Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i tried to drive my 13' hybrid to work this morning, but the malfunction indicator came on after about 1 min of driving. Then the hybrid battery indicator went from half way to completely empty in less than 1 mile. dashboard is beeping giving me the "hybrid battery low, do not drive" warning. car then lost driving power and i had to pull to the side of the road. restarted my car, car shakes really bad for about couple minutes, battery charged to 1 quarter or so, then i decided to drive it back home, same thing happened again (hybrid battery completely drain, lost power, unable to drive) in about 1/2 mile. had to restart again and went through the same process to get my car home. The eco guide indicator stayed in the top red level the entire time i was driving. Has anyone experienced this? Will take it to the dealership later this week. Appreciate any help.

thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Never seen that before. I'd recommend using your free roadside assistance to have it towed to the dealer though. It definitely doesn't sound safe to drive!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out too!

·
Registered
113 Posts
hello,

i tried to drive my 13' hybrid to work this morning, but the malfunction indicator came on after about 1 min of driving. Then the hybrid battery indicator went from half way to completely empty in less than 1 mile. dashboard is beeping giving me the "hybrid battery low, do not drive" warning. car then lost driving power and i had to pull to the side of the road. restarted my car, car shakes really bad for about couple minutes, battery charged to 1 quarter or so, then i decided to drive it back home, same thing happened again (hybrid battery completely drain, lost power, unable to drive) in about 1/2 mile. had to restart again and went through the same process to get my car home. The eco guide indicator stayed in the top red level the entire time i was driving. Has anyone experienced this? Will take it to the dealership later this week. Appreciate any help.

thanks
The exact same thing happened to me about 8 weeks ago. I usually keep an eye on the battery level as I like to see how the car is managing it's power sources and resources. It dropped from 50% to 0% in a few seconds and basically the car had no acceleration power. I called to get a tow to the dealer and they said they "fixed" it by running the gas engine for several minutes. Luckily it hasn't happened again but it didn't leave a good feeling about the car. If this had happened in the middle of a high speed road, I could see some potential accident occurring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How many miles on your odometer? Do you do mostly highway driving? city? combination of both? That sounds scary, I have a 2013 and I would be very disappointed with the vehicle if I got that error in my first year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought the car in November 2013, it's less than 3 months old with 2000 miles. About 50% each for hwy and city. Tried to drive the car tonight just around the block, and same thing happen (vibration, lost of power, empty hybrid battery). Gonna tow it to dealership this weekend. Hopefully dealer can fix it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That sucks - please update when you find out what happens. Maybe if you take it to the dealer during the week they can give you a loaner car to drive during the week while they diagnose and repair?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got my car from the dealership, they said something about the hybrid battery wasn't connecting to the engine correctly when the car was assembled from factory. Everything works fine now (no more vibration & battery level stays within range). Now i just need to to fix the whirling/loud fan spinning noise that I hear when the AC is on while the car is stopped/parked or on electric vehicle mode (they said it was related to the hybrid battery connection and they fixed it, but it's still super loud).

·
Registered
521 Posts
got my car from the dealership, they said something about the hybrid battery wasn't connecting to the engine correctly when the car was assembled from factory. Everything works fine now (no more vibration & battery level stays within range). Now i just need to to fix the whirling/loud fan spinning noise that I hear when the AC is on while the car is stopped/parked or on electric vehicle mode (they said it was related to the hybrid battery connection and they fixed it, but it's still super loud).
My 2011 does the same sound. I only ever hear it when I'm stopped with the windows open and nothing else happening. At least on my ride... it's not that bad.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The radiator fan is for the ac system to function properly and so your car does not overheat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The radiator fan is for the ac system to function properly and so your car does not overheat.
so the radiator fan only comes on to cool the AC when the car is in EV mode? It doesn't need to be on when car is going above 15mph? Doesn't make sense though in my opinion....we'll see what the dealership service manager say when i take it in again next weekend.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The fan will come on whenever the AC is turned on EV mode or not. The fan will also cycle on and off depending on the temp of the engine coolant. The system will maintain the 'normal' operating temperature so that the car does not overheat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had a similar experience. 2013 Sonata Hybrid, 6K miles. After driving for about 30 minutes at highway speed I exited into stop and go traffic. The car stopped accelerating getting only a little push from the battery. The gas engine would not kick in and the ECO gauge was in the red area. I pulled off the road to safety and turned off the car. Started back up and the same issue was happening. I was close to an exit and was able to limp to a parking lot where I contacted Roadside assistance for a tow. In the parking lot the battery indicator was drained with a warning to stop driving. Of course, at the dealer there appears to be no issue with the car. They are taking it for an extended test drive but I am not hopeful they will recreate the issue. Any suggestions for what I can tell the dealer to look for would be really helpful. I don't want to put my family in this car again.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It's a shame that many are still experiencing these types of dangerous problems going into the 4th model year with this vehicle. All the kinks should have long been worked out by now. Seems to be too many of these similar issues lately, and that's just the owners who have found and posted on this forum. I could only imagine how many owners have had this problem and don't know this forum exists or haven't gone online to research it. I fully understand you not wanting to put your family in this brand new vehicle which you purchased to safely transport them in. I was in the same boat a couple of years ago, but mine is running well now. I sincerely hope Hyundai steps up their game and improves their hybrids as these potentially dangerous problems won't help with their sales numbers or pricing.
The best thing you should do is get a video recording of it when it happens. I carried a small camcorder in my center armrest to record my event, but virtually everyone carries one in the form of a cellphone or better yet a smartphone with great resolution these days. A video is much better than trying to put it into words, and better yet it is undisputed proof of your problem. A few of us on the forum have recorded their events to show their service managers with success.
Best of luck to you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts