Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Have a 2010 Sonata 2.4L GLS with an ignition lock cylinder that won't turn. Key slides in and out easily and wheel lock does not appear to be the problem. 3 different keys in use for some time now. last few days, acting up in the cylinder and now none of them will turn at all.

From all I have read, should be as easy as swapping out either the switch at the back of the ignition assembly or the cylinder at the front depending on which part is failing, however both those swaps require the key being turned to either the "run" or "accessory" position for the switch or cylinder, respectively? Unfortunately, I can't get the key to turn anywhere from the "lock" position, so I'm thinking I have to disconnect the wire harness from the switch and remove/replace the entire assembly, right?

I've seen plenty of instructions for replacing either the switch or the cylinder, but I haven't come up on anything that tells how to remove the entire assembly. Assuming the steering wheel lock falls into play somewhere in the middle?

Anyway... when I enter the VIN for this car into a Hyundai parts site, it says the assembly I need is part# 81920-3KF01 and *not* 81920-3KF00 like what I get if I only entered the year and model? The key is just a standard blank with no chip, cut on both sides... not one of the more modern with the groove cut in the middle of the blank.

Now that I have my sad story out there... I'd appreciate any info anybody can provide on what I'll need to deal with in taking out this entire assembly for the specific VIN. I'm thinking if I can get the whole thing out, maybe I can bring it to a locksmith and see if they can fiddle with the cylinder and possible get a key to turn in it so I can remove the switch and the cylinder for inspection and repair as needed.

Anybody know what the difference is between the 81920-3KF01 (for this car) and the 81920-3KF00 for most of the others? Any tricks to removing the whole thing from the dash?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance you can offer as well as anything to watch out for during the whole process.

Best regards,
rjb

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,577 Posts
It would seem to me that something got into the lock cylinder
And is forcing one or two of the pins to not align properly
Have seen this with trunk lock
Put key in and key would not turn
Took lock out to examine
Sprayed WD-40 and brake cleaner
Finally something come out and released the cylinder
Now trunk lock working.
Suspect something similar with ignition cylinder
Try some cleaner and be careful of the excess
Don't want to cause more problems due to it being near so many other wires

Hopefully that works.
Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I've tried some silicone spray in the cylinder but something seems to have it jammed. I will turn just a little bit but not make it over to accessory :-/ Been playing with it for a few hours on and off.

At this point, I'm thinking the whole assembly needs to come out but as far as I can see it looks like the barrel of the assembly is cast with a plate that bolts under the steering column? I'm guessing the wheel lock goes through there somehow?

I'm going to start researching "how to remove/replace steering lock" and see if I can find any more info on how to remove the whole assembly (switch/cast barrel/cylinder) while still together since I can't get the switch or cylinder off.

Anybody able to point me to a 2010 Sonata GLS 2.4L service manual?

thanks again for your reply,
rjb

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Replace a pile of key cylinders in them.. Need to get cylinder to rotate to ACC to be able to push pin and pull key cylinder assembly out the front

We dont goof with the old cylinder, we just take it apart to recover brass tumblers (numbered) for matching new cylinder assembly to old key so car stays a 1 key car with same code as shipped by Hyundai..

Get the cylinder out,, take it to locksmith, maybe $30-50 for clean and repair and be on your way,, with new cylinder and recode at dealer, I think we at rough $350

Make real sure key dont look all wore out / rounded off

We keep cylinder on shelf almost always at our place

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi sbr711,

Thanks very much for the note. I'd love to get the cylinder out... I just can't get this key to turn to Accessory. What would you do next if the key just won't turn and you can't get that cylinder out?

thanks again for your help!
rjb

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hi sbr711,

Thanks very much for the note. I'd love to get the cylinder out... I just can't get this key to turn to Accessory. What would you do next if the key just won't turn and you can't get that cylinder out?

thanks again for your help!
rjb

Easy,, insert key, and tap on key to jiggle internals to get sticking tumblers to move to where they align and allow cylinder to rotate..

Around here we sell new cylinder assembly, so light tapping on face of cylider wont matter if we ding it up,, it getting new part.. but usually some sort of rattle effect will get cylinder to unlock and rotate

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,577 Posts
What sbr711 is suggesting ... is to bump key the cylinder lock to get it to turn to acc
Put key in and tap lightly with the back of a screw driver and turn key
If timed right then should allow the pins to align and key to turn
Hope that works
Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What sbr711 is suggesting ... is to bump key the cylinder lock to get it to turn to acc
Put key in and tap lightly with the back of a screw driver and turn key
If timed right then should allow the pins to align and key to turn
Hope that works
Good luck
Thanks! Will give another try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PROGRESS + Question :)

Okay... neighbor's son spent time fiddling with the key and got it to turn. Cylinder has been REMOVED :)

Two questions:
1) Should we go ahead an replace the SWITCH also as long as we have things apart? Looks like it is cheap enough? I'm just worried we'll get this put back together with a new cylinder only to have it jam up again because the switch was actually broken. That make sense, or not likely?

2) Hyundai parts says cylinder assembly 81920-3KF00 is *NOT* valid for our VIN. (we can find this part on Amazon as low as $65)
Hyundai parts says we need cylinder assembly 81920-3KF01 for our VIN.

It looks to me like 81920-3KF00 and 81920-3KF01 are the exact same cylinder. Only difference I see is that it looks like 81920-3KF01 *ALSO INCLUDES* a new cylinder for the driver door and glove box.

Would any of you be able to confirm this for us? We'd like to just pick up the ignition cylinder 81920-3KF00 on Amazon for $65 if that's all we really need. (might bring it to a lock smith and have the tumblers changed). Just need to make sure that cylinder, 81920-3KF00 *will* work with this car.

Car specifics are:
2010 Hyundai Sonata Old Body Style
Sedan - 4Door 5P; 2.4L Theta 2;DOHC - MPI;
Gasoline - Unleaded; 5AT 2WD Left Hand Drive;
Weather - The Temperate Zone

I'd rather not post the VIN if I don't need to, but the non-unique parts are:
5NPET4AC1AH654321 (654321 *not* actual number)

Thanks for all the help!
rjb

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Okay... neighbor's son spent time fiddling with the key and got it to turn. Cylinder has been REMOVED :)

Two questions:
1) Should we go ahead an replace the SWITCH also as long as we have things apart? Looks like it is cheap enough? I'm just worried we'll get this put back together with a new cylinder only to have it jam up again because the switch was actually broken. That make sense, or not likely?
Switch on end of column lock module not been a problem part

2) Hyundai parts says cylinder assembly 81920-3KF00 is *NOT* valid for our VIN. (we can find this part on Amazon as low as $65)
Hyundai parts says we need cylinder assembly 81920-3KF01 for our VIN.

It looks to me like 81920-3KF00 and 81920-3KF01 are the exact same cylinder. Only difference I see is that it looks like 81920-3KF01 *ALSO INCLUDES* a new cylinder for the driver door and glove box.
We keep a ignition cylinder on shelf most of time,, easy to swap, and code to old key,, other wise you have a 2 key car,, unless you do a complete lockset swap,, but then you need to not lose the new key code, as looking up code on Hyundai will give back what was originally installed at build

Would any of you be able to confirm this for us? We'd like to just pick up the ignition cylinder 81920-3KF00 on Amazon for $65 if that's all we really need. (might bring it to a lock smith and have the tumblers changed). Just need to make sure that cylinder, 81920-3KF00 *will* work with this car.

Car specifics are:
2010 Hyundai Sonata Old Body Style
Sedan - 4Door 5P; 2.4L Theta 2;DOHC - MPI;
Gasoline - Unleaded; 5AT 2WD Left Hand Drive;
Weather - The Temperate Zone

I'd rather not post the VIN if I don't need to, but the non-unique parts are:
5NPET4AC1AH654321 (654321 *not* actual number)

Thanks for all the help!
rjb
I cannot look up "actual" correct part as assigned to your VIN because the the last 6 dont belong to chassis we want parts for...

VIN not of a whole lot of value out in open,, I can walk across lot and see all the VIN in world looking at bottom left of windshield.. doesnt tell me who owns car or where you live..

As somebody with Hyundai Dealer login, I will be able to ID car, see open recalls, warranty claims, who and when it was sold retail

Send me VIN, I'll get somebody to look up tomorrow,, otherwise, call or visit local dealer with VIN to verify actual part number

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
thank you

Just a quick thanks to everyone for the suggestions and info, and particularly to sbr711 for confirming the part number for me via VIN and catalog lookup. (the VIN says this car needs 81920-3KF01)

neighbor took the cylinder to a locksmith and had them check it out. They fiddled with it somehow and it seems to be working better now, though the key still feels a little odd. reassembled with same part and will likely look at having Hyundai make a new key based on VIN number to see if the trouble is basically from old worn keys not hitting the pins reliably.

thanks again to all,
rjb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts