Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was away on a trip for a week after coming back my 03 hyundai elantra wont start. Everything seems to be good when the key is in the on position. The stereo and the lights are on. But when I turn the key to start the car everything shuts off and the car wont start. Then the lights or stereo wont even turn on. What could be wrong any ideas?

PS: Its not the battery I took the battery to get checked they said the battery is fine.

·
Read Only
538 Posts
I would look at the starter. Old time mechanics (like me) used to hit 'em with a hammah 'cuz they were pretty easy to get to. It was a 50-50 shot.

Who are the "they" who checked the battery?

Maybe you could try jump starting it, if you have jumper cables.
Everything is dimming because the starter is drawing too much current when you turn the key to the start position.

Oh yeah, :00000732:

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
PS: Its not the battery I took the battery to get checked they said the battery is fine.
You can't always trust battery tests.
For one thing, the battery itself can be intermittent.

The other common problem is a loose or corroded connection at one end of the main battery cables.

A voltmeter is needed to do much more yourself.
Charging the battery or jumping from another battery might get you going.....and give a valuable clue as to what might be wrong.

Bottom like: if the battery is more than 3 years old, I'd replace it and then check the connections and the charging voltage.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Everything is dimming because the starter is drawing too much current when you turn the key to the start position.
But that would not cause the other lights to STAY off after you release the starter. ;)

It's possible but there are several things that are MUCH more likely to be causing the problem than the starter itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts