Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I wonder if anyone here can help

My mother has a 2004 Hyundai Santa fe 2.7 petrol auto
Its done over 100k miles now and is probably not worth much - but its been super reliable and she is quite attached to it.
The problem is she has just been quoted over £750 for the “front section” of the exhaust which is rusty and holed.
This is probably more than the car is worth so is out of the question.

So where is the best place to buy a new exhaust for this old thing for not much £
Is it silly money because that section has the Catalytic converters in it or is that separate ( online parts diagram would be really useful )
I’m in Gloucestershire, UK / my mum is in Shropshire - but my brother and I could fit it so a mail order place would be fine.

Much appreciated
Garz

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
You would do well to see how much work is involved and if you can do it. You may need a torch and or grinding tools or welder.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,638 Posts
Sorry, exhausts aren't my bag, but it looks like the front pipe might have a CAT on it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Take a few old tin cans....... Heinz beans , tinned tomatos etc. Cut both ends off , cut tin longitudinally , wrap around holes and hold in place with hose clamps. Might need to replace every three years or so.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Take a few old tin cans....... Heinz beans , tinned tomatos etc. Cut both ends off , cut tin longitudinally , wrap around holes and hold in place with hose clamps. Might need to replace every three years or so.
If you have had any success with this on a manifold I would love to see that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, exhausts aren't my bag, but it looks like the front pipe might have a CAT on it.
View attachment 443669
thanks for the diagrams - thats an odd looking system as it seems to have 2 catalytic converters in series - as in one in each bank - and then another further downstream ( in your red box ) does anyone know if this is the case - or is this second one something else ?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,638 Posts
or is this second one something else ?
No, it's a cat, but I don't think all cars will have it. I think it will depend on the emissions regulations the car was built to meet. Given the price of your exhaust though I'm guessing your car has it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info.
any links to online parts diagrams where i could enter the reg or chassis number and find which exhaust part/version i need?

·
Registered
80 Posts
One place you should check out is a custom exhaust shop. You would be surprised what they can do for a reasonable amount of money. They typically use aluminized steel pipe but they might be able to use stainless steel pipe. Actually, I'm surprised the manufacturer didn't use stainless steel. Try a custom exhaust shop. You may be able to find one online or find a car club in your area or your mom's and ask where they get custom exhaust work done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You would do well to see how much work is involved and if you can do it. You may need a torch and or grinding tools or welder.
If it's the front end (2nd part after the engine, strait ) it shouldn't be welded. If they just as bad
Hi- I wonder if anyone here can help

My mother has a 2004 Hyundai Santa fe 2.7 petrol auto
Its done over 100k miles now and is probably not worth much - but its been super reliable and she is quite attached to it.
The problem is she has just been quoted over £750 for the “front section” of the exhaust which is rusty and holed.
This is probably more than the car is worth so is out of the question.

So where is the best place to buy a new exhaust for this old thing for not much £
Is it silly money because that section has the Catalytic converters in it or is that separate ( online parts diagram would be really useful )
I’m in Gloucestershire, UK / my mum is in Shropshire - but my brother and I could fit it so a mail order place would be fine.

Much appreciated
Garz
behind the
Manifold, ( the 1 with 4 or 6 pipes ending in one pipe) the connection shouldn't be welded but bolted.
It's unlikely to un-bolt them without repetively heating up,cooling down with WD40.
If still unable cut the piece-to-be-replaced off, unbolt the manifold, take the cut-of from the manifold and pull away the rest of the exhaust pipe off. It's probably going over the rear axel . Cut it into pieces if necessary. Reassemble it with the new/2nd hand used parts. Add to all that effort on your back in your wet(mine is on fire) country the cost of the exhaust and then maybe £750 isnt that much....
They are good cars, mine looks great from 2012, no rust( last year it rained 4x), minor maintenance.
750 sounds terrible, but you'll have a great car...fingers crossed

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 with 250,00 miles. Replaced the exhaust in 2017, can't remember the price but I used oem parts. If the 750 is for a genuine Hyundai muffler I would get it, especially as you say your mom is attached to it. Those cars can go for over 300,000 miles. I know someone who was over that and only got rid of it because he totalled it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts