Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Azera Limited keeps blowing its backup fuse (10amp) whenever I so much as move an inch in reverse. Moving from P to D (or even past the manual gate) is OK, as long as I don't take my foot off the brake when passing R.

I've so far burned through 4 fuses and still don't know what the problem is.

Here's some history:

The first time this happened yesterday AM, I just replaced the blown b/up fuse with the spare 10amp and the car ran fine the whole day, including several feet of reversing.

The second time this happened was today AM. I ran out of extra fuses, and decided to use the ABS (10amp) fuse instead, to be able to go pick up extra fuses at the local autoparts store. On the drive, I kept seeing check engine and ABS failure messages on the IP, as expected.

After I replaced the 2nd blown fuse, the check engine light came on. I didn't have my code reader with me (it's a funky bluetooth obd reader + android tablet, and i don't always carry the tablet). Had the local gas station look at the codes, and was told of "speed sensor" and a "high-speed controller link" error codes.

Reversed out of the parking spot at the gas station, and the fuse blew again. Twice.

Nothing on the car (other than as described above) has changed in the past several months. I haven't had the car washed for over 6months, but did drive in the rain several weeks ago. There haven't been any other changes at all (I opened the hood up just yesterday after several weeks of not needing to). The car is stock, there haven't been any major modifications (except, I removed an aftermarket nav system and put the stock 6cd radio back, but that was several months ago).

I'm pretty sure there's some sort of electrical fault somewhere, but can't quite figure out what / where.

Please help! I'm not quite sure what to look for next. Thanks!

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Please help! I'm not quite sure what to look for next. Thanks!
FIRST you should look at the bulbs in the rear that come on in reverse (backup lights). A shorted out/burned out bulb can blow the fuse; so can a corroded socket.

The bulbs probably are a common type and inexpensive.
While you have them out, get some new ones.......and retest for the problem with both bulbs removed.
IF it still blows with both bulbs removed......and the sockets don't look corroded.....then there probably is a pinched wire somewhere.
Finding that might be better left to a shop.

After you get that sorted out, you may need to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset those other codes that probably resulted from the ABS system being down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easy Rider, thank you. I'll go ahead and check the bulbs tonight - might as well buy a couple on my way home. I parked so I don't need to reverse, and should be able to make it out, at least.

I'll send out an update later tonight when I've had a chance to eliminate this as a potential issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all done - awesome!

@Easy Rider, I replaced the backup lamps with new bulbs (these are Sylvania type 921, in case anyone wants to know), cleared the stored ECU codes, and it took the car out for a quick test drive in forward and reverse gears.

Looks like whatever the problem was, is now gone.

Funny, because the old bulbs looks physically OK and don't show any indication of burn, and the sockets look brand-spanking clean, too.

I'll update my post if any related issues crop up, but till then, thank you for a working solution!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
back again!

...and, it's back again. Today, I pulled out of the garage in reverse, and as half of the car was outside, moved the shifter to N from R, letting it coast for around 10ft. While still coasting, the instrument panel stick indicator went blank (an empty square instead of a filled-in one with R in it).

Replaced the b/up fuse (sure enough, it was blown) and made sure I wasn't in reverse any more on today's drive.

What else can I look at to make sure this is fixed? I have an entire set of electrical tools, and can open up *some* of the car to attempt to debug this.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
While still coasting, the instrument panel stick indicator went blank (an empty square instead of a filled-in one with R in it).

Replaced the b/up fuse (sure enough, it was blown) and made sure I wasn't in reverse any more on today's drive.
Two things about this have me a bit confused.
Is the instrument panel gear display REALLY fed by the same fuse as the backup lights themselves ??

And you seem to be overly concerned about the lack of backup lights. It is kind of a safety device but I'm not sure they are even required by law. Does something else go out when that fuse goes ??

The symptoms sound like a pinched wire somewhere and unless you have added a trailer hitch or some other major after-market component, I suspect that you are going to need a shop to trace out the backup lights wire and find the short.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply!

I'm only concerned just a little with the backup lamps themselves - after all, they're mostly a safety thing. Though, regardless of legality, I really would prefer if all of the car works the way it should :)

But the problem is this - the car certainly goes into something like limp home mode when this fuse blows. D doesn't do much other than rev the engine pretty high, and only moves the vehicle with a lot of reluctance. Manual shifts also don't do much - I suspect it goes into a mid-range gear and stays there, ignoring all manual inputs.

I don't think the IP indicator light is fed directly by this fuse, but I'm that this wiring certainly contributes to some sort of electronic signal.

But I suppose you're right - time to take it in. Thank you!

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
But the problem is this - the car certainly goes into something like limp home mode when this fuse blows.

But I suppose you're right - time to take it in. Thank you!
I think that is more important.....and a more significant symptom than the backup lights going out. ;)

Maybe b/up doesn't even stand for "backup lights". Have you actually checked them when the fuse goes ??

I'm a little confused that the car doesn't drive right when this happens.....indeed almost doesn't go at ALL......yet you only mention the backup lights in your posts. :confused:

Not throwing any rocks at you; it seems that lots of folks don't mention all the symptoms and some don't mention the most important ones but it is always somewhat confusing when that happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ouch. I thought I mentioned in my original "help!" post that the car was pretty much immobilized when this fuse blew, but looks like I forgot that slightly-important piece :)

Yeah, not really worried about the actual lights themselves, but about all the interesting results when this happens.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Backup light fuse blowing off on XG350L

I have a 2002 XG350L. For the last couple of months I am having the same issue. The code read was Transmission range sensor and the speed sensor. No change it is still doing the same thing. The backup light is connected to the Transmission range sensor. When the fuse blows off all transmission gear lights in the IP goes off and the transmission shifts with a big jerk. you have to shut down the engine and restart in order to move the car. Like you said it goes in only one gear. I dropped my car with the mechanic yesterday hoping to get it fixed if not then I will have to take it to the dealer to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
IDK about you. but first place I would look is at the raido.. cuz you mentioned swapping out a nav unit for the radio.. Maybe a wire got loose and is touching something it's not supposed to.. Esp if you had a rear video cam on that Nav unit you took out...

·
Registered
135 Posts
The backup lights won't be on a 10A circuit - that is waaay too much for them and even if the bulbs were shorted it wouldn't pop that high of a fuse, as the bulb filament would torch way before then. If the lights aren't lighting it is because the car isn't going into reverse - which as posted earlier - is where the actual problem lies. Please keep us posted on what you guys find from your dealers on this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I have Galloper 98. II. And same fuse problem. Always blow "B/UP Lamp Cluster". If engine working before blow the fuse, u can continue drive, only dashboard dont show speed, RPM, Diesel and Temp. also el. window not working, and sometimes reverse g. light. If You stop the engine, then even car can't start again. No glow plug, no nothing. Must change fuse. Problem growing, now even no time to heat glow plugs with a new fuse. Fuse blow immediately together with glow plugs relay click.

P.S. Sorry, car another, but the problem same

1 - 13 of 13 Posts