Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the sound that I hear coming from the front driver's side wheel. Is it a bad wheel bearing? The noise is loudest when the car is coasting to a stop, not under acceleration. I do not hear the noise at highway speeds. The noise is not that noticeable when I apply gas and accelerate.

Link to Youtube videos with sound clips:

Sound clip of car going in a straight line:

Sound clip of car going in a reverse:

Sound clip of car making right turn: There is a "whom whom whom" noise before the turn. When I turn the sound diminishes.

Sound clip of car making left turn: There is a "whom whom whom" noise before the turn. When I turn the sound diminishes.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Did anyone in your household hit a curb violently? No.. I can't help it but there are many reasons to say you need a new driveshaft. The universal is making the noise. Driveshafts show their failure in turns at slow speed. If you can afford it change the bearing as well, but I highly doubt it is the bearing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sony2000, it is not the driveshaft. I have changed numerous drive shafts on Hondas and Acuras. Outboard driveshafts make a clicking noise when they go bad. The inboard drive shaft will make a woop-woop sound.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Sure sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Tyres may also make a similar noise but that can be eliminated by driving on different road surfaces.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Drive it on a deserted piece of road at moderate speed. Weave back and forth loading one side then the other repeatedly . It will really growl while it’s loaded in the swerve then fade noticeably when round swerve the other way. That’s an easy way to locate which wheel bearing is going bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
To be clear, swerving left unloads right. When unloaded it will quiet.

·
Registered
362 Posts
sony2000, it is not the driveshaft. I have changed numerous drive shafts on Hondas and Acuras. Outboard driveshafts make a clicking noise when they go bad. The inboard drive shaft will make a woop-woop sound.
Yes. So listen to clip #2. click, click,click.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts