Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i need help with this!! I have a used 2009 sonata the previous owner put 20" rims on the car. My hyundai dealer is saying that 20" is WAY too BIG for a sonata and i need to change it back to 17" or 16" to get more life out of my car and to prevent pre mature wear and tear...my dealer says i have to pay to get the rim size changed back to 17" which is alot of money then buy 4 new tires on top of that which is more money...my QUESTION is what is the real process to down size? Can i just buy new tires and put them on there or do i really have to change the rim itself? How can i do this the cheapest way possible? Should i go only to my hyundai dealer or go to someone eles because i think they are just trying to get more money from me!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
A couple of places you can look for proper sizes:

Open the drivers door and look for the sticker that gives the suggested tire/rim sizes for your car.

Go to www.tirerack.com put in your vehicle info and they will give OEM recommended tires. They will also give +1 +2 tire sizes. They have wheel and tire packages available including stock size steel wheels. They are fairly price competitive. Shipping cost is pretty much offset by no sales tax.

If you locality has a wheel shop they may swap your 20s for 17s or you can try selling the 20s on ebay.

You may find some acceptable 17s at a salvage yard,

Good luck.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I have a used 2009 sonata the previous owner put 20" rims on the car.
I assume one reason you bought the car, was that you liked the 20" wheels. If you gave your tires an excellent balance & alignment job & started driving like a feather footer, you will dramatically cut down on wear & tear AND have a wonderfully smooth ride. You also should regain some mpg that the previous driver lost when he went to 20" wheels. When I went from 15" wheels to 17" wheels on a past car, I lost mpg, but careful driving kept me from losing too much mpg AND gave me a wonderfully smooth ride.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Find someone to do a trade. I'm sure someone will want to trade stock wheels for a set of 20s.

·
Registered
726 Posts
And no, you can't put a 17" tire on a 20" wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume one reason you bought the car, was that you liked the 20" wheels. If you gave your tires an excellent balance & alignment job & started driving like a feather footer, you will dramatically cut down on wear & tear AND have a wonderfully smooth ride. You also should regain some mpg that the previous driver lost when he went to 20" wheels. When I went from 15" wheels to 17" wheels on a past car, I lost mpg, but careful driving kept me from losing too much mpg AND gave me a wonderfully smooth ride.
Yea i drive really careful but every auto parts shop tells me i need to change them back to the originalt tires because my breaks wear off fast and its pulling alot of gas i cant have 2 people in my back seat because the back of the car starts to scrub...YES I LOVED MY RIMS but i want my car to last so i have to let them go

·
Registered
305 Posts
One thing is certain....20" wheels don't correlate with a comfortable ride or a normal working proposition for your suspension / brakes no matter how you slice it. There are several internet sites that have tire size calculators with plus / minus sizes for whatever wheel size. Unfortunately, unless you can swap with someone or find some cheap wheels, it's going to be expensive. How about $50/each 17" black steelies versus $400/each rims? The "gangstas" will think you're cool and you'll be rolling on cheapies....I'm at least half serious....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts