Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - Today was a good day. I think I'm getting close to the finish line with being able to find the right deal for a new 2010 Tucson GLS; FWD; Popular Equipment Package; Ash Black; Taupe interior. I have a 2005 Tucson in great condition for my trade. I have done my homework; been shopping at at least 5 dealers but still can't get my "deal". I know what I want to pay even though the way these cars are selling, I realize I don't have alot of leverage.

I email yet another dealer last night who calls me back today. I go through the whole story with her and calls me back 15 minutes later and tells me her dealership will meet my price. She will give me a lot for the trade and make it all net out to my number. Sounds good right?

Ok, here comes the "buts". First of all the car she can find is in Massachusetts (I'm in PA). And it has black interior (I wanted taupe). She said she would have one of her drivers go get it for me and drive it back to the dealership (approx. 350 miles) free of charge. So, I have two things to think about now quickly.. (1) Will I like the black interior with a black exterior? Any thoughts / opinions on that? and (2) What are your opinions on a "new" car having 350 miles on it when I get it? I recall from the past that its not good to drive a new car consistently over 55 / 65 miles an hour. Thats a long way from Massachuesetts to PA..

I really want to buy a new Tucson and have been shopping for almost 5 months. She gave me the sales pitch about my trade in decreasing as the weeks go by and that the exact car I want is very difficult to find.

I need some opinions. I don't want to do something stupid just because of my emotion and enthusiasm. Thanks.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (Frank1203 @ May 17 2010, 08:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323790
Ok - Today was a good day. I think I'm getting close to the finish line with being able to find the right deal for a new 2010 Tucson GLS; FWD; Popular Equipment Package; Ash Black; Taupe interior. I have a 2005 Tucson in great condition for my trade. I have done my homework; been shopping at at least 5 dealers but still can't get my "deal". I know what I want to pay even though the way these cars are selling, I realize I don't have alot of leverage.

I email yet another dealer last night who calls me back today. I go through the whole story with her and calls me back 15 minutes later and tells me her dealership will meet my price. She will give me a lot for the trade and make it all net out to my number. Sounds good right?

Ok, here comes the "buts". First of all the car she can find is in Massachusetts (I'm in PA). And it has black interior (I wanted taupe). She said she would have one of her drivers go get it for me and drive it back to the dealership (approx. 350 miles) free of charge. So, I have two things to think about now quickly.. (1) Will I like the black interior with a black exterior? Any thoughts / opinions on that? and (2) What are your opinions on a "new" car having 350 miles on it when I get it? I recall from the past that its not good to drive a new car consistently over 55 / 65 miles an hour. Thats a long way from Massachuesetts to PA..

I really want to buy a new Tucson and have been shopping for almost 5 months. She gave me the sales pitch about my trade in decreasing as the weeks go by and that the exact car I want is very difficult to find.

I need some opinions. I don't want to do something stupid just because of my emotion and enthusiasm. Thanks.

IMO, You don't really want a black interior, as it is I have Taupe and I like it, but I also found there's a lot of black, dash, wheel, & trim, that makes the car get hot in the sun, and we haven't even reached summer temps yet. My last Tucson, & Santa Fe had the gray leather trim, dash, & wheel, and didn't get that hot in the sun. I'm so glad I didn't hold off for the Graphite gray Tuc, with the mandatory black interior.

I decided to read the owners manual regarding break in, it says for the first 600miles, don't race the engine, which I assume means don't free-rev it in neutral, also to stay within 2000 to 4000rpm but not to linger too long at any one speed, and go easy on the braking as they wear in. Now, while shifting thru the gears, the engine can be kept below 4k rpm if driven normally, or a bit easy, and cruising in 6th at 65mph is only about 2250rpm, so If the transporter drives it fairly easily, even on the highway, it'll be okay.

When I bought my new Tucson, a week ago, that particular dealer had no new tucsons since they 1st came out, but got 2 shipments within that week! Leaving them with at least 6 in stock, other local dealers also started to get shipments then as well too, so I would think that they're finally tooling up to meet the demand, and IMO, I would hold off to get what you want, if I were you. Good Luck, Mike

Price it out right here: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/tucson/

A few dealers I went to offered them at this listed sticker price, but usually not more or less, so use this as a guideline.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would pass on this deal. Don't settle. Wait for what you want, and without having the 'lot guy' drive your unbroken-in new car 350 miles.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you really want Taupe, vs black on black, I would keep hunting, or be patient.
(Personally, I've "given up" on black cars, as they do look great, but only for about
20 mins after a wash/wax.)

If black on black suits you and your time frame, I would not have many qualms
about the ~350 miles on the odo, except for the concern of the retried guy
driving down I-95 dodging potholes and stones flying from truck tires. Crap
happens out there on the highway. Anecdotally, we got our new Tucson from
an Asheville, NC dlr, who found it at a Charlotte area dlr; thus, we had ~200
miles on it when delivered the next day. I inspected it very carefully before
handing over the dough, and it was pristine, and we were lucky. Those 200
miles on the odo gave me zero concern, imo.

You didn't say, but are any other dlrs hunting for you, or is there no car locally
in greater Philly/south Jersey that fits your bill?

That dlr calling to match price that "found one" is normal and typical, imo...
We still get daily emails and phone calls from the tri-state area dlrs here that
didn't sell us our car.

It is a conundrum for you.
Good Luck, mD

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (motordavid @ May 18 2010, 09:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323946
If you really want Taupe, vs black on black, I would keep hunting, or be patient.
(Personally, I've "given up" on black cars, as they do look great, but only for about
20 mins after a wash/wax.)

If black on black suits you and your time frame, I would not have many qualms
about the ~350 miles on the odo, except for the concern of the retried guy
driving down I-95 dodging potholes and stones flying from truck tires. Crap
happens out there on the highway. Anecdotally, we got our new Tucson from
an Asheville, NC dlr, who found it at a Charlotte area dlr; thus, we had ~200
miles on it when delivered the next day. I inspected it very carefully before
handing over the dough, and it was pristine, and we were lucky. Those 200
miles on the odo gave me zero concern, imo.

You didn't say, but are any other dlrs hunting for you, or is there no car locally
in greater Philly/south Jersey that fits your bill?

That dlr calling to match price that "found one" is normal and typical, imo...
We still get daily emails and phone calls from the tri-state area dlrs here that
didn't sell us our car.

It is a conundrum for you.
Good Luck, mD

I have many dealers hunting for me. The problem is that not all of the dealers are very motivated or willing to meet my price requirements. So I haven't been harping on them and focusing my attention on only two dealers who are willing to make a sale.

·
1,914 Posts
Frank,

You are spending $20,000+, don't settle for something you aren't completely happy with! I work at the hyundai dealer in langhorne(i'm sure you know what dealer i am talking about) as a detailer. If I can be of any help, let me know. I'm the first one to see a car when it comes in since we clean them up for the lot and I also see our stickers of what we are expecting. I know we are expecting some Tucsons, but not sure when.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ May 19 2010, 06:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324235
Frank,

You are spending $20,000+, don't settle for something you aren't completely happy with! I work at the hyundai dealer in langhorne(i'm sure you know what dealer i am talking about) as a detailer. If I can be of any help, let me know. I'm the first one to see a car when it comes in since we clean them up for the lot and I also see our stickers of what we are expecting. I know we are expecting some Tucsons, but not sure when.
Yes, I do know what dealership you work for and YES, I've already contacted them (in addition to the 8 other deaerships). I am slowly getting the impression that not everything shows up on a dealers itinerary (if you iknow what I mean). As such, I would certainly appreciate any help you can provide. If you get any indication of the specific vehicle I am loking for as coming in soon, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE (Frank1203 @ May 19 2010, 12:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324295
...I am slowly getting the impression that not everything shows up on a dealers itinerary (if you iknow what I mean). ...
Exactly. We searched all the dlr sites within several hours drive, for the Tuscon we wanted; no luck.
But, we wandered over to our eventual selling dlr, Blanchard in Asheville, NC for test drive and to look
at Santa Fe models. The owner said he would hunt on his "net connections" to find our exact model:
within 5 mins he found it at a dlr in greater Charlotte, NC area. They drove it over that day, and the
deal was done. Blanchard told us that many dlrs will "block" what shows up on their public inventory
sites found on the net, and even inferred some dlrs can "block" some cars and work together, in an
area or region, to "move" those cars among their colleagues dealerships.

All anecdotal and fwiw, but Blanchard found ours in a heartbeat and it was the fully loaded Limited,
in both int and ext color we wanted. I suspect, like most brands I am familiar with, that any given
public inventory, via net, is not the entire inventory available, "regionally".

I am not saying that the car the OP wants is floating around PA/NJ/NY, etc., but that if it is, they
are "findable" by a diligently working dlr, imo.
GL, mD

·
1,914 Posts
QUOTE (Frank1203 @ May 19 2010, 12:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324295
Yes, I do know what dealership you work for and YES, I've already contacted them (in addition to the 8 other deaerships). I am slowly getting the impression that not everything shows up on a dealers itinerary (if you iknow what I mean). As such, I would certainly appreciate any help you can provide. If you get any indication of the specific vehicle I am loking for as coming in soon, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
When we get a car in, it's put online within a few hours. When we sell a car, it takes a day usually. The Tucsons are just coming and going so quickly, so I'm sure some dealers are having trouble keeping stock updated.

I'm going to send you a PM after I post this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ May 19 2010, 04:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324378
When we get a car in, it's put online within a few hours. When we sell a car, it takes a day usually. The Tucsons are just coming and going so quickly, so I'm sure some dealers are having trouble keeping stock updated.

I'm going to send you a PM after I post this.
I'm sorry - I have no idea what a PM is or how to get it. Please elaborate and thanks for all your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts