Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Tucson Limited with 23,000 miles. Just had the cabin air filter replaced by the dealer. . .hadn't noticed any problems prior to replacement, but was told by another service center that it was dirty when I had my last oil change. . .so off to the Hyundai dealer a few days ago, $50 later, drove it home about 10 miles and parked in the garage for a day or so. Upon next start-up (and every start-up subsequently), a HORRIBLE odor permeates the cab, requiring driving with windows down(in sub-freezing and barely above freezing temps!) for about 5 minutes until it gradually subsides, but never completely clears. I can't quite identify the odor, but it is AWFUL. Of course the dealer is too busy to get me in for several more days, which makes the car nearly unusable. . . any ideas???
(PS. I found a metal nut on the floor of the car after the servicing, probably incidental but not reassuring.)

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Moved to "LM" 2010-up forum for better response.

Replacing the cabin filter is a 5 minutes job. Should have nothing to do with your odor. You may have some dead insect/rotten leaves or whatever in the cabin air intake. Check the black grill under your windshield. It goes straight to the air filter.
Open the glovebox, snap/squeeze the filter door & pull that new filter out for inspection.
GL.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
parkedin the garage for a day or so. Upon next start-up (and every start-up subsequently), a HORRIBLE odor permeates the cab, requiring driving with windows down(in sub-freezing and barely above freezing temps!) for about 5 minutes until it gradually subsides, but never completely clears. I can't quite identify the odor, but it is AWFUL. Of course the dealer is too busy to get me in for several more days, which makes the car nearly unusable. . . any ideas???
(PS. I found a metal nut on the floor of the car after the servicing, probably incidental but not reassuring.)

Critters in the garage get in and whiz on your new filter ?

Something in the air stream causing odor, and it cant be a new white paper filter.. Cowl at base of windshield full of old rotten tree / brush compost ? ... open hood and look too.

Dealer pull filter door and filter and find debris, it be on your dime again, and more if there is clean up not related to Hyundai material-workmanship.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oops!

Sorry, I was eating my egg salad sandwich and must have replaced your old cabin filter with it. I get really distracted sometimes gazing at my mechanic's girl of the month calendar. Bring it back in to us and I'll retrieve the moldy morsel for free :eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
H51 - please do post the results after the Hyundai inspection. Could the filter be a nasty cheap imitation of the genuine article for which you paid full price?

·
Registered
35 Posts
H51 - please do post the results after the Hyundai inspection. Could the filter be a nasty cheap imitation of the genuine article for which you paid full price?
$11 paper filter versus the exact same $34 paper filter??

It's not rocket science, it's a cabin air filter. Go cheap or go home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts