Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did you buy a Sonata? I am looking at the 2018 Sport + vs the VW Passat R line or SE. As a VW fan, i would love one, but... safety and cost of ownership... thats the issue.

Both cost the same. If my wife would let me buy a golf, i would.

The new Plus looks great, but nog as sporty as the 16. Reading about the engine issues scared me a bit. Any advice?

·
Registered
174 Posts
my 2 cents.
I had a jetta before my 2016 sonata. both bought new.
while I have had some minor issues with my sonata, it wasn't even on the same level as the jetta.

sonata- odd streaks in the chrome trim(removed with goo be gone), home link failed, using a bit more oil than I would like(but still in spec), and needing to have a xm radio subscription to use the traffic alerts.

jetta- brake booster failed, blower motor went bad, head liner fell down in the back, overhead console peeled, alternator died and kept burning out a rear bulb.

so I didn't really want to chance a passat moving up to a larger car.
I did compare them but went down to compare the legacy and mazda 6 as comparable cars as well.

while they are in the same price range, 2 things drove me to the sonata instead.
Overall price was less. With all the things I could sign up for to get additional discounts, (and if you look at other posts there are even more than I knew of, like alstate and sams), I could get the fully loaded sonata for a few grand less than the full loaded of either of the others.

Features that I got were the 2nd. While the legacy is known for the AEB, (and maybe I should have gone that way) it was missing features like the vented seats, that I really liked.
For the features I got, I would have had to step up to a whole other level of car to get the same. Paying easily 15 to 20k more for the size of car with the same features.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Why did you buy a Sonata? I am looking at the 2018 Sport + vs the VW Passat R line or SE. As a VW fan, i would love one, but... safety and cost of ownership... thats the issue.

Both cost the same. If my wife would let me buy a golf, i would.

The new Plus looks great, but nog as sporty as the 16. Reading about the engine issues scared me a bit. Any advice?
I have not bought yet but I have done a lot of research.

My main requirement is a long warranty in a normal price range car. Not a luxury brand, too expensive. That leaves Hyundai, Kia, VW, and Mitsubishi. Scratch Mitsu, not many dealers and very bad CR reviews.

I have usually gotten the luxury version of a regular car and that is what I like. Last two vehicles were Camry XLE with options and Santa Fe Limited. Today cars are too expensive, for what I want to pay. I am not going to pay 30-35K for a loaded family sedan. Because of that I have stepped down from the Sonata LTD to the SEL.

Kia Optima is ok but the problem is Kia does not have a middle model for the Optima like the SEL. You can get an entry level LX or a pretty loaded EX. The extras on the EX are nice and are closer to a car that I would have bought in the past but it costs 2K more than the SEL. And to me the looks are just OK.

So that brings us to VW. I love the warranty. Looked at the Passat. More expensive than the Sonata SEL for the SE and SEL models. Considered Jetta but the 2019 is brand new and not any deals. A mid level Jetta is more than an SEL Sonata and the entry level Jetta is a just a little cheaper (but would not have much on it).

For pricing remember this. There are 3 areas to save on a Sonata.

1. Dealer discount. Sonatas not selling well you should be able to get 8-10% off MSRP.

2. Rebates. SEL rebate has been as high as $3750 in March. Usually around $3-3.5K.

3. Extra discounts. These include military, Uber, Allstate, Sam's, Boostup. IF you qualify can add up to and additional $2-2.5K.

My goal is to get an SEL that has an MSRP of $24.5 for around $16K before tax and trade in. (24.5K - 2.5K dealer discount - 4K rebate - 2K uber, military, boostup)

No other family sedan can get close to this price with all the options that you get on the car. Frustrated that Hyundai hasn't raised rebates, I am ready to buy, but I can be patient.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My thoughts on on Hyundais and Kias vs all other manufacturers is you pay less up front for the car but when you go to trade it in doesn't hold its value as well as say a VW or Honda. I'm not saying Hyundai isn't a quality car, it is, I don't think it has quite earned the reputation it deserves. It comes down to how long you plan to keep the car. If you're gonna drive it till the wheels fall off go for the Hyundai if you're gonna trade it in in a couple years go for a "better" make.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts