Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a 2016 Sonata with 2.4 engine.

I have a question (to improve my general knowledge of what is going on inside this engine), and an issue I'm hoping the Sonata universe is already aware of (ie. I'm hoping it's a common issue and I'm not experiencing a strange one-off).

The question is simple: What exactly happens when you are accelerating hard and the care kicks up the RPMs and provides more power? My understanding is that it simply downshifts a gear to provide more torque and punch... but someone once said they thought there was an extra piston that kicked in (made no sense to me).

Ok... now for my issue.

For the last couple days, I have repeatedly had an issue where the acceleration power seems to disappear suddenly when I'm accelerating a bit more aggressively. (ie. if I coast up to speed slowly, I don't seem to notice an issue). In trying to replicate this, I seem to be able to do so fairly consistently by reaching that point where the engine drops a gear to get more oomph, but I'm not 100% convinced that has to occur to trigger it... it may occur simply when coaxed with a quicker acceleration pace. I also will note that I have observed the engine rev higher for a moment to provide the additional power, and then go 'limp'.

Some additional points to help diagnose:
- The RPMs seem to stay at the same level
- When I let off the gas and then reapply the gas it seems to pick up normally
- I find the engine does chew through oil. In a 6000km period it can drop the level from F to the Add line.

I am still withing the 100,000KM warranty period and will be taking this in to get looked at, but would love to know if this is a known issue or people's knowledgeable thoughts beforehand. I have had bad service encounters in the past where I knew more than the service department did and had to inform them about known issues with their vehicles..... so now I try to show up prepared.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
using 1 ltr of oil between oil changes, dealer will tell you it's normal, within specs. but it is rather annoying to go through as a car owner.
yes, checking oil regularly is important, but checking AND having to ADD each time is out of whack on such a new car.

the consumption will get worse. what mileage are you at now give us some details on your car and your location.

do you hear like bacon sizzling sounds from the engine when accelerating? keep your ears open for the time being.

I have a question (to improve my general knowledge of what is going on inside this engine), and an issue I'm hoping the Sonata universe is already aware of (ie. I'm hoping it's a common issue and I'm not experiencing a strange one-off).

The question is simple: What exactly happens when you are accelerating hard and the care kicks up the RPMs and provides more power? My understanding is that it simply downshifts a gear to provide more torque and punch... but someone once said they thought there was an extra piston that kicked in (made no sense to me).

Ok... now for my issue.

For the last couple days, I have repeatedly had an issue where the acceleration power seems to disappear suddenly when I'm accelerating a bit more aggressively. (ie. if I coast up to speed slowly, I don't seem to notice an issue). In trying to replicate this, I seem to be able to do so fairly consistently by reaching that point where the engine drops a gear to get more oomph, but I'm not 100% convinced that has to occur to trigger it... it may occur simply when coaxed with a quicker acceleration pace. I also will note that I have observed the engine rev higher for a moment to provide the additional power, and then go 'limp'.

- I find the engine does chew through oil. In a 6000km period it can drop the level from F to the Add line.

I am still withing the 100,000KM warranty period and will be taking this in to get looked at, but would love to know if this is a known issue or people's knowledgeable thoughts beforehand. I have had bad service encounters in the past where I knew more than the service department did and had to inform them about known issues with their vehicles..... so now I try to show up prepared.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had the exact same issue with my 2015 2.4L and it threw a misfire code which I deleted and never came back.

I checked oil level and it was dropped to below L mark in 6000 kms interval.
I checked all spark plugs, was not too dirty so i cleaned up and put it back. I was going to CRC intake cleaning because i had pinging/knocking sound while accelerating or when car is under load but I did not do it but let the dealership deal with oil consumption issue.

after driving 3000 kms and let them topping up oil in every 1000 km, so they can make a record to claim warranty. turned out it was a ring in one cylinder which was bad and that was the cause of oil consumption and detonation in that particular cylinder.
So finally they replaced short block.

Do you have pinging /knocking/detonation sound issue ? which tier gas do you use?

Its been 2 weeks I am feeling low fuel economy with new short block, hope it will get better .

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a loss of power that gradually got worse to the point of not being able to get the car above 30 mph.
It was a blocked exhaust, due to catalytic convert failure. They replace the cat, and cleaned all of the failed internal parts out of the muffler.
Never had a problem since.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts

Ok... now for my issue.

Thanks in advance!!
To address your first question. No the Sonata does not shut off a cylinder or cylinders to improve mileage as some other brands do, like GM has up to 4 cylinders shut down on some of their V8. Also some shut off the engine completely when you come to a complete stop and restart as soon as you touch the accelerator.

When you accelerate (push the gas pedal) depending on how much, how fast and what speed and engine RPM you are at will determine what happens either the engine will accelerate or the transmission will downshift and then accelerate all based on how far or fast you press the pedal, you also have the option to manually down shift the transmission by moving the shifter to the lf and then moving it forward or back to make the automatic transmission shift based on your decisions.

Your second question can be any number of things. It may be that the transmission is not downshifting correctly, have you had it checked at a dealership to be sure that the latest updates have been done to the ECU (brain)these control the way the engine responds and transmission shifts. There have been TSB (service bulletins) to do up dates on some models. It could need or have carbon buildup and or need tune up parts (spark plugs, coils etc)

For the oil consumption take it to the dealer and complain! Get them to start a ticket on the car and do an oil consumption test, if it fails like Bob said in the previous post hey will replace your engine. Also you need to take it in to be sure that there are no outstanding updates required on the car it is still under warranty, engine and drivetrain to 100,000 miles if you are original owner and 5 yr 60,000 mile limited warranty for other items

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok everyone - I have an update (sorry for the delay MattTRIX... I'm not a troll).

I had the car in at the dealership today and they immediately said it was a known recall issue. I just got the car back and it seems to be running fine again.

It looks like they replaced the VCM motor and performed an ECM Update. The Campaign or Recall = 60CA27 = VCM Gear Improvement is referenced.

Hopefully that info helps someone else if they experience similar issues with their vehicle. I'm happy that it was handled promptly, but a bit disappointed I wasn't proactively notified of this recall/issue. The mileage is about 77,000km. Now that the issue is resolved I can really feel how much power was missing due to this issue.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good they got it fixed. YEs the VCM/ECM thing was from quite a while ago.

did you tell them about the oil consumption to have it logged down?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not get the oil issue logged this visit. I'm monitoring it closely and think you are right that I should get it on record with them. Very good advice. My prior car (a 2007 Sonata) also wound up consuming oil so I got used to it and the car was great otherwise. I guess I'm too accepting of the issue, but when it gets to the point that the oil needs to be filled between oil changes it really isn't acceptable anymore IMHO...

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
I did not get the oil issue logged this visit. I'm monitoring it closely and think you are right that I should get it on record with them. Very good advice. My prior car (a 2007 Sonata) also wound up consuming oil so I got used to it and the car was great otherwise. I guess I'm too accepting of the issue, but when it gets to the point that the oil needs to be filled between oil changes it really isn't acceptable anymore IMHO...
Good that you got it repaired. TSB are different than recalls they are required to notify owners for recalls. Your update was an old TSB to improve or correct a problem but had not escalated to a recall. They will not notify you of TSB, my 2017 has had 3 and the only way to know is to run the VIN or hear about it on a forum etc and then take it in to the dealer.

You need to get the oil consumption recorded, Hyundai is replacing engines for excessive oil use.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Tiber, it shouldn't be consuming oil already on a 3 year old car especially if you're still under warranty.

Bobsingh here can tell you it will get worse.

it will be helpful you identify your location and details about your ride in your signature or nametag

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am in the west GTA / Mississauga area. Any idea how much oil consumption crosses the line to get action on it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts