Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 V6 Sonata GLS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if there’s already a thread about this I’m sorry, I checked around but couldn’t find what Im looking for. I drive a 2008 Sonata GLS (V6)

Let me start off by apologizing for driving an automatic. It’s my first car (I’ve had it for a while) and back when I got it I didn’t think I would particularly like driving, period. I was dead wrong! My next car will be a manual. Anyways, I’ve been playing around with shiftronic and was hoping someone could give me some advice on getting the most out of it, fun wise. I still don’t really know how to drive manual so a lot of the intricacies/tricks to that are beyond what I know presently. I realize shiftronic is NOT the same at all, but what are some tips to make it more fun?

If i wanted to downshift to make some entertaining sounds, what’s the best way to go about it? Is it even possible in the same way that people do it with manuals?

When I’m accelerating, what are the best shift points for max speed?

When I’m trying to slow down/ drop gears, whats the optimal way to do so? I’ve noticed there is a lot of engine braking which throws me off a little, but I can deal with that assuming it’s not an issue.

What are the actual flaws in shiftronic? Everybody keeps telling me it’s “bad” but can’t explain why beyond the fact its not manual? Thats not particularly enlightening.

Is there any actual drawbacks to using it? Like will I wear out any parts of my car faster, generally speaking?

If there is anything else about it you feel is worth knowing, please feel free to share. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2008 Optima LX 2.4
227 Posts
Apologizing for driving an automatic on a Hyundai sonata forum? No one here will fault you.
You only want to take the engine to redline if you are at wide open throttle(WOT). You shift sooner when you're giving less throttle. Mimic how the transmission behaves in D for optimal efficiency.
Engine braking is totally unnecessary with an automatic transmission. The brakes are designed to stop the car. The transmission will still automatically downshift in shiftronic while dropping speed.
It's not a "bad" system, but its not the most intuitive way to shift a car. I only use it when I want to hold the trans in a certain gear and prevent gear hunting.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Engine braking is useful coming down long steep hills, to keep the brakes from overheating.
I use Shiftronic in two other scenarios:
When engaging cruise control, to prevent drastic downshifting going up hills or resuming speed.
When passing a car, I can anticipate and downshift early; avoid sudden harsh shifting and revving.'
The trick is to bring the revs up enough to deliver the power you need, before you actually need it.
My last 4 cars were stick shifts, so I'm comfortable with gear selection.

·
Registered
2008 V6 Sonata GLS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apologizing for driving an automatic on a Hyundai sonata forum? No one here will fault you.
You only want to take the engine to redline if you are at wide open throttle(WOT). You shift sooner when you're giving less throttle. Mimic how the transmission behaves in D for optimal efficiency.
Engine braking is totally unnecessary with an automatic transmission. The brakes are designed to stop the car. The transmission will still automatically downshift in shiftronic while dropping speed.
It's not a "bad" system, but its not the most intuitive way to shift a car. I only use it when I want to hold the trans in a certain gear and prevent gear hunting.
Thank you! It would certainly be useful on some of the local on ramps. I’ve gotten pretty good at managing downshifts in D, but there’s still plenty of times the transmission can’t seem to figure out what gear it should be in which can get freaky when you’re in a short merging lane hahaha, I’ll keep this in mind next time I’m fiddling with it.

·
Registered
2008 V6 Sonata GLS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine braking is useful coming down long steep hills, to keep the brakes from overheating.
I use Shiftronic in two other scenarios:
When engaging cruise control, to prevent drastic downshifting going up hills or resuming speed.
When passing a car, I can anticipate and downshift early; avoid sudden harsh shifting and revving.'
The trick is to bring the revs up enough to deliver the power you need, before you actually need it.
My last 4 cars were stick shifts, so I'm comfortable with gear selection.
Makes sense to me, I’ll work on that next time I’m using it. Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts