Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a New Sonata 2013, but my car doesn't have internal TPMS. The Dealer recommend to make a External TPMS but i don't like it. Now i consider that how can i have a additional internal TPMS ? thanks anyway for your reply

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i'm. I think the others country will not cut this option. Because it's very useful for the car. By the way, back to my thread please, i'm looking to have solution for additional internal TPMS (not external TPMS). Anyone can help me please?
YEs, but sihu is in Viet Nam.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
sihu,

If your car did not come with this option, it is not going to be cheap to add it. In the USA, the TPMS is part of the main computer.

Is this something that you need/have to have? Just curious...

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
This would be difficult to install, (and expensive) I would think. Is there a particular reason you want it so badly? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A lot of people have cursed them because they require monitoring and they invariably lose pressure in the winter months unless nitrogen is installed in place of regular air.

I'm not sure but for some period of time the Canadian models did not have it. It is required here which is why they are now standard equipment in all vehicles sold here. But we all got along about a 100 years without them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm not sure but for some period of time the Canadian models did not have it. It is required here which is why they are now standard equipment in all vehicles sold here. But we all got along about a 100 years without them.
It's still the case for Canadian Hyundai models, no TPMS. I think they are somewhat unusual in that - most other makes have TPMS here even though it's not required, but I can't blame Hyundai too much for leaving it off, given that it does tend to cause nuisance warnings in cold weather and causes extra issues and expense with installing winter tires.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I think you should consider your outside TPMS options. Most of them are more robust in data that can be delivered versus the Hyundai version that simply tells you that there is a tire that is low. The OEM doesn't tell you which one, just that one is out of tolerance.

·
Registered
687 Posts
A lot of people have cursed them because they require monitoring and they invariably lose pressure in the winter months unless nitrogen is installed in place of regular air.
Mine goes off all the time. It happened more with nitrogen. I'd rather have gas station air and no TPMS.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Mine goes off all the time. It happened more with nitrogen. I'd rather have gas station air and no TPMS.
There isn't a requirement to use Nitrogen is there? I didn't think there was. Nitrogen is a gimmick. Its not "safer" per say; it just helps out those that don't watch tire pressures because the nitrogen molecule is larger and not as prone to leaking out.

You should be able to use gas station air.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
There isn't a requirement to use Nitrogen is there? I didn't think there was. Nitrogen is a gimmick. Its not "safer" per say; it just helps out those that don't watch tire pressures because the nitrogen molecule is larger and not as prone to leaking out.

You should be able to use gas station air.
It isn't a gimmick if your TPMS never goes off and you never need to add air.

If one wants to roll around on a dirty gas station driveway in the middle of a rain storm checking the pressures with a air gauge then I suppose it could be called a "gimmick." And many stations now "sell" the air to goes into the tires.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Are you sure you actually had nitrogen in your tires or were you told that there was?

I'll check with the local service department who will give me the skinny on this. It worked well for me. I never had the TPMS light come on in a full year and then I traded the car off.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
It isn't a gimmick if your TPMS never goes off and you never need to add air.

If one wants to roll around on a dirty gas station driveway in the middle of a rain storm checking the pressures with a air gauge then I suppose it could be called a "gimmick." And many stations now "sell" the air to goes into the tires.
I am not 100% sure how you do your tires, but I can do mine in my suit and do. It takes me less than two or three minutes to do all four and requires no rolling around or crawling. And if you take care of your car versus waiting until the light goes off you can even take into consideration the weather and time so you are not doing it in a rain storm.

Guess I am lucky I have two stations that I visit that are still free; but I have seen the stations that even have a CC reader hooked up to it.

Nitrogen will cause more users to monitor their tires less. I know because of the people I work with. They think once Nitrogen is used its a foolproof system. So many people want a car to take care of itself and look for reasons to not have to pay attention to operation. Checking tire pressure is not hard and should be done anyway regardless of what air is in the tire. Buts its not which is why Nitrogen is such a great sell to customers. It caters to their need to "not have to worry about it".

·
Registered
687 Posts
I am not 100% sure how you do your tires, but I can do mine in my suit and do. It takes me less than two or three minutes to do all four and requires no rolling around or crawling. And if you take care of your car versus waiting until the light goes off you can even take into consideration the weather and time so you are not doing it in a rain storm.

Guess I am lucky I have two stations that I visit that are still free; but I have seen the stations that even have a CC reader hooked up to it.

Nitrogen will cause more users to monitor their tires less. I know because of the people I work with. They think once Nitrogen is used its a foolproof system. So many people want a car to take care of itself and look for reasons to not have to pay attention to operation. Checking tire pressure is not hard and should be done anyway regardless of what air is in the tire. Buts its not which is why Nitrogen is such a great sell to customers. It caters to their need to "not have to worry about it".
I only had nitrogen for two reasons: It came in the car. By the end of the first 2 months I was already getting TPMS error. Second time: Service department put it in again for me. :D
It did not last a month and I already had TPMS errors. Since using only gas I haven't had a single warning. I check my tires once a month.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts

Preach, brother!! Why so many people wait until the light goes off is beyond me. At $200+ for one of our tires (the OEM ones anyway), I make sure to check as soon as the temp changes more than 5 degrees. Easier than paying for another tire.

Also, I carry around one of those jumper pack/compressor things in my trunk. Much easier than going to the station since it has a settable pressure on it and automatically shuts off when it reaches that. While the gauge is off about 3 psi I just set it higher (ie 38 to get 35) and it hasnt failed me yet. It was also only about 50 bucks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts