Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just bought a 2007 Se with 23k. I bought it from a Honda Dealer.

When I checked it out at first the AC blew cold then after about 5mins it started blowing kinda warm. I had them check it and they said they had to recharge it. Its blowing cold now- but a 3 year old car with 23k shouldnt be having AC problems right? Think there is a leak? Is that covered under warranty?

Also today I took it out for a ride and noticed a creaking, rattling sound coming from the back somewhere. The car is empty - i checked the hatch to make sure it was secure and the rear seats.. cant figure out whats causing it. Any ideas?

Lastly for all the other Se owners how did your cars handle stock? The steering to me is a bit lose, and on the highway its kinda darty- like i have to adjust a bit left, right. left right.. etc its not like I just hold the wheel steady.. now granted I have had much high quality cars like acuras etc. so I am not used to such a cheap car-- but is that normal? I went around a curve to an on ramp for the highway an was going maybe 35-40 and it felt like I was going 90(well new cars can handle 90-- but I used to have an 86 jetta and it felt liek this when I went really fast). The car feels like overwhelemed or something and I havent even beat on it or driven it hard yet..

Do they all feel like this? not a tight sold, connected, feel when you turn and drive?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The SE is NOT a cheap car. There are enough people on the internet calling it a cheap car already.

With that said, I'm guessing you got a beater car. My SE can do onramp curves at upwards of 70mph with barely a tire squeal. Then again, I watch out for bumps which will ruin the SE's suspension. Previous owner probably drove it like it was any other car and bashed up the shocks. On the upside there's no warranty, so you can install anything you want (turbo kit)

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Dude what? If you can't drive fast, let go of the wheel and continue in perfectly straight line, you need an alignment LOL. not the car's fault. Mine drives like a champ. A slow champ, but a champ nonetheless.

·
Registered
810 Posts
QUOTE (JoeyBello @ May 30 2010, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328014
Hey everyone I just bought a 2007 Se with 23k. I bought it from a Honda Dealer.

When I checked it out at first the AC blew cold then after about 5mins it started blowing kinda warm. I had them check it and they said they had to recharge it. Its blowing cold now- but a 3 year old car with 23k shouldnt be having AC problems right? Think there is a leak? Is that covered under warranty?

Also today I took it out for a ride and noticed a creaking, rattling sound coming from the back somewhere. The car is empty - i checked the hatch to make sure it was secure and the rear seats.. cant figure out whats causing it. Any ideas?

Lastly for all the other Se owners how did your cars handle stock? The steering to me is a bit lose, and on the highway its kinda darty- like i have to adjust a bit left, right. left right.. etc its not like I just hold the wheel steady.. now granted I have had much high quality cars like acuras etc. so I am not used to such a cheap car-- but is that normal? I went around a curve to an on ramp for the highway an was going maybe 35-40 and it felt like I was going 90(well new cars can handle 90-- but I used to have an 86 jetta and it felt liek this when I went really fast). The car feels like overwhelemed or something and I havent even beat on it or driven it hard yet..

Do they all feel like this? not a tight sold, connected, feel when you turn and drive?
I'm one of the few people on this forum that have owned both a base model Accent and the fully loaded of this generation, so I can do a comparison for ya. The AC needing to be recharged ultimately depends on how much the previous owner used it, and yes, it can start to fade after 3 years. Sounds to me like the previous owner really loved his AC.

Creaking, rattling from the back could be the spare tire n' kit. When I first bought my SE, they had yoinked my spare tire for someone else's car while it was sitting in the lot and forgot to put in a replacement before they sold it to me. Needless to say, when I discovered it was missing I wasn't happy but they gave me a replacement with no questions asked. I had the tools sitting on top of it and the way it was sitting it was rattling kind of irritatingly. If that's not it, I've also noticed that when the seatbelts in the back are up against the plastic, perhaps because the belt is caught between the seats, it creates a constant vibrating noise that drove me nuts until I realized what it was. There's two suggestions for you to check.

The base model car handles like crap compared to the SE and the ride difference is very noticeable. It was like night and day when I exchanged cars. You wouldn't think so, but it is quite different. The SE handles excellently and even better with a sway bar IMO. Could be that your tires are worn, else you've been spoiled very greatly by the traction control, ABS/ESC, etc features of those higher end cars you mentioned and are a poorer driver for it... not to say that you can't drive, but people are truly spoiled by those features and rely on them far too much. Believe me, if you take the proper line and use the right techniques, you can very easily take a highway ramp at 90 in these cars. I do it all the time, and never feel understeer.

And yes, it sounds like you need an alignment too. Maybe go back to the dealership you bought it from and ask them to recharge the AC/inspect the tread on your tires, and check the alignment and go from there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Naky @ May 31 2010, 02:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328026
I'm one of the few people on this forum that have owned both a base model Accent and the fully loaded of this generation, so I can do a comparison for ya. The AC needing to be recharged ultimately depends on how much the previous owner used it, and yes, it can start to fade after 3 years. Sounds to me like the previous owner really loved his AC.

Creaking, rattling from the back could be the spare tire n' kit. When I first bought my SE, they had yoinked my spare tire for someone else's car while it was sitting in the lot and forgot to put in a replacement before they sold it to me. Needless to say, when I discovered it was missing I wasn't happy but they gave me a replacement with no questions asked. I had the tools sitting on top of it and the way it was sitting it was rattling kind of irritatingly. If that's not it, I've also noticed that when the seatbelts in the back are up against the plastic, perhaps because the belt is caught between the seats, it creates a constant vibrating noise that drove me nuts until I realized what it was. There's two suggestions for you to check.

The base model car handles like crap compared to the SE and the ride difference is very noticeable. It was like night and day when I exchanged cars. You wouldn't think so, but it is quite different. The SE handles excellently and even better with a sway bar IMO. Could be that your tires are worn, else you've been spoiled very greatly by the traction control, ABS/ESC, etc features of those higher end cars you mentioned and are a poorer driver for it... not to say that you can't drive, but people are truly spoiled by those features and rely on them far too much. Believe me, if you take the proper line and use the right techniques, you can very easily take a highway ramp at 90 in these cars. I do it all the time, and never feel understeer.

And yes, it sounds like you need an alignment too. Maybe go back to the dealership you bought it from and ask them to recharge the AC/inspect the tread on your tires, and check the alignment and go from there.

Thanks for the educated response. I will try to comment on everyone's responsese. 1) Yes I know the Se is no longer a "cheap" car selling for 15-16k but the Accent itself is the CHEAPEST car in USA might be different for you Canada people. But the Accent Blue is under 10grand 20$ less than the base model Nissan Versa. So while my car is about 5000$ more than a Base and has some improvements its still a cheap car by new car standards and based on the cheapest car out there. My mom has a 1996 Saturn SL2 that has been in 3 or 4 accidents, never maintained, but has 85k and it handles better than the SE. So I have driven cheaper cars.. but my Last car was a 2001 Acura CL Type-S. Most new cars you can literally drive with maybe 1-2 fingers on the wheel if your going straight. With this SE that was not the case on the highway..also on the bill of sale it shows the previous owner.. so I went and looked her up online.. she is a 49 year old woman. The car has low 23k for a 3 year old car.. and it loooks brand new.. I highly doubt this car was a "beater"

2 of my friends said there was too much rust on it though for a 2007.. like near the brakes, wheel area, and alittle underneath... so I dont know. I drove an accent years and ago and almost bought an elantra GT when it came out.. I was epecting the Se to handle atleast as good as the GT since it has bigger wheels and is a smaller car, but be slower, but it does not handle that good at all. Atleast not mine.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (JoeyBello @ May 31 2010, 11:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328093
my friends said there was too much rust on it though for a 2007
If you have doubts, you can always look up the VIN, just like any other car. That will tell you all the details about all the accidents its been in as well. I can't vouche for your car, but I can say I don't think anyone on this board has had the intensity of issues you've mentioned. I suspect there's something more happening (or happened) than what's on the surface. After having my car in Philly for 2 years on AWFUL roads (half of these roads aren't even paved, but still have manholes... so a 4 inch difference in height), my suspension is still in tip-top shape. It just seems odd that yours would be that messed up.

·
Registered
810 Posts
QUOTE (JoeyBello @ May 31 2010, 09:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328093
2 of my friends said there was too much rust on it though for a 2007.. like near the brakes, wheel area, and alittle underneath... so I dont know. I drove an accent years and ago and almost bought an elantra GT when it came out.. I was epecting the Se to handle atleast as good as the GT since it has bigger wheels and is a smaller car, but be slower, but it does not handle that good at all. Atleast not mine.
Rust huh... here in Canada, the cars have a lifetime warranty that's transferable to all owners so long as there's no obvious damage done to it like a scrape, rock chip, dent, etc. If rust is forming on the car with no obvious damage, it should be covered under warranty if the US has the same coverage.

Though... I'm kinda wondering if the previous owner didn't get into an accident now. It adds up, actually. If it was repaired by a crappy body shop, you'd have the following problems:

- the AC might not have been recharged properly when they discharged it
- the alignment of the car could be off if it was a frontal collision, meaning they either didn't do one or did a crappy job fixing it or missed some damage in the suspension or even worse the frame
- if the car was crappily prepped and not primed properly then rust would be forming where-ever bare metal was exposed when the painter painted over it

Did you or the dealership do a carfax on it and see the accident history? If there's none, that means one of two things - it really is accident free and all those symptoms are unrelated or she inflicted the damage herself (drove into a wall or something, I dunno) and had it repaired on her own dime without claiming insurance which would explain why the corners could have been cut.

·
Registered
268 Posts
As far as creaking, check the rear seats where they clip when they are folded up normally, mine creak there. I added a thin piece of cloth in between to fix it.

Normally, from my experience and seeing others these are very well built cars for the money, I hope your able to address those issues.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (JoeyBello @ May 31 2010, 11:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328093
Thanks for the educated response. I will try to comment on everyone's responsese. 1) Yes I know the Se is no longer a "cheap" car selling for 15-16k but the Accent itself is the CHEAPEST car in USA might be different for you Canada people. But the Accent Blue is under 10grand 20$ less than the base model Nissan Versa. So while my car is about 5000$ more than a Base and has some improvements its still a cheap car by new car standards and based on the cheapest car out there. My mom has a 1996 Saturn SL2 that has been in 3 or 4 accidents, never maintained, but has 85k and it handles better than the SE. So I have driven cheaper cars.. but my Last car was a 2001 Acura CL Type-S. Most new cars you can literally drive with maybe 1-2 fingers on the wheel if your going straight. With this SE that was not the case on the highway..also on the bill of sale it shows the previous owner.. so I went and looked her up online.. she is a 49 year old woman. The car has low 23k for a 3 year old car.. and it loooks brand new.. I highly doubt this car was a "beater"

There's definitely something wrong with your car. A friend of mine who drives a 96 GTI VR6 with Bilstein Sport shocks, Ground Control coils and sticky tires (handles like it's on rails) was pretty impressed by my base model with 16" wheels and 205/45 kuhmo ecsta AST tires.

Check the tires for abnormal wear that would indicate an alignement problem. If they are cheap tires, you'll definitely feel it. Like stated above, the car could have been in an accident and not fixed properly and the shop thought they could get away with it with an alignement. I have no problem keeping the car straight on the hightway with two fingers on the wheel. Maybe your tie-rod ends are worn. It could explain why it feels loose. I would take it to a hyundai dealer and have them check it out and refer you to their bodyshop if it's not in-house to measure the car and look for previous repairs.

Pics of the rust would help see how bad it is too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran a autocheck before I bought it which basically the same thing as carfax. It indicated no accidents or flood, etc. But I have looked at plenty of used cars that had been in accidents but had a clear carfax.. because as soemone said they did not go through insurance.. alot of people down here in NY try to do that- keeps ur insurance for goin up, obviously now with carfax and autocheck it keeps your score higher, so it is possible it had some damage that wasnt recorded. The rust is in the brake/wheel area-- like the rotors or whatever.. u know when u look atthe wheels what shows behind it.. the rust under the car isnt too bad-- havent seen rust on the car itself ...

As for the creaking sound.. its defiantely coming from the back area.. had my mom sit back there.. at first i thought it was the hatch or oemthing.. but i took out the tools in the spare well, took off the rear self.. buckled all the seat belts.. tried eevrything i could think of but still heard it.. i did not realize the rear seats come up and fold out...I dont know if its just mine or all of them but they dont click/lock into place.. what kind of design is that? I mean when they are in normal position.. and the sound could have something to do with them? I thought of that also

·
Registered
497 Posts
Did you try reclining the rear seats all the way back so that there is no gap? May solve the issue...

Infact many owners I've met didn't know the rear seats reclined at all.

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
QUOTE (JoeyBello @ May 31 2010, 10:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328288
The rust is in the brake/wheel area-- like the rotors or whatever.. u know when u look atthe wheels what shows behind it.. the rust under the car isnt too bad-- havent seen rust on the car itself ...
Rotors rusting?  I haven't seen many cars that didn't show any evidence of rust on the rotors after a few years. :whistling:  If you're really worried about it, replace the rotors.  Worst I can see happening with them being rusty is they might get a little difficult to remove. :grin:

Mine have some surface rust that has developed over the 4.5 years they have been on there...  The calipers are showing a bit of rust too. I'll be replacing the rotors when I am due for pads, so I'm not worried about it. Aside from that, no rust anywhere else.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (JoeyBello @ May 31 2010, 12:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328014

sounds like you have an alignment issue, and possibly tire wear issues. I have a base model GS 3-door hatch, and the handling and body-roll were terrible but the car tracked very straight, and had really nice solid feel through the steering wheel. Turn-in response was much better than I expected. It was not sloppy at all. I can only imagine that the steering feel should be better on the SE.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (fonque @ Jun 1 2010, 08:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328401
sounds like you have an alignment issue, and possibly tire wear issues. I have a base model GS 3-door hatch, and the handling and body-roll were terrible but the car tracked very straight, and had really nice solid feel through the steering wheel. Turn-in response was much better than I expected. It was not sloppy at all. I can only imagine that the steering feel should be better on the SE.

I mean maybe I am making it sound worse.. around town its not bad, but on the highway and sharper turns is where I see it more.. Because I did test drive it twice.. but the dealer does not let you take cars on the highway.. they were like turn right here.. tunr here, etc.. felt like i was on a road test~ lol So i really did not notice it till I took it home and was free to do what I wanted and took it on the highway... but I was drivng my moms saturn yesterday at 70mph with 2 fingers... the one time I had the Accent on the highway i had to correct alot and use 2 hands.

·
Registered
709 Posts
that really is leaning more toward an alignment issue. The only vehicle I have ever driven that didnt track straight even when brand new was a first gen licoln navigator. Scary vehicle

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
About the rear seats.. how do they recline? and where exactly do you put the cloth or whatever.. I also had another question.. not sure if mine are broke or they all have this.. do they lock into place in 2 different positions? Mine especially the passeneger one.. locks 1/2 way and the u have pull the release again an kind make it go back flush... but intitally they lock into place like 1/2 way where u can still see 1/2 the metal piece..

·
Registered
497 Posts
QUOTE (JoeyBello @ Jun 1 2010, 12:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328471
About the rear seats.. how do they recline? and where exactly do you put the cloth or whatever.. I also had another question.. not sure if mine are broke or they all have this.. do they lock into place in 2 different positions? Mine especially the passeneger one.. locks 1/2 way and the u have pull the release again an kind make it go back flush... but intitally they lock into place like 1/2 way where u can still see 1/2 the metal piece..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts