Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I am a university student with a lot of elbow grease and very little money.

I own a 2001 Accent, 1.5 liter standard transmission.

About 2 weeks ago I woke up to find that my car wouldnt start, wasnt able to start with a boost, but was able to start with a push! (so i assumed the starter was bad, I never investigated it though)

Yesterday i go a push and parked the car after some errands, and it wouldnt start once again, even with a push this time.

Once i got to a comfortable speed and let the clutch out, the car did not start, and simply just made a clunking sound.

My mechanic says it may be the timing belt, but when i took the cover off the top part of the belt seemed okay...

Im stuck!! any help at all would be much appreciated !! ^_^

·
Registered
669 Posts
The mechanic may still be right.

Do this Google Image search:
"timing belt teeth stripped"

It can be very hard to spot the damaged sections.

How many miles on the car?
Is it possible that the belt has never been replaced?

I'm not saying that you did have a belt failure but it is a possibility.

Jim

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
the fact that you got it started the first time makes me doubt the timing belt.

if it is the timing belt you should hear the starter try to turn the engine over and fail to do so. but it sounds like you're getting nothing?

if you're getting the infamous loud click when you turn the key and nothing from the starter at all, that's the starter motor. if no click, that's the solenoid.

another thought is the clutch neutral start switch. your foot has to be on the clutch to start....as sensed by a switch under the clutch pedal. if its failed, the car thinks the clutch is still engaged. easy test with a multimeter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the fact that you got it started the first time makes me doubt the timing belt.

if it is the timing belt you should hear the starter try to turn the engine over and fail to do so. but it sounds like you're getting nothing?

if you're getting the infamous loud click when you turn the key and nothing from the starter at all, that's the starter motor. if no click, that's the solenoid.

another thought is the clutch neutral start switch. your foot has to be on the clutch to start....as sensed by a switch under the clutch pedal. if its failed, the car thinks the clutch is still engaged. easy test with a multimeter.
We did push start it a couple times before and it started fine, but the last time it just wouldn't turn over.

As far as the "click", that is in fact present. With the clutch depressed, and the key turned all i get is one loud "CLICK" then once i try again, nothing at all.

I did some further investigation into the timing belt and hand cranked it around, and still found all teeth were in tact. (From what I saw anyway)
The car has about 180,000 kms on it and the belt has been replaced once before, and the "due date" is approaching (maybe a couple thousand until I should have it replaced.) but saying that the old one looks pretty good still.

Thanks for the replies guys! :D^_^^_^

·
22,793 Posts
Hello! I am a university student with a lot of elbow grease and very little money. ^_^
You and a LOT of your fellow classmates! But that's why you're there. To someday correct that problem. Once, and for all.

My guess is: starter, solenoid. Like the guys alluded to.

Study hard. It's important! You'll soon discover why if you didn't!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You and a LOT of your fellow classmates! But that's why you're there. To someday correct that problem. Once, and for all.

Study hard. It's important! You'll soon discover why if you didn't!
I appreciate the advice! I think i may get a starter from the junk yard as im simply lost at this point. I even tried tapping on the starter a bit with a hammer... I didn't hit it too hard but i just got the "CLICK" once again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
But ....

Wouldn't you still be able to push start the car, even if the starter/solenoid was completely gone??

·
22,793 Posts
You are correct, sir. I would think so. But I'm at a loss, here. I have always been able to jump start one with a decent push. My method was to pop the clutch in 2nd gear, less lower gear ratio. This works well if you have only 2 people-power giving you a push down the street and one of those has to jump in, push the clutch in, put it into gear, and pop the thing out...hoping that the ignition is in the on position (let's not discuss this publicly, ok? ;) )before the thing slows to a crawl. First gear ratio is so low that sometimes the car just comes to a quick stop.

I thought of a loose wire, or frayed battery cable wire. If there's a second wire running off the positive terminal, I'd look at that connection, too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats just the problem, the car used to start with a push, however the last time we tried to push start it... it didnt work.
Popped the clutch in second, after going a solid 10-15km/h and it just would keep rolling further, and there was a whooping sound...almost like the gears werent turning and it was still in neutral?

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,803 Posts
Is the 1.5L engine an interference one? If the timing belt is shot you may have bent the valves.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Just figuring if it won't push start the starter is not the problem?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
bump starting isn't all that foolproof. can take practice to get it right, he might not be getting it to catch properly.

fix the known problem first, then go after any others. he's also turned the engine over by hand to inspect the belt. i'd say that's pretty conclusive. not only would belt damage be evident, but the engine likely wouldn't turn over properly either. even better to turn the crank with plugs still in to see if its making compression.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe im going to replace the starter as a first measure, and possibly just remove the entire cover over the timing belt to further investigate whether or not it is damaged.
(although, i hope it is not damaged because it is a interference engine, and i did turn the belt by hand. whoops! (maybe this means its fine though??))

Ill keep posting as i progress! thanks for the great advice everybody.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah I agree jump starting NOT foolproof , tire traction snow on ground can interfere with getting proper speed etc.

Solenoid on starter can intermediately fail ; you can test a loose starter with a set of jumper cables and a screw driver to arc out power connections on solenoid.
Wrecker guy can show you with a used starter before you buy it. Keep your boot on starter as you test it. Getting a little cool for car repairs.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
other than your hands freezing off, not a lot :p

i've done it enough...over in ontario. it sucks man. if you can find some insulated work gloves, they are awesome.

if you're using air tools they may not work so well.

i think you're right on with replacing the starter. little tip: do you have a partsource out there? they will put that starter on a test bench and diagnose for free. only thing you need is a ride to the store and back.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
If it won't start when pushing it and in 2nd gear then there is something keeping the motor from turning over or if it is turning over there is no spark, no fuel. The strange sound my be the clutch slipping.

Turn on the headlights and see if they dim quite a bit when you hear the 'click'. If they do your starter is trying to turn the motor over and cannot. It is stalling and drawing a lot of electricity.

If it clicks and the lights do not dim it is the starter solenoid within the starter. This means the yoke inside is not engaging and pushing the main internal contacts together or the starter wiring is open or the main internal contacts are bad.

I do not think it is the starter though. I think the motor is locked up from what it sounds like. You can also try and turn the motor over by hand too. Usually if the motor is free you can put a wrench on the alternator pulley bolt and turn the motor over that way, at least a little. Turn it clockwise.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
If it won't start when pushing it and in 2nd gear then there is something keeping the motor from turning over or if it is turning over there is no spark, no fuel. The strange sound my be the clutch slipping.

Turn on the headlights and see if they dim quite a bit when you hear the 'click'. If they do your starter is trying to turn the motor over and cannot. It is stalling and drawing a lot of electricity.

If it clicks and the lights do not dim it is the starter solenoid within the starter. This means the yoke inside is not engaging and pushing the main internal contacts together or the starter wiring is open or the main internal contacts are bad.

I do not think it is the starter though. I think the motor is locked up from what it sounds like. You can also try and turn the motor over by hand too. Usually if the motor is free you can put a wrench on the alternator pulley bolt and turn the motor over that way, at least a little. Turn it clockwise.
the fact that the motor can be turned over by hand without issue tells me that there is no issue with the timing belt and the valves/pistons. turning it faster or slower will make no difference. if there is interference, its there. if there is none, there is none! if any issue is suspected with engine internals, a compression test should be done! but wait, the starter is not turning which is independent of the engine condition! it doesn't care what shape the engine is in, the starter will try to turn that crank weather it kills it or not.

as stated, bump starting is not foolproof!

i agree with testing the battery and connections to the starter. beyond that, its the starter. nothing wrong with testing those and it's quite quick. multimeter on the starter with someone turning the key to measure voltage, and then try to boost it with another car.

beyond that, its a starter.

not sure why we're getting into the timing again here...

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Sorry but just trying to confirm the motor is good. Taking off the starter is not always and easy job an you should be absolutely sure that is the problem.

What starter does it have? I see that Hyundai changed starters in March of 2001. One has a built in starter relay the other is mounted on top.

As one who in the past long ago has just swapped starters to only find out it was not the starter I don't see why you are jumping to the starter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts