Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello channel! New user here but I have been following for the past few weeks. It's been awesome to see all the palisade love.

I am deep into the car hunting process and wanted to engage this community on their process and data they collected during making their decision that might make life easier. I promise to contribute to the channel in the future to "pay it forward"

So me and my wife are moving from Florida to NC, with a baby on the way. We need a decent size SUV for the baby(and future #2) and to commute back and forth from Cary, NC to Florida(9 hour drive). I have been searching for an SUV and the palisade is something we both fell in love with.

Full disclosure there is some bias here...I have been a diehard Toyota fan my whole life, I have really enjoyed the incredible reliability and pretty much zero maintenance on my toyotas. Starting our search I was set on either a 4runner or highlander. They both broke my heart. 4runner has zero convenience features including no automatic lift gate, its super out of date! Highlander had an incredibly poor drive and felt incredibly cheap for the $. With our hearts broken we went to test drive a Pilot and a Palisade. As such we liked both but we both loved the Palisade more. I also am awaiting the 2020 highlander to see if they fix the driving experience. I have to make the purchase by February to meet our travel dates and arrival of our baby.

So to my question...my reservations on the palisade are 100% tied to reliability since I like to own cars for 8-10 years minimum. I love everything about the car. My reservations are tied to the "fear of first model year" issues and having to deal with any reliability issues(I am biased from my toyota experience), especially since we will be in a new city and taking the car on 9 hour journeys every few months. I am asking the channel if they stumbled upon any research or data that made them "take the leap" and created a sense of comfort with the reliability of a first model year and if this was their first hyundai. I am 100% aware of the warranty that Hyundai offers but I don't feel a large sense of comfort because I want my purchase to last well beyond the warranty and I don't want to have issues during a long journey.

Thank you channel for any information or data you can provide to help me make a decision in the next month or 2.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hyundai (and Kia/Genesis) now have some of the most reliable cars out there. They’ve closed the gap with Japanese manufacturers, sometimes passing them. But don’t take my word for it, see what Consumer Reports has to say just this week: https://www.consumerreports.org/media-room/press-releases/2019/11/mix-of-affordable-luxury-hybrid-and-large-vehicles-top-consumer-reports-annual-auto-reliability-survey/index.htm

Specifically, this part:
“Japanese brands, led by Lexus, Mazda, and Toyota, in that order, continue to be the best for new car reliability in CR’s survey. Another Japanese brand, Subaru, ranked seventh overall. But three Korean brands also made it into the top 10—Genesis, Hyundai, and Kia, in that order. The survey findings show that Korean brands have closed the gap with the Japanese brands by producing vehicles that are reliable.”

Our Palisade isn’t our first Hyundai. But the first one (2012 Sonata 2.0t) hasn’t exactly been an enjoyable ownership experience due to design issues causing reliability issues. Yet we still bought a Palisade. The new car is amazing.

There are a couple issues that several people are reporting but Hyundai is actively working on them. One of them is vibrations at high speeds. That has now been addressed by a TSB and vehicles built after July don’t have the issue. The other issue is wind noise at high speed. This is also being addressed by a TSB supposedly although no one has yet posted it.

It appears that there is a new recall for bolts on curtain airbags, but it’s not showing online yet and not everybody is getting notified. There appears to be a similar recall on the Santa Fe.

Overall, that’s pretty good for a brand new model. Read up on the 2020 Ford Explorer, which is also completely new for 2020, for horror stories about issues on a new vehicle. See here for example: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2020-ford-explorer-launch-production-quality/#ftag=CAD7f780fb

In conclusion, current info says the Palisade is a pretty good choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello channel! New user here but I have been following for the past few weeks. It's been awesome to see all the palisade love.

I am deep into the car hunting process and wanted to engage this community on their process and data they collected during making their decision that might make life easier. I promise to contribute to the channel in the future to "pay it forward"

So me and my wife are moving from Florida to NC, with a baby on the way. We need a decent size SUV for the baby(and future #2) and to commute back and forth from Cary, NC to Florida(9 hour drive). I have been searching for an SUV and the palisade is something we both fell in love with.

Full disclosure there is some bias here...I have been a diehard Toyota fan my whole life, I have really enjoyed the incredible reliability and pretty much zero maintenance on my toyotas. Starting our search I was set on either a 4runner or highlander. They both broke my heart. 4runner has zero convenience features including no automatic lift gate, its super out of date! Highlander had an incredibly poor drive and felt incredibly cheap for the $. With our hearts broken we went to test drive a Pilot and a Palisade. As such we liked both but we both loved the Palisade more. I also am awaiting the 2020 highlander to see if they fix the driving experience. I have to make the purchase by February to meet our travel dates and arrival of our baby.

So to my question...my reservations on the palisade are 100% tied to reliability since I like to own cars for 8-10 years minimum. I love everything about the car. My reservations are tied to the "fear of first model year" issues and having to deal with any reliability issues(I am biased from my toyota experience), especially since we will be in a new city and taking the car on 9 hour journeys every few months. I am asking the channel if they stumbled upon any research or data that made them "take the leap" and created a sense of comfort with the reliability of a first model year and if this was their first hyundai. I am 100% aware of the warranty that Hyundai offers but I don't feel a large sense of comfort because I want my purchase to last well beyond the warranty and I don't want to have issues during a long journey.

Thank you channel for any information or data you can provide to help me make a decision in the next month or 2.
I have been a Hyundai owner and also a Kia owner since 2007. They make great cars and no-one can touch their awesome warranty. I am totally sold on the company. Both of my cars have been the best ones yet and I am now a senior so I have had many models of the years. I too am looking hard at the Palisade also but leaning more towards the Kia Telluride. I will probably wait until the second year roll up because of the new model issues that seem to happen. Right now with the Palisade, as a previous user has alluded to, there seems to be an on-going vibration issue up through 65 MPH that I do not believe Hyundai has a handle on it yet. No reports yet of that issue on the Telluride, plus I just think it looks better. Good luck on your car hunt. Here is an article on the vibration issue with the Palisade: https://palisadeforums.org/threads/palisade-awd-vibration-rumble-between-65-73-mph.117/

·
Registered
1 Posts

The Pilot is a good vehicle but they do not have the new fancy radio issues under control yet. Lots of speaker cracking and display issues. No fix has been announced yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been a Hyundai owner and also a Kia owner since 2007. They make great cars and no-one can touch their awesome warranty. I am totally sold on the company. Both of my cars have been the best ones yet and I am now a senior so I have had many models of the years. I too am looking hard at the Palisade also but leaning more towards the Kia Telluride. I will probably wait until the second year roll up because of the new model issues that seem to happen. Right now with the Palisade, as a previous user has alluded to, there seems to be an on-going vibration issue up through 65 MPH that I do not believe Hyundai has a handle on it yet. No reports yet of that issue on the Telluride, plus I just think it looks better. Good luck on your car hunt. Here is an article on the vibration issue with the Palisade: https://palisadeforums.org/threads/palisade-awd-vibration-rumble-between-65-73-mph.117/
The Telluride also has the vibration problems. And Hyundai does have a handle on it, as I mentioned in my earlier post: they've issued a TSB explaining how to fix it and that models built after July 27 are not affected:

PS: credit to someone else who posted this screenshot on another forum. It isn't my screenshot.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts

Hi - I live in CO and Toyota is the largest selling brand, but visiting mountain towns Toyotas - Tundras, Tacomas, 4runners are the predominant choice of many active outdoor types. So these vehicles are a good match for that usage - rugged, ladder frame, high clearance and stellar Toyota reliability. I don't understand why anyone would for example choose a 4Runner for non off road use as you point out the lack of features, arguably dated design and the fuel economy is poor. But they do continue to sell well.
Most people that shop vehicles are impressed by Hyundai's value proposition - price/features/reliability, it is compelling and for most a practical, solid choice. But Hyundai/KIA continue to be missing from the lists of vehicles people keep the longest on the road , those lists are dominated by Lexus, Toyota, Honda and a few select american made brands, for Toyota, Lexus and Honda you will pay a premium for that longevity and for most people choosing a Hyundai is more than good enough. I have a 2013 Sante Fe sport and it's been flawless, but at 80k miles I can discern some degradation in ride quality and tightness, but have on multiple occasions taken it on some roads it wasn't designed for but it survived.
For your intended usage including what sounds like long highway drives I think the Palisade would serve you well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for the feedback! One of the things I did see on the palisadeforums.org is that extending your bumper 2 bumper to 100K/10years is 2K more. I figured if I get an SEL at 35K with the extended warranty it will be cheaper than a 40K+ Honda Pilot so it may make sense. I wish I could wait for the second model year but I can't, need to buy by Feb max.

At this point I am waiting on 2 things:

-To see if more TSBs get published for things like the wind noise:
-To see how the 2020 Toyota Highlander stacks up!

Thanks again everybody!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts