Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, had new brakes installed, for reasons I won’t go into, will not return to that shop to have them fixed.
My brakes look perfectly fine however when I’m coming to a stop they squeak and shudder sometimes. They also make a strange sound. There is also a significant build up of brake dust on the rims.

youtu.be/74uxDstFJPI

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
258 Posts
do they FEEL perfectly fine though? new brakes often times need a burn-in period, to burn off the preservative layer on them - pads and rotors alike. brake parts made from different materials produce different amounts of brake dust so you cant really get away with that unless you constantly get car washes. lol.

also, not sure if hyundai does this as i haven't done a brake job on mine just yet but i've seen it on pretty much every japanese car i've worked on (and the ones where i didn't see it, were supposed to have it lol) - there are retaining springs for the brake pads on each caliper (front and rear) that keep the pads in place while you drive and aren't braking to prevent squeaking as the wheels roll. if those are missing and they're supposed to be there, that might be it... however unlikely. honda calls them "drag reduction" clips.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They feel perfectly fine, no loss in braking power compared to my 15’base model I had just before getting this one. I took it all apart, and noticed the grease was gritty and dirty due to all the brake dust contamination so I cleaned it up. Sanded surfaces and relubed. Helped for maybe 3 days before the squeaking returned. I’m going to take it apart this weekend(again) and post pics of what it looks like. I was told the rotors are steel and the pads are ceramic with steel bits embedded, so that had me thinking it’s possibly the materials and ceramic on metal rubbing that produces the squeak, but why only when coming to a stop(maybe 10km/h below). I currently HATE stops signs, red lights and traffic(more than usual)

But if you listen carefully, it sounds more than a squeak, it’s sounds like, a shudder, a wet shudder or something

·
Registered
258 Posts
i just checked out the video. that definitely doesn't sound good lol.

now when you had new brakes installed, did you just get pads? something sounds warped.

·
Registered
882 Posts
They may forgot to clean the new brakes so the oil just making noise. Don't buy cheap metallic pads they wear the rotor faster and the dust make the rims dirty. Get ceramic pads which OEM does

·
Registered
66 Posts
After watching the video I see you have the same issue I had in the past. when I replaced my brake pads and spring pads, from other brands, first was akebono and now duralast I replaced the spring pad and toss away the oem, and I noticed the spring pad comes in contact with the rotor on the top, after some modifications to the spring pad I shaved it down a bit to give it clearance and the sound went away, but I didnt feel comfortable and ordered 4 brand new oem spring pads.

Attachments

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Squeak means too many shortcuts taken.

Shudder means rotors weren't turn properly or replaced.

Worst case scenario for excessive brake dust is calipers hanging up. Some pads will dust more than others so you'll need to know the brand/pn that the shop installed.

Its time to start over with a proper no-shortcut brake job.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I forgot the mention I have the 2.0T model which comes with bigger rotors then the 2.4L.

·
Registered
258 Posts
After watching the video I see you have the same issue I had in the past. when I replaced my brake pads and spring pads, from other brands, first was akebono and now duralast I replaced the spring pad and toss away the oem, and I noticed the spring pad comes in contact with the rotor on the top, after some modifications to the spring pad I shaved it down a bit to give it clearance and the sound went away, but I didnt feel comfortable and ordered 4 brand new oem spring pads.

great point. are these the pad holding springs/clips? that sit on the caliper bracket? new pads usually come with a new set of those FYI, OP. i typically change or clean them with a wire brush and brake clean with every pad change or seasonal cleaning

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
What little I could hear on my cheap speaker,, friction sound.. friction material grip mismatch for load applied,, sounds like a discount tire-muffler shop that offer lifetime pad warranty..

Pictures of pads and rotors ??

·
Registered
66 Posts

great point. are these the pad holding springs/clips? that sit on the caliper bracket? new pads usually come with a new set of those FYI, OP. i typically change or clean them with a wire brush and brake clean with every pad change or seasonal cleaning
Yes they are, its best to reuse the ones that come with the car as long as possible until they need replacement.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes they are. I replaced my front brake pads 6 times already and all had the same results until my last pad change and ordered the new oem spring clips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts