Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Thanks in advance for any help with my issue, greatly appreciated! I am leaning towards a wheel hub bearing issue that is most noticeable when coming to a stop. The front of the car shakes in the frontend when braking. I have jacked the car up and the passenger tire has some play only on the front of the tire (3:00 position when looking at the wheel hub side) and wiggles back and forth on the wheel toe adjustment angle. The wheel is solid in every other direction and the other tire solid. Also the car seems to shake at highway speeds just not as bad when applying brake.

Does this sound like the wheel bearing? There is no noise coming from it when I listen to it driving or turning it manually when car lifted on jacks.

Thanks again

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do you feel the shaking in the steering wheel? Worth investigating it being a disc. If it’s been shaking for a while due to issues with the disc it could have damaged other wearing parts like the CV axle (which can cause shaking at highway speeds).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you feel the shaking in the steering wheel? Worth investigating it being a disc. If it’s been shaking for a while due to issues with the disc it could have damaged other wearing parts like the CV axle (which can cause shaking at highway speeds).
Thanks rjsilva for the reply. I don't think it can be the rotors because they look and feel fine and the wheel wobbles back and forth while the car lifted up. The passenger tire has excessive play while wobbling it back and forth in the toe adjustment direction. it even wobbles with the tire off the hub too. I just wish there was a definitive way to know for sure if its the hub bearing??? There is clunking noise too when going over bumps too when turning as well I notice. I'm just gonna order the bearing and change it out and then I can see how the lower ball oint is too with it off the knuckle and if theres play there.

What else could it be besides the bearing with those symptoms??

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well ... a hub bearing is not that expensive, right? :) Wouldn’t hurt to change it.

For the clunk it’s worth checking the tie rod for play and investigating the ball joint on the control arm. On my 2003 with 187000 those have so far been the only reasons for clunking on the front end.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
If it is a bearing the hub will be hotter than normal after a highway drive. Don't touch the rotor though, just the wheel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well ... a hub bearing is not that expensive, right? :) Wouldn’t hurt to change it.

For the clunk it’s worth checking the tie rod for play and investigating the ball joint on the control arm. On my 2003 with 187000 those have so far been the only reasons for clunking on the front end.
True, just the bearing isn't worth much but I'm gonna buy the whole hub assembly to make my life much easier so I don't have to press the bearings. Is that ok if I just change out one side like that and leave the other side alone? It's definitely not the tie rod end as it is very tight and not wobbling on the back side at all. It's just so weird why it only wobbles on the front side of the wheel...

The funny thing is I already changed the bearings on the same side that's the issue but I got the whole hub assembly and knuckle from a junk yard because I couldn't get the hub assembly out of the knuckle because it was so rusted in... Crazy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is a bearing the hub will be hotter than normal after a highway drive. Don't touch the rotor though, just the wheel.
Thanks Red Raspberry, awesome advice. Maybe I'll test that test tomorrow after hockey practice quickly on the highway and then feel it out when I get home. I'll compare it to the other side. I'll feel it on the inside of the rim and maybe even use my infrared gun to get an exact read on the temp. Bingo! just the troubleshoot test I was looking for. Cheers guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long would I have to drive on the highway to get a good heat reading on the tire?

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
How long would I have to drive on the highway to get a good heat reading on the tire?
Depends on how bad the bearing is, But with an infrared gun it should show up after 15 minutes. Longer is better. And look at the axle nut for the temp if you can..

And when getting a new hub you also get the new dust shield that on my Midwest cars gets ate up by the salt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends on how bad the bearing is, But with an infrared gun it should show up after 15 minutes. Longer is better. And look at the axle nut for the temp if you can..

And when getting a new hub you also get the new dust shield that on my Midwest cars gets ate up by the salt.
Today I got the temperature reading of the axle nut and rotor after driving on the highway for 15 mins and both sides were exactly the same temperature... I'm not sure if it's the bearing still... I wonder how I can troubleshoot this wobble on my front tire???

It's looking like I'll have to take a chance on replacing he bearing and hopefully that's the problem?? It might be the lower ball joint once I get it apart too... I changed out the lower control arms and lower ball joints about 100k kms ago.

Any other ideas to help diagnose this??

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well ... as I said, when I hear clunking and vibration at higher speeds I think the ball joint and CV axle. And when I hear about shaking while braking I think of the rotors. I’m not sure you could necessarily see warped rotors with your eyes...

Though I’m not saying it’s definitely that, or that it’s not the bearing, just worth investigating. I actually had to replace my control arms a few times in the past few years. Initially because I let the brake shaking go on to long and that damaged the ball joints and tie rod ends. But I put lame control arms on and they had to replaced a couple of years later. And I just replaced them again because the boot got ripped on both replacements and one of them was starting to knock/thump again, so I replaced both. Hopefully this last set will last longer than a year or two :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope its ok I add a video of the tire wobble.

Maybe I should take a closer look at the CV joint possibly? What could cause a wobble only on the front part of the wheel???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well ... as I said, when I hear clunking and vibration at higher speeds I think the ball joint and CV axle. And when I hear about shaking while braking I think of the rotors. I’m not sure you could necessarily see warped rotors with your eyes...

Though I’m not saying it’s definitely that, or that it’s not the bearing, just worth investigating. I actually had to replace my control arms a few times in the past few years. Initially because I let the brake shaking go on to long and that damaged the ball joints and tie rod ends. But I put lame control arms on and they had to replaced a couple of years later. And I just replaced them again because the boot got ripped on both replacements and one of them was starting to knock/thump again, so I replaced both. Hopefully this last set will last longer than a year or two :)
What kind of lame control arms were they? I'd be pissed having new parts fail that quickly. Good thing you can do your own work, imaging paying big money to have that work done and getting those results...

The wheel is clunking when turning and hitting a bump, Clunking when first reversing out of the driveway in the morning. The wheel is definitely clunking a lot so maybe I should be really investigating the cv joint more... I'm going to google diagnosing a cv joint now.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don’t think the clunking would come from the CV axle. That could cause the vibration at higher speeds. The ball joint or the tie rod would be a more likely cause of the clunking. I was just thinking that because you have vibration when braking, it could be that extended vibration damaged (or excessively worn) a couple of components. Such as the ball joint, etc.

It’s hard to tell for sure, but the movement in your video doesn’t seem too unusual to me. Can you verify that it’s only the wheel hub causing the motion? Are other components moving along with it? (Such as the tie rod.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don’t think the clunking would come from the CV axle. That could cause the vibration at higher speeds. The ball joint or the tie rod would be a more likely cause of the clunking. I was just thinking that because you have vibration when braking, it could be that extended vibration damaged (or excessively worn) a couple of components. Such as the ball joint, etc.

It’s hard to tell for sure, but the movement in your video doesn’t seem too unusual to me. Can you verify that it’s only the wheel hub causing the motion? Are other components moving along with it? (Such as the tie rod.)
Yea good point, now I'm leaning towards the lower ball joint. The tie rod doesnt move at all when I wiggle the rotor. The strut tower and rotor with drive shaft just moves. I gotta look up a diagnose lower ball joint youtube video. Thanks rjsilva.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Inner or outer tie rod?

Edit: Oops..never mind. You say there's no movement in the tie rods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts