Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My keys fell between my seat and the cup console. Under the seat belt covet. I can't get it. I see the edge of the key chain when I am on the floorboard facing back. Just can't reach it. I've lost many things in that vortex. Coins, French fries, pen, eye glass lens and now my key chain.

Does the seat have to come up? Dealer?

Help!

Suzanna

·
Registered
102 Posts
QUOTE (Suzanna @ Apr 28 2010, 08:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317777
My keys fell between my seat and the cup console. Under the seat belt covet. I can't get it. I see the edge of the key chain when I am on the floorboard facing back. Just can't reach it. I've lost many things in that vortex. Coins, French fries, pen, eye glass lens and now my key chain.

Does the seat have to come up? Dealer?

Help!

Suzanna
I would try moving the seat all the way forward or back. If this doesnt help, get a magnetic retriever, they are cheap at any car part store.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moving the seat doesn't help. It's under the plastic seat belt housing. Auto parts stores are closed. At walmart now.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
That is so funny. I would love to come help you but I'm so far now. I lost part of mind on a coin that fell down there, and landed

on the Seat tracks. I remember when a member here took out his seat, and it was disgusting. Somehow I get the feeling you are

cleaner, although lay off those Fries in the Sonata. It has to come out. Do you have large hands? We need a small hand, and some

sort of poking device. I might add the Sonata emergency Road Service might give it a try. Oh Suzanna, thanks for being part of our Forum!

·
Registered
102 Posts
QUOTE (Suzanna @ Apr 28 2010, 08:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317784
Moving the seat doesn't help. It's under the plastic seat belt housing. Auto parts stores are closed. At walmart now.
Look in Wal mart, they should have a magnetic retreiver in the store wether the car section or the hardware/tools section.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Miami, nice to see a familiar face. My PC got hacked so got out of the habit of hanging around. Would check in occassionally but the subjects were more about the new models. My issues all seemed resolved. Except now!

I sure can't remove my seat. And won't trust hubby to do it, the wires would definitely be damaged. It's not a dire emergency. It's my mailbox, house and warehouse keys. The car was running when I stopped to check the mail.

The really funny part is that I lost these keys last week at the grocery store. Got a new key chain then. Never dreamed that they wanted to leave me again!

·
Registered
102 Posts
QUOTE (Suzanna @ Apr 28 2010, 08:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317789
Hi Miami, nice to see a familiar face. My PC got hacked so got out of the habit of hanging around. Would check in occassionally but the subjects were more about the new models. My issues all seemed resolved. Except now!

I sure can't remove my seat. And won't trust hubby to do it, the wires would definitely be damaged. It's not a dire emergency. It's my mailbox, house and warehouse keys. The car was running when I stopped to check the mail.

The really funny part is that I lost these keys last week at the grocery store. Got a new key chain then. Never dreamed that they wanted to leave me again!
I'd forget a key chain and get a belt hook and keep them there...lol just joking. Hope you get them out without having to take the seat off.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's really wierd. I tried holding on to them as they slid down. Four years of stuff. I thought the eye glass lens falling out and gone was bad.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Perhaps a magnetic retractable stick, the one I have is sorta like an antenna with a strong magnet on the top.
You can use it to reach metallic items if they drop in hard to reach places.

You can try Home Depot I think a few are 24hrs in the bay area (Hillsborough and Memorial?)

I'm also in Tampa but too baked to come to your rescue... :whistling:

Good luck!

·
Banned
792 Posts
I removed the passenger seat a while ago. It's not that hard. Only four bolts. I didn't remove it from the car, but just far enough out of the way to get to what fell down there.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lowes sent me to an auto parts store. Tomorrow will try home depot too. Problem will be if the keys are caught in the wires.

Same with removing the seat, afraid of screwing up the seat wiring. Where are the instructions on how to remove the seat belt cover?

Thanks for the suggestions, don't feel so stranded.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Speaking of familiar names, how ya doin, young lady?

Also try an Office Depot or similar; get a metal ruler and see if you can slide it between the plastic guide and the seat. You may be able to move the ruler and push your keychain out enough to grab it. You can also try Home Depot in the electrical department; they have long, sturdy plastic zip ties which you may be able to loop thru your keychain, grab both ends and pull it out.

Let us know how you mak out.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Apr 28 2010, 10:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317811
What are you "baking" if I might ask. This was a perfect opportunity to help a veteran member in need.
A birthday cake for Mary Jane of course.

Suzanna,

There should be a wire harness connector under the seat which you detach and then you can remove the 4 bolts to lift the seat off the rails.
You can then tilt the seat towards the back and should be able to reach underneath.

There are some "we'll do anything for x amount an hour" auto shops around the area then can assist if your not up to it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi it's nice to be remembered. The keys are under the plastic cover. I can't see it from the seat. Only when I am leaning on the floorboard squinting toward the back.

I haven't a clue about how to disconnect the power or the bolts.
I am leary of just anyone hacking into the car. Damaging in the process. But the dealer...how long should it take?
But do you have recommendations of the hour places?

I am in town and country but Tampa isn't that big. I work in Pinellas county, I think one of the guys there might have a magnetic reach. But I wonder if it is strong enough.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I guess see if you can have your friend try the magnetic reach, a local auto zone may have one for you to borrow. As far as shop ive never used one but see them all over, a couple on hillsborough above sheldon I believe. Although any competent auto shop should be able to remove your seat and shouldnt take more then 10-15 minutes...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Agreed; a service station that also does simple repairs (oil changes, etc.) should be able to figure out how to remove the seat. Note: I did NOT say "a quickie lube place." They don't know squat about removing your seat.

Many cars these days have wires going to the seat, and the kind of connectors Hyundai uses are common; the mechanic will know how to safely disconnect the wires just by looking at the connector. The 4 bolts holding the seat are also familiar to a mechanic.

Of course, your dealer can also do this but their labor rate is MUCH higher; this is well within the skills of a service station mechanic. BTW, service station mechanics welcome goodies; brownies are popular. :grin:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yay, I have them.
One of the guys here has both magnetic and claw types. I took the magnetic one first.
The magnetic reach got it. First try. I knew it was one shot, otherwise it would be pushed further back. Lucky because it turns out one end was magnetic the other end not.
Thanks so much for being there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts