Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I replaced the steering coupler in my 13 Sonata Hybrid. But when we buttoned everything back up my steering wheel is somehow upside down now. Car drives perfect and no pulling but the **** wheel literally is inverted. I can’t for the life of me figure out how this happened or how to return it to the correct position.

We did not disconnect the column from the driveshaft knuckle or remove the wheel. Literally just dropped the column and replaced the coupler. The only thing we did different than any of the videos I’ve seen is my buddy went a little gung ho and removed the tilt adjustment lever which wasn’t necessary.

Anyone else run into this problem or anyone have any advice on how to correct? I’m losing my mind. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Not that this will help...but I don't recall anyone having that problem! Is it throwing any code?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No codes. No apparent issues with the clock spring or anything like that. Just literally upside down.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I see your predicament...if you loosen the U-joint under the EPS, which way to turn it not to screw-up the clock-spring?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SOLVED:

When my buddy removed the tilt lever he also slid the column forward far enough that it disconnected the linkage. From there somehow the wheel got turned around and when we put it back together it slid back together perfectly so neither of us noticed.

Reversed the process today and reset the steering wheel and everything works great. I might need an alignment but it doesn’t seem like it right now.

Moral of the story DO NOT DISCONNECT THE TILT LEVER AND PIN WHEN DOING THIS REPAIR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts