Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Costa Rica and before that New York City and I didn't have a car so everything is a challenge. Anyway - now I have a problem, the passenger front door won't open from inside or out, neither handle on the inside or out works. The lock goes up and down and the handles move but you can feel that they are not connected to anything. I took it to two mechanics and they shrugged.

If I can't open the door, I can't take the panels off and look inside the door. Has anyone got any ideas on what I can do? I hate to destroy my door panel.

Thanks Kathy

·
Registered
249 Posts
Remove the passenger seat, unbolt all bolts, and just pull hard. You will break just 1 bolt placed on the side of the doors :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
this would have been awesome if you were still trapped in your car
LOL I thought the same thing, the title caught my attention so I had to click on it.

I think to better explain what Boka is talking about you should check out this thread:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/184-mc-2006-2011-accent/139654-remove-door-panel.html

Which has pictures but also links to this thread which had a nicer write-up:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/184-m...-accent-2008-radio-speaker-removal-guide.html

Think what Boka is talking about breaking is the 1 or 2 screws on the side (facing the rear). According to my Haynes you also have to remove the side mirror trim. I've never removed the door on an Accent but IF your lucky you might be able to get away with prying the panel out just enough without breaking anything but being able to reach in and pull the rods/levers to open it. Just don't be rash and blame me if you get your hand stuck or something :p Also, you'd probably have to rip thru the plastic vapor barrier but that's easier and cheaper to replace I'd imagine.

Surprised 2 mechanics just shrugged you off. You might wanna try avoiding them for your next repairs :mad: They're either not very skilled, or they only wanna do easy stuff they can make quick $$ from. Not a good way to win customers over IMO. Yeesh, at the very least they coulda recommended someplace else to go if they didn't wanna deal with it themselves.

I also have no knowledge of this, but maybe someone can attest to using a tool like a Slim-Jim (whatever its called) or some other tool thieves commonly use... :confused:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I also have no knowledge of this, but maybe someone can attest to using a tool like a Slim-Jim (whatever its called) or some other tool thieves commonly use... :confused:
call a locksmith. most of them have one of these for people who lock their keys in their car. this would be my first call to see if they can open your doors so you can get the door panels off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Slim-jims work by accessing the link between the lock and the lock button (or lever or whatever) and un-locking the car, but you still need the handle to work after the slim-jim unlocks it. I'm thinking it won't do much good here, unless the door handle link is floating in space and can be snagged from the inside.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
good point. looks like you have to break your door in one way or another to get into it.

the door panel is screwed on around the rear of the door, with 2 screws, there is also one in the door handle, and one in the door pocket that you pull to close the door. the rest is just clips. problem is, even if you get the 2 middle screws out, you most likely wont be able to pull the door panel off because it is blocked by the dashboard. You can try, but its going to be a big pain in the butt. even if you can get the clips (some of them) to pop loose, the dash will fight you trying to slide the door panel up to lift it off the door. And those 2 pesky screws around the rear of the door panel that you havent unscrewed yet.

Taking all that into consideration I would just accept that the door panel will be broken one way or another to get behind it. and just plan on replacing it with used door panel.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Try the locksmith route, professionals like those that do safe cracking will have small cameras on flexible arms that can be poked through a 6MM hole to see whats going on. These cameras are getting so cheap even a lot of auto parts shops have them these days. One small hole may let you see what has fallen off and let the locksmith snag the busted bit with the slim jim type tool. Busting everything sounds like hard work. Otherwise go the Hulk!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Remove the panel on the door that still works and have a look at the mechanism, and see where it has probably failed, and where the main link is. Might give you a couple ideas before calling a lock smith

·
Registered
54 Posts
the door panel is screwed on around the rear of the door, with 2 screws, there is also one in the door handle, and one in the door pocket that you pull to close the door. the rest is just clips. problem is, even if you get the 2 middle screws out, you most likely wont be able to pull the door panel off because it is blocked by the dashboard. You can try, but its going to be a big pain in the butt. even if you can get the clips (some of them) to pop loose, the dash will fight you trying to slide the door panel up to lift it off the door. And those 2 pesky screws around the rear of the door panel that you havent unscrewed yet.
D'OH! You're right, I didn't even think about the Dash portion on the front which is on the opposite side of those screws.

Remove the panel on the door that still works and have a look at the mechanism, and see where it has probably failed, and where the main link is. Might give you a couple ideas before calling a lock smith
Hey, that's a good idea! Even if the OP has to bring it somewhere, just doing that would allow the locksmith/mechanic/whomever to possibly figure something out. Maybe they can just drill a hole where some linkages are and use some pliers to pull on it.

I wonder if locksmiths or someone else knows how the latch hooks into the door striker, maybe there's a way to manipulate a tool into undoing it from the seam on the inside...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not much help but here's a portion of the door with the inside handle. You can see the cable running down to the latch mechanism. With the outside handle it's probably a metal bar going straight down, and it probably failed on the latch since neither work.

[/URL]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Actually, it's probably just the lock mechanism that failed. When you pull on the inside handle you should be able to here the latch mechanism in the door (just checked on mine) If you do hear it, the door is locked and that's your problem.

The driver door unlocks with the handle, but not the passenger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts