other colors.
Ok, I maybe discrediting myself here, but I actually wanted the indigo blue pearl...as my first choice. However, I've ultimately decided against it because it seems like 9 out of 10 people hate it. Many insist, pejoratively, on calling it purple. More importantly, I really want the all black interior, but unfortunately grey is the only option(SE).

On most cars, black is usually the most aggressive exterior color choice, as well as my first, but as some have stated in other threads, the Sonata's fulsome dimensions are more appealingly accentuated by brighter colors. The black seems to mute out some of the more nuanced lines. Must be that "fluidic sculpture" thing.

By the way, I saw the harbor grey metallic in person, in the wild(not sitting placidly on a sterile showroom floor) the other day, and daaaammmnn, it looks sinisterly awesome. In fact, it's now(changes daily) my favorite color. Unfortunately, and again, it's only offered with the grey interior. Attention Hyundai: If you want to save production costs and prevent lopsided inventory gluts...black across the line! Forget about the grey, would ya? I can understand why someone may choose a beige, or even a wine, interior, and of course, black. But grey? It lacks the utility of the lighter, scuff and stain-concealing, colors, while offfering none of the aesthetic panache of the darker tones. Any grey owners out there who want to set me straight, I'd be glad to listen.

Bottom line: I really don't think one can go wrong with any color choice on the Sonata, save for one(that shall remain nameless, so as to not "offend" anyone).

All things considered, if I had to pick today...black on black. Definitely. No doubt. Or maybe the venetian red...

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (SAR305 @ Nov 6 2010, 03:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369551
Given those two color choices, definitely white. Of course, dark tints are obligatory. The darker the better...
The silver, though I like it, is just a tad understated. It just doesn't pop like some of the other colors.
Ok, I maybe discrediting myself here, but I actually wanted the indigo blue pearl...as my first choice. However, I've ultimately decided against it because it seems like 9 out of 10 people hate it. Many insist, pejoratively, on calling it purple. More importantly, I really want the all black interior, but unfortunately grey is the only option(SE).

On most cars, black is usually the most aggressive exterior color choice, as well as my first, but as some have stated in other threads, the Sonata's fulsome dimensions are more appealingly accentuated by brighter colors. The black seems to mute out some of the more nuanced lines. Must be that "fluidic sculpture" thing.

By the way, I saw the harbor grey metallic in person, in the wild(not sitting placidly on a sterile showroom floor) the other day, and daaaammmnn, it looks sinisterly awesome. In fact, it's now(changes daily) my favorite color. Unfortunately, and again, it's only offered with the grey interior. Attention Hyundai: If you want to save production costs and prevent lopsided inventory gluts...black across the line! Forget about the grey, would ya? I can understand why someone may choose a beige, or even a wine, interior, and of course, black. But grey? It lacks the utility of the lighter, scuff and stain-concealing, colors, while offfering none of the aesthetic panache of the darker tones. Any grey owners out there who want to set me straight, I'd be glad to listen.

Bottom line: I really don't think one can go wrong with any color choice on the Sonata, save for one(that shall remain nameless, so as to not "offend" anyone).

All things considered, if I had to pick today...black on black. Definitely. No doubt. Or maybe the venetian red...
Funny you mention Harbor Gray. In Limited Turbo, the only one coming in is Harbor Gray with Black interior. They had 2 Limiteds next to each other, Phantom Black and Harbor Gray. Black WAS my favorite until I saw it next to Harbor Gray....man what a classy color.
Something about the big headlight housings and 100% chrome grill that didn't look right up against black, too much contrast, they popped out. The Harbor Grey made the front end flow better. Funny thing, my 06 Altima, I chose SMOKE instead of black because of thos enormous rear tail light housings didn't look good w/ black.

You're dead on about the interiors....grey is brutal, between the door panels, floor carpet, dash and seats, there's like 4 different shades of grey. With black, it's all black and it flows together beautifully.

·
Registered
104 Posts
QUOTE (Plasma George @ Nov 6 2010, 03:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369554
Funny you mention Harbor Gray. In Limited Turbo, the only one coming in is Harbor Gray with Black interior. They had 2 Limiteds next to each other, Phantom Black and Harbor Gray. Black WAS my favorite until I saw it next to Harbor Gray....man what a classy color.
Something about the big headlight housings and 100% chrome grill that didn't look right up against black, too much contrast, they popped out. The Harbor Grey made the front end flow better. Funny thing, my 06 Altima, I chose SMOKE instead of black because of thos enormous rear tail light housings didn't look good w/ black.

You're dead on about the interiors....grey is brutal, between the door panels, floor carpet, dash and seats, there's like 4 different shades of grey. With black, it's all black and it flows together beautifully.
I was afraid of that...I've been totally, and comfortably, resigned to getting the SE Turbo. Relieved, actually, since I'll be saving even more money on an already great value. I can certainly do without the "leather" in the Limited. However, I honestly don't think I could live with that grey interior, though(forgive me, for I know there is great and real suffering in this world). But now, after seeing that Harbor Grey Metallic thundering down the road, slicing through the ghostly auroral fog with reflective beads of morning dew shimmering atop the pearlescent skin of the Sonata, I may be compelled to kick in the extra 3 grand. ****...clever profits-centric packaging got me again. Ah well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts