Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I get a "Key not detected" and then "insert key"

After the fourth try to start the car it did start.....

I pulled the battery from the fob and it was weak so I replaced it and everything seems fine now but I couldn't remember where you put the Key when the push to start doesn't work...

I know I can go get the manual etc etc etc

But it seemed to me the spot was located in the console box, am I correct ?? Also has anyone ever actually used it ??? do you just push it and the car starts or twist and turn , or a combination of both plus push the start button the dash ????????

·
Registered
433 Posts
inside the arm rest, half way down facing the front. Just slide the key in and the push start works as normal. If you leave the key in, the car always beeps when you get out letting you know the key is still in place.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
inside the arm rest, half way down facing the front. Just slide the key in and the push start works as normal. If you leave the key in, the car always beeps when you get out letting you know the key is still in place.
Thanks, I may go try this just to make sure if I ever have to use it that it actually does work in my car.....:)

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Is the battery life in the fob really limited to just two or three years? Perhaps they drain faster than other fobs due to the proximity key technology.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
How long should a little wafer battery last.. how many times a day do you push the button for lock-ulock/open trunk via button on smartkey.. every button push is a nibble of electric used that not being put back..

I been getting cars wrote up as WARRANTY for smartkey concerns, first thing is if car 2-3yr old, it getting remote battery test, and a new battery.. and this is what I write on the ticket --> "Replaced weak battery, cannot duplicate concern, no problem found. I only get paid for battery replace. Typically car gets left all day for $3 battery.

2 pack battery at Wal-Mart it $5 or $6,, replace every 2-3yr,, or first sign of remote goofiness.. the more you use them, the shorter life they have

·
Registered
920 Posts
Agree with sbr, my fob battery died over the summer and all I did was replace the cell. They only last a few years. Its like a watch battery. They won't always last forever.

·
Registered
458 Posts
How long should a little wafer battery last.. how many times a day do you push the button for lock-ulock/open trunk via button on smartkey.. every button push is a nibble of electric used that not being put back..

I been getting cars wrote up as WARRANTY for smartkey concerns, first thing is if car 2-3yr old, it getting remote battery test, and a new battery.. and this is what I write on the ticket --> "Replaced weak battery, cannot duplicate concern, no problem found. I only get paid for battery replace. Typically car gets left all day for $3 battery.

2 pack battery at Wal-Mart it $5 or $6,, replace every 2-3yr,, or first sign of remote goofiness.. the more you use them, the shorter life they have
you mean people actually pull the fob out of their pockets or purses, to unlock the doors or open the trunk?? I've found its easier just to leave the fob in my pocket and use the button on the door or trunk

·
Registered
281 Posts
^^^

The nav screen boots up faster and will be ready to go if you unlock with the fob ahead of times but you're right, most of the time I use the button, that is what it's there for...

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
Agree with sbr, my fob battery died over the summer and all I did was replace the cell. They only last a few years. Its like a watch battery. They won't always last forever.
I have replaced the battery in one of my keys twice since I had the car. So yea, get a cheap pack from Wally World or something to be prepared.

BTW I would think the wireless charging would be kind of a neat thing.

However, it would be
1--very expensive due to req a rechargeable coin battery and the transmitter/receiver pieces put into the car and fob respectively
2--inefficient b/c only about 70% of the power reaches the target with the best Qi technology (assuming Qi is used like it is in wireless cell phone charger setups) and
3--not very helpful, since most of us never put the key in the slot unless it dies.

Now, if it were some kind of charging setup that automatically started charging the fobs one the car was started then maybe it would make more sense. However, think of the additional cost it would bring to the car. Using the same cell phone example, the complete charging setups are easily $70+. Translate that to OEM in a car, I would bet it would be a $3-400 option.

Hyundai would do better giving us HID headlights or LED tails as options across the Sonata range

·
Registered
42 Posts
"inside the arm rest, half way down facing the front. Just slide the key in and the push start works as normal. If you leave the key in" When you say "the key" are we talking about the key in the fob thing, or the key when it's taken out?? Sorry but I have no clue. I felt around in my centre console but couldn't tell what I'm supposed to be doing haha

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep battery fixed it......

BTW I always use the button on the door and trunk . I don't think I have used the fob to lock or unlock more than 6 times in the last 3 and 1/2 years... just seems easier for me to push the button...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts