Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

I am new to this forum, clearly, but also pretty new to forums overall, so I apologize in advance for breaches of etiquette I am sure to commit.

I joined specifically because I am having problems with my 2008 Veracruz. Since buying it used about 4 years ago, we have been having problems with the brakes. Specifically there is some shuddering in the pedal and the car overall when braking at low speeds - typically between 25 and 15 mph.

A few years ago I saw some internet chatter about a recall done on brake light switches, so I contacted the dealer in our area and had them replace the switches, despite being notified that they had already been replaced by a previous owner. At the time we were also experiencing issues with the ignition not turning and the shifter getting stuck. Replacing the switches resolved the ignition issues, but did nothing about the (I presume) inappropriate engagement of the ABS. The dealer would not honor the recall on the switch, and we were charged for the replacement, to my frustration.

It's been a few years now though, and it is getting a little more consistent, and the braking seems worse overall. We took it to a brake shop here, and they did one last machining on the discs and replaced the pads - but this did not help, and recently we finally got some lights on the dashboard - ABS, ESB and Emergency Brake I think. They pulled a code or two, and told us the HECU will need to be replaced - this will be in the 2k plus range, and that's getting a little hard to justify for a car this age and mileage, but I would do it, if I felt confident that the suggested repair would actually resolve these issues.

I've done a little more searching, and I have seen a number of complaints from people who have replaced this and not seen issues resolved. So, finally, my question for users who have experience - did Hyundai ever get this part of the vehicle line fixed? Will a repair of the HECU likely resolve problems, or simply be another step in chasing a gremlin which appears to haunt these cars?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
You will get more and probably correct responses if you post this question in the sub section for your model car not in the new member area. This is to introduce yourself not for tech questions and does not get many views

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I did wonder if I shouldn't, but then I had already done this, and didn't want to post too many places. I appreciate the suggestion and will repost this under Veracruz. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts