Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2012 Elantra LE here. Love this whip! Lucked out and got it used with nav system and the works.

Anyway, to why I'm here... Just got a dash cam which is great but I was looking to see if there's a non destructive way to get it to power from the ceiling since it has power sunroof. The cable I got isn't long enough to wrap around the dash. Figured this might be something others have tried and there'd be a DIY somewhere.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I don't have the same car as you, but you could do something similar.

Here's a video i found on youtube for the GT.

Forward the video to about 2:28 into the video for useful info. It shows you how you run the cable. Then you need something like this. ITRONICS ITB-100HD 8GB Full HD Car Black Box Recorder with GPS Record

The cig lighter end of the cable goes into the device above. You then have 3 wires. A yellow wire which needs constant power. A red wire which only provides power when the ignition is to turned on (engine doesn't have to be on). Red wire works like your radio does. Only turns on, when the ignition is on. Then you have a ground wire (black), which should be connected to bare metal, or a grounding point. Painted metal won't work well, so if there's paint, do not use that area, or sand that area down with sand paper.

So what you want to do with the red and yellow wires is find a fuse the has power at all times, and find one that has power when the ignition is turned on. You can test by using a multi-meter/volt meter, or test light. Once you find the appropriate fuses. Pull out the fuse, wrap the yellow wire around the metal end of the fuse which has constant power all the time. Then wrap the red wire around the fuse with that provides power only when the ignition is turned on. Re-insert fuses back into the appropriate slots.

Then insert the cig lighter end into the uninterrupted power supply device. This should provide you with a cleaner looking install, and provide you with constant power at all times. This will activate "parking mode" if your dash cam has that feature.

Note: I haven't done this yet, because I'm waiting for the dash cams to go on sale later this week. I have ordered my uninterrupted power supply from ebay already.

Also, you don't have to order this particular uninterrupted power supply. There are other brands, and they have a cut off feature, so you don't drain your battery.

Curious, what dash cam do you have?

I'm getting the DOD ls330w. Its the same as the DOD ls430w, but without the gps tracking info, which I don't care about. Image quality is the same on both cams

1 - 4 of 4 Posts